[comp.unix.sysv386] A question on the popularity of SCO Unix

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (12/08/90)

I have been reading the thread on the deficiencies of SCO Unix especially
related to security.  If SCO Unix is just so difficult to deal with, why
is it so popular?  Why is competition from other versions of Unix
destroying SCO Unix?  What would be a suitable replacement?

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec7.183300.1310@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
	cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>If SCO Unix is just so difficult to deal with, why
>is it so popular?  What would be a suitable replacement?

VMS.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

In article <1990Dec7.183300.1310@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

| I have been reading the thread on the deficiencies of SCO Unix especially
| related to security.  If SCO Unix is just so difficult to deal with, why
| is it so popular?  Why is competition from other versions of Unix
| destroying SCO Unix?  What would be a suitable replacement?

In order of your questions:
 1a) because it is still a good product and you are hearing from a vocal
     minority (which include me) who find the benefits small and the
     cost in system administration large.
 1b) because lots of Xenix users were convinced that this is the wave of
     the future
 1c) good manuals, lots of drivers, lots of marketing, no better support
     available and lots worse, online man pages, cross compile to Xenix,
     OS/2, and MS-DOS.

 2)  It isn't.

 3)  Dell V.4 is a very cost effective system. However, in every case
     you should do a head to head comparison of SCO, ISC, ESIX, UHC
     (V.4), and Dell (v.4) before deciding. Caveat: count the add-on
     package costs if you need them, and look at bundles like
     OpenDeskTop. The big surprise is NFS which may be bundled or cost
     $300-500 depending on vendor. Oh, and hidden costs, like Dell only
     shipping on tape currently.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) (12/12/90)

In article <2542@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes a bunch
of stuff I mostly agree with, but then:

- 3)  Dell V.4 is a very cost effective system. However, in every case
-     you should do a head to head comparison of SCO, ISC, ESIX, UHC
-     (V.4), and Dell (v.4) before deciding. Caveat: count the add-on
-     package costs if you need them, and look at bundles like
-     OpenDeskTop. The big surprise is NFS which may be bundled or cost
-     $300-500 depending on vendor. Oh, and hidden costs, like Dell only
-     shipping on tape currently.

Urgh.  I've installed several different flavors of UNIX from floppies.  I
would not wish that sort of menial labor on my worst enemy.  Anyone who
configures a UNIX box without a tape drive, and any UNIX vendor who doesn't
ship their kit on tape, should have their head examined.  With decent tape
drives with controllers coming in well under $500...  it sure is worth $500
to me to not have to shuffle floppies for four hours.
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell@redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)

In article <1612@redsox.bsw.com> campbell@redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:

| -     $300-500 depending on vendor. Oh, and hidden costs, like Dell only
| -     shipping on tape currently.
|
| Urgh.  I've installed several different flavors of UNIX from floppies.  I
| would not wish that sort of menial labor on my worst enemy.  Anyone who
| configures a UNIX box without a tape drive, and any UNIX vendor who doesn't
| ship their kit on tape, should have their head examined.

  But that's your option. After all, the install only takes about 4
hours from floppy, and you are unlikely to do it often, and on a small
system you can backup only the user files, which may be small enough to
put on floppy.

| ship their kit on tape, should have their head examined.  With decent tape
| drives with controllers coming in well under $500...  it sure is worth $500
| to me to not have to shuffle floppies for four hours.

  I have a tape on every system I own, but I would not give up having a
home UNIX system because I couldn't afford to buy a tape drive.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/16/90)

As quoted from <2599@sixhub.UUCP> by davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
+---------------
|   I have a tape on every system I own, but I would not give up having a
| home UNIX system because I couldn't afford to buy a tape drive.
+---------------

I would --- I had to backup a 3b1 with a 67MB drive to floppy a few times.
I'm not about to try that again without a tape drive!

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

In article <1990Dec16.024543.9817@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| As quoted from <2599@sixhub.UUCP> by davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr):
| +---------------
| |   I have a tape on every system I own, but I would not give up having a
| | home UNIX system because I couldn't afford to buy a tape drive.
| +---------------
|
| I would --- I had to backup a 3b1 with a 67MB drive to floppy a few times.
| I'm not about to try that again without a tape drive!

  The first incarnation of sixhub many years ago was one of the earliest
7300's, running on a paltry 1MB. Doing backups just like the ones you
mention is what led to the original version of the "bundle" program.

  I don't back up to disk any more, but if I lost a tape drive I
certainly would, as opposed to not backing up. Old mainframe guys
believe that dumps are not important they're *vital*.

  I would give up beerfor a week or two to save up for a tapedrive
though...
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

klm@gozer.UUCP (Kevin L. McBride) (12/20/90)

In article <1737@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <1990Dec7.183300.1310@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>	cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
>>If SCO Unix is just so difficult to deal with, why
>>is it so popular?  What would be a suitable replacement?
>
>VMS.

CP/M.

--
Kevin L. McBride     |Contract programming (on and offsite)   |Brewmeister and
President            |X, Motif, TCP/IP, UNIX, VAX/VMS,        |Bottle Washer