[comp.unix.sysv386] EISA boards

lbert359@pallas.athenanet.com (Lee Bertagnolli) (12/05/90)

I received a list of EISA boards from AST last week, and I thought that I
would share it with the net.  Which of these items come with Unix drivers
is not specified, but the product list with phone numbers should prove
imminently useful for those who custom-build or hack their own systems.
If anyone out there knows what Unix/Xenix drivers are available for
these boards, please let me know and I will re-publish this list,
showing which boards come with drivers for which versions.

All products listed are supposed to be currently shipping.  All these boards
are 32-bit boards.  Nearly all the boards listed indicate bus mastering
capabilities.  The absence of a "Yes" under the "Bus Master" column merely
notes that bus mastering capabilities were not specified on AST's list.

I have double-checked the phone numbers with AST's list. I can assure
you that the phone numbers are only as accurate as AST has provided them.
Good luck.

Hard Disk Controllers:
                                             Bus
Manufacturer    Phone Number  Product       Master  Description
------------    ------------  -------       ------  -----------
Adaptec         714-838-6000  AHA-1740       Yes    SCSI Host Adaptor
Always Tech.    818-597-1400  AL-4000        Yes    SCSI controller
Bustek          408-492-9090  BT-742A        Yes    SCSI Host Adaptor
Data Technology 714-863-0304  DTC-3190E      Yes    SCSI Host Adaptor
                              DTC-6190E      Yes    ESDI controller
DPT             407-830-5522  PM2012/90      Yes    SCSI without floppy
                              PM2012/95      Yes    SCSI with floppy
Interphase      214-919-9000  E/SCSI 4810 Lynx
                                             Yes    SCSI Host Adaptor
Mylex           415-683-4600  DCE376         Yes    SCSI Host Adaptor
Ultrastor       415-623-8955  Ultra22 EISA   Yes    ESDI Cache control'r
Western Digital 714-863-7903  WD7000EX              SCSI Host Adaptor

Network Adaptors:
                                             Bus
Manufacturer    Phone Number  Product       Master  Description
------------    ------------  -------       ------  -----------
Codenoll Tech.  914-965-6300  8300/8301      Yes    Fiber Ethernet Adaptor
                              9500/9300      Yes    FDDI Adaptor
Madge Networks  408-441-1300  Smart 16/4     Yes    Token Ring Adaptor
Mylex           415-683-4600  LNE390                Ethernet Adaptor
Novell          801-379-5900  NE3200         Yes    Ethernet Adaptor
Proteon         508-898-2800  ProNET 4/16    Yes    Token Ring Adaptor
Racal Interlan  508-263-9929  ES3210                Ethernet Adaptor
Standard Microsystems
                516-273-3100  EISA3200       Yes    Arcnet Adaptor (Coax/TP)
Torus Networks  223423131     TNP 32                Ethernet Adaptor

Video Adaptors:
                                             Bus
Manufacturer    Phone Number  Product       Master  Description
------------    ------------  -------       ------  -----------
Mylex           415-683-4600  GXE020B        Yes    Hi-Res Graphics Adaptor
Sigma Designs   415-770-0100  L-View EISA           Hi-Res Graphics Adaptor

Multiuser Adaptors:
                                             Bus
Manufacturer    Phone Number  Product       Master  Description
------------    ------------  -------       ------  -----------
Chase Research  44-246-52260  EISA 16        Yes    multiports board
Computone       215-964-0652  ALC EISA       Yes    Async ports board
Digiboard       612-922-4287  Digichannel C/X       multiports board
Specialix  011-44-9323-54254  SI/EISA               mulitports board

--
+ Lee Bertagnolli                +                      Voice: (217) 544-0270 +
+ Athenanet, Inc.                +                      Data:  (217) 525-9019 +

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/12/90)

I must say my first expreience with an EISA system has been a nightmare,
and the perceived improvements certainly don't outweigh the pain.

HARDWARE:
	ALR PowerCache 4e (486)
	600Meg disk,
	24 Meg RAM,
	Corollory 8x4 multiplexed serial board (32 ports),
	Western Digital EtherPlus 16.
	Wangtek 150Meg Tape

SOFTWARE:
	ESIX Rev D

PROBLEM:

The systems (two identical ones) crash sporadically when reading or
writing the tape drives. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it causes
kernel panics (the lovely kind that try to dump system RAM into swap).
The problem was not repeatable at will, but frequent enough to make the
systems useless for their intended applications.

SOLUTION:

Moving the Wangtek tape controllers from EISA slots to the 16-bit ISA
"compatability" slots resolved that problem. The tapes now work just fine.

SIDE-EFFECT:

Now the system panics sometimes, with the same error messages, when
reading from or writing to ... the floppy!

If indeed the EISA slots are supposed to, by definition, be backwards
compatible with ISA slots, why would moving a board from an EISA slot to
an ISA slot change the machine's behavior?

Or is this a "standard" that each manufacturer implements differently? :-(
--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/14/90)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I must say my first expreience with an EISA system has been a nightmare,
>and the perceived improvements certainly don't outweigh the pain.
>
>HARDWARE:
>	ALR PowerCache 4e (486)
>	600Meg disk,
>	24 Meg RAM,
>	Corollory 8x4 multiplexed serial board (32 ports),
>	Western Digital EtherPlus 16.
>	Wangtek 150Meg Tape
>
>SOFTWARE:
>	ESIX Rev D
>
>PROBLEM:
>
>The systems (two identical ones) crash sporadically when reading or
>writing the tape drives. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it causes
>kernel panics (the lovely kind that try to dump system RAM into swap).
>The problem was not repeatable at will, but frequent enough to make the
>systems useless for their intended applications.
>
>SOLUTION:
>
>Moving the Wangtek tape controllers from EISA slots to the 16-bit ISA
>"compatability" slots resolved that problem. The tapes now work just fine.
>
>SIDE-EFFECT:
>
>Now the system panics sometimes, with the same error messages, when
>reading from or writing to ... the floppy!
>
>If indeed the EISA slots are supposed to, by definition, be backwards
>compatible with ISA slots, why would moving a board from an EISA slot to
>an ISA slot change the machine's behavior?
>
>Or is this a "standard" that each manufacturer implements differently? :-(

This is the precise reason that I want to avoid EISA.  If you all thought I
was screaming because of the recommendations of EISA over MCA I got.  You
ain't seen nothing, if I would have gone EISA (haven't bought the system yet)
over MCA and something like this would have happened, I would have screamed a
hell of a lot more.  :)

Such behavior is no where near acceptable for a Unix box.

Of course, WangTek tape drives (save their DAT's) aren't that great of a
machine.  I remember adding one to a customer's Sun SPARCstation 1+ and it
never quite did work 100% of the time.  Finally, it died completely a couple
of weeks ago.  I called up MicroNet for the RMA and found out they don't
bundle WangTek tape drives with their storage systems anymore.  Too many
problems with them.  So I ended up replacing the WangTek with what MicroNet
supports now; a Tandberg.  Never had a problem with it again.

Since MicroNet hasn't given me anything but acceptable service for me and my
customers, I will side with them on matters concerning the reliability of a
given manufacturer.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

In article <6316@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>This is the precise reason that I want to avoid EISA.  If you all thought I
>was screaming because of the recommendations of EISA over MCA I got.  You
>ain't seen nothing, if I would have gone EISA (haven't bought the system yet)
>over MCA and something like this would have happened, I would have screamed a
>hell of a lot more.  :)

One example of some hardware incompatibility (and there was no obvious
explanation for the problem) and you are sure that EISA is terrible?

Some things to remember with EISA at this time:

	1.  It is fairly new, so there may be problems with some
	    implementations (the same kinds of problems that exist with
	    some ISA implementations).

	2. Most OSs have not yet been tested/modified to work correctly with
	   EISA (don't know if this is true for ESIX, but ISC2.2 requires
	   a fix disk to work correctly with EISA).

I'm not saying EISA is "the" way to go, just that like any new toy, you can't
expect to run at the cutting edge of technology and not experience some
problems.

>Such behavior is no where near acceptable for a Unix box.

Yup.  But if the Unix vendor does not say thier product will work with
an EISA board, you are on your own.  The same goes for unknown ISA boards.

>Of course, WangTek tape drives (save their DAT's) aren't that great of a
>machine.  I remember adding one to a customer's Sun SPARCstation 1+ and it
>never quite did work 100% of the time.  Finally, it died completely a couple

Oh my god,  the VME bus must be the problem (if they still use VME?) :-)

(this is what you sound like when you sound off about EISA with the
slightest hint that someone had a problem.)

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (12/15/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <6316@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>This is the precise reason that I want to avoid EISA.  If you all thought I
>>was screaming because of the recommendations of EISA over MCA I got.  You
>>ain't seen nothing, if I would have gone EISA (haven't bought the system yet)
>>over MCA and something like this would have happened, I would have screamed a
>>hell of a lot more.  :)
>
>One example of some hardware incompatibility (and there was no obvious
>explanation for the problem) and you are sure that EISA is terrible?

Actually, no, I may consider EISA, but I want to eliminate all potential
problems before they happen.  One of which, I don't want to be a lab rat for
X's implementation of EISA on Y's flavor of Unix.

>Some things to remember with EISA at this time:
>
>	1.  It is fairly new, so there may be problems with some
>	    implementations (the same kinds of problems that exist with
>	    some ISA implementations).

The main problem is that with the new wave of EISA machines is that you are
going to be a lab rat.  Why be a lab rat?  Also, the problems with ISA have
been, for the most part, ironed out.

>	2. Most OSs have not yet been tested/modified to work correctly with
>	   EISA (don't know if this is true for ESIX, but ISC2.2 requires
>	   a fix disk to work correctly with EISA).

True, but shouldn't EISA be backwards compatable to ISA?  Put the EISA slots
in ISA mode and they should work fine, right?  Well, they don't seem to, do
they?  The one problem that I have is that the problem machine posted is an
ALR PowerCache 4e which is Novell and SCO certified.  Ok, barring that in
mind, if you don't take advantage of the special capabilities of EISA, your
ISA cards should work fine, right?  Wrong, this poor soul's tape drive
controller bombs his system.

>I'm not saying EISA is "the" way to go, just that like any new toy, you can't
>expect to run at the cutting edge of technology and not experience some
>problems.
>
>>Such behavior is no where near acceptable for a Unix box.
>
>Yup.  But if the Unix vendor does not say thier product will work with
>an EISA board, you are on your own.  The same goes for unknown ISA boards.

I read between the lines on that statement.  If a vendor doesn't support EISA,
I read that to be "our product doesn't support the full capabilities of the
EISA bus."  All of the EISA hype is that it is backwards compatable with ISA,
correct?  And this isn't some generic EISA board, but from a major 80x86
system vendor that has the seal of approval from Novell and SCO.  Should work,
based on all of what EISA is supposed to do.

Enough of the third degree.  Do you now see my point about why one should be
weary of EISA and why I am seriously considering MCA as opposed to EISA?

EISA may be just perfect for someone else, but I don't want to be a lab rat.
Why be a lab rat when I can get a 386 or 486 machine with a system bus that
has seen the light of day longer than EISA?

I will admit that the tape drive controller may not be the problem with the
Powercache 4e and the WangTek tape controller, but it looks awfully
suspicious to me when the controller is pulled out of the EISA slot and works
better in the ISA slot.

The only real way to isolate if it's the Powercache's EISA bus is to build an
identical system on an ISA machine.  If it works on the ISA machine, then you
know it's the EISA bus on the Powercache.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

In article <6316@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

| Of course, WangTek tape drives (save their DAT's) aren't that great of a
| machine.  I remember adding one to a customer's Sun SPARCstation 1+ and it
| never quite did work 100% of the time.  Finally, it died completely a couple
| of weeks ago.  I called up MicroNet for the RMA and found out they don't
| bundle WangTek tape drives with their storage systems anymore.  Too many
| problems with them.  So I ended up replacing the WangTek with what MicroNet
| supports now; a Tandberg.  Never had a problem with it again.

  We have a lot of Wanteks in Suns, and they seem reasonably reliable. I
don't know what your dataset is (more than the one machine I assume), we
have about 400 Suns, with maybe 100 tape equipped. My buddy who sells
database applications with a server bundled likes them, and he may have
to fly a thousand miles to install a new one in some cases.

  I can't compare with anything in quantity, but they have always been
good to me.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX