[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC 2.2 VPIX - Environment size

jay@iti.itinet (Jay Rohr) (12/18/90)

Does anyone know how to increase the amount of environment space in VPIX,
(DOS environment).  All my attempts at changing CONFIG.SYS have failed. This
is not really surprising, since every version of DOS has done it differently.
Any suggestions would be a great help.

|Jay J. Rohr                                Innovative Technologies, Inc.|
|(703) 734-3000                                   7927 Jones Branch Drive|
|                                                 McLean, Virginia  22170|

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.021335.4175@iti.uucp> jay@iti.itinet (Jay Rohr) writes:
>Does anyone know how to increase the amount of environment space in VPIX,
>(DOS environment).  All my attempts at changing CONFIG.SYS have failed. This
>is not really surprising, since every version of DOS has done it differently.
>Any suggestions would be a great help.

It's not really VP/ix per se, it's the presence of those TSR redirect
utilities normally loaded in a VP/ix task's AUTOEXEC.BAT initialization.
I used to have to wrestle with this under native DOS too.

There is a COMMAND.COM switch to allocate environment space (/E:nnn,
where nnn is either bytes or paragraphs depending on the version of DOS,
thank you very much Microsoft).  In your CONFIG.SYS say

	SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:2048 /P

This is what I use with DOS 3.3 which interprets /E in bytes.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can CHEAT as follows:

*** in autoexec.bat

  set DUMMY1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xxx   (100 or so)
  set DUMMY2=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xxx
  set DUMMY3=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...xxx

   ... as many as will fit in the /E:nnn space you provided

Then later on just unset DUMMY1..n for more E-space.

--
Psychoanalysis is the mental illness   \\\    Tom Neff
it purports to cure. -- Karl Kraus      \\\   tneff@bfmn0.BFM.COM