[comp.unix.sysv386] 80>2<87

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (12/19/90)

I have a 386 motherboard from the dawn of time sitting here , 8 MEG ram ,
385meg HD (split between SCSI and ST506/Perstore) with VGA and so on.

I like the system, and recently got a free 80287 to put on it ...

Yes, 80287! This motherboard is from a million years ago and has no 80387
socket. So , on the '287 goes.

Does anyone know if the ISC kernel will find and use it ? Is there a
DIFINITIVE way to tell if it has found it , and to test for future errors
(like, if it emulates 3 of 4 instructions, will the FPU emulator get the
last one or will my system halt ...)

The guy at ISC had no idea at all, and Intel says that is a valid, supportd
hardware combination that they had pushed before the 387's were ready to get
motherboards designed.

Can someone send me a simple benchmark that I can use to test it ? If it
will help X11 I'll be VERY happy.

Any replies much appreciated, I can summarize if there is interest.

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= The belief that by forcing one to be "Politically Correct" in speech    =
= you can change what one thinks or feels, and so *CONTROL* the thoughts  =
= and bend them to the patterns *YOU* wish is one that George Orwell      =
= would have enjoyed seeing sweep the nation as it has, as predicted.     =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterprises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.         =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/20/90)

In article <276e44eb-1d5comp.unix.sysv386@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:
>Does anyone know if the ISC kernel will find and use it ?

Yes, it will.  There is a sysi86 call to find out the FPU kind:  1 is for an
emulator, 2 is for a '287, and 3 is for a '387, I believe.  This is in the
stock 3.2 release from AT&T, so there's no reason to believe ISC would have
lost it.

>and to test for future errors
>(like, if it emulates 3 of 4 instructions, will the FPU emulator get the
>last one or will my system halt ...)

Your system won't panic (or shouldn't); if you try to execute a '387-only
instruction, you should get a SIGABRT or something similar.

>Can someone send me a simple benchmark that I can use to test it ? If it
>will help X11 I'll be VERY happy.

Check out your boot message; it should tell you what kind of FPU is
available, if any.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."