[comp.unix.sysv386] UHC Migration Offer

lbert359@pallas.athenanet.com (Lee Bertagnolli) (12/08/90)

In the January 1991 issue of Unix World, UHC is advertising a $395 upgrade
of any V386 Unix to their version of 4.0.  The ad states that for your old
diskettes and $395, you get a two-user license, man pages, and a hard copy
of the installation guide.  With the base OS, there are 17 add-ons, including
"BSD compatibility, FMLI, FACE, Remote Terminal Utilities and Xenix
compatibility."  The software comes on 3.5", 5.25" floppies, or on 150MB
QIC tape.

Anyone have any experience with UHC, good or bad?  What are the other
add-ons?  How much does an upgrade to more users cost?  And so on?

--
+ Lee Bertagnolli                +                      Voice: (217) 544-0270 +
+ Athenanet, Inc.                +                      Data:  (217) 525-9019 +

tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) (12/12/90)

In article <460@pallas.athenanet.com> lbert359@athenanet.com (Lee Bertagnolli) writes:

>Anyone have any experience with UHC, good or bad?  What are the other
>add-ons?  How much does an upgrade to more users cost?  And so on?

The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

If anybody has seen a fix to this problem, PLeeeezzzee let me know.

Oh, and to answer you question, UHC is no worse than any of the others.

--
Tom Stewart -- archmaster of irritation and useless information
		I am irritated!  ---- Lt. Worf ST:TNG

In article <786@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

| The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
| cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
| If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
| Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

  We saw this problem, too, and it went away...

| If anybody has seen a fix to this problem, PLeeeezzzee let me know.

  When the disk controller was upgraded. With a controller which has
correct timing at least the Dell runs in a 33MHz 486. Runs, hell, flies.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (12/13/90)

tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:

>In article <460@pallas.athenanet.com> lbert359@athenanet.com (Lee Bertagnolli) writes:
>>
>The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
>cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
>If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
>Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

>If anybody has seen a fix to this problem, PLeeeezzzee let me know.

Microport hasn't had ANY problem running SVR4 on high speed machines; 25MHz 486
EISA, 33MHz 386 with/without Cyrix 33MHz math coprocessor.  What exactly are the
symptoms? - I missed the first part of this thread.  Do the ALRs have a unique
memory or bus system?  Does this happen to any systems besides ALR?

Richard

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root@mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc@mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "

In article <786@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> tas@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (Tom Stewart) writes:
>The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
>cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
>If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
>Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

I had UHC's SVR4 running on a 33MHZ 386 with 8MB of memory for more than
two weeks with no problems/panics.  Later I realized that my real work
workstation was only 25mhz, so we switched motherboards around in three
machines so that we ended up with a 20MHZ system for UHC SVR4.

No problems since the switch either.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/14/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>I had UHC's SVR4 running on a 33MHZ 386 with 8MB of memory for more than
>two weeks with no problems/panics.  Later I realized that my real work
>workstation was only 25mhz, so we switched motherboards around in three
>machines so that we ended up with a 20MHZ system for UHC SVR4.

>No problems since the switch either.

I've recently been hearing horror stories about Intel release 4.0
panics and dumping on 33 mhz 486 machine with the machine just
sitting there with TCP/IP installed.  Without TCP/IP, the machine
would run for a couple of days before dumping..

The boot disk marked
Adaptec 15X2 wouldn't boot on an Adaptec - but would boot on a Bustek.

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@mailrus.cc.umich.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (12/15/90)

In <22@mport.COM>, duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) wrote:

| The stuff I've tried (latest and greatest) still doesn't work on fast
| cpu's.  33Mhz Acers and 486/25Mhz Alrs machine have all had numerous panics.
| If you slow the CPU down below 25mhz (386) all the SVR4 ports (AT&T, UHC,
| Microport) that I've tried seem to work ok.

| If anybody has seen a fix to this problem, PLeeeezzzee let me know.

> Microport hasn't had ANY problem running SVR4 on high speed
> machines; 25MHz 486 EISA, 33MHz 386 with/without Cyrix 33MHz math
> coprocessor.

The current rumor is that it's only SCSI controllers, maybe adaptec,
maybe the device driver, that doesn't work right if the 486 runs at
33MHz.  I have not tested this configuration myself.

I know for fact that at least our SysVr4 works at 33MHz just fine with
ESDI - I run my work machine at that speed most of the time.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

In article <51197@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

| The current rumor is that it's only SCSI controllers, maybe adaptec,
| maybe the device driver, that doesn't work right if the 486 runs at
| 33MHz.  I have not tested this configuration myself.
|
| I know for fact that at least our SysVr4 works at 33MHz just fine with
| ESDI - I run my work machine at that speed most of the time.

  I expect to know later this week. We're getting SCSI for a 33MHz
system (Dell 433E) and will shake it out in several disk configurations.
I'm moving this off an SX, but it's been on a 486-25 for a while too.
The system has never, ever, paniced. Even while loading X from tape
while building a kernel and running a DOS process with direct access to
its i/o ports for a scanner.

  We're going to try 766MB ESDI with UltraStor, 766MB ESDI with CompuAdd
cache controller, and Adaptek and 400MB SCSI. In all configurations it
will be tested with NFS in place, running a "magic make" of 2000 modules
on multiple 386's and the 486, with the 386s NFS mounting the filespace.
If double digit load averages will break it, we'll know.

  If it breaks I'll call the Dell guys at home Christmas eve and tell
them... I'm kidding James!
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX