[comp.unix.sysv386] Let's collect configurations for Roell X11R4...

cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) (12/13/90)

I have had no luck firing up Mike Knister's ESIX port of Roell's X11R4
server on my Orchid ProDesigner w/ 512K.  It uses a supported chipset
(ET3000), and I think my problem is simply not being able to guess a
suitable Xconfig entry (I have a plain VGA monitor, so 640x480x256 is it).
It occurs to me that for every ten ignorant blokes like me there might
be a guy who knows enough to decipher the configuration documents and
get it working.  I would like to volunteer to gather configurations
from anyone who is using Roell's server, and circulate them to anyone
like myself who is in need.

Anyhow, Danke Sch:on to Herr Roell, and muchos gracias to Mr. Knister
for making your efforts publicly available.  You guys are heros...
--
--

roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Thomas Roell) (12/14/90)

>get it working.  I would like to volunteer to gather configurations
>from anyone who is using Roell's server, and circulate them to anyone
>like myself who is in need.

This is a great idea!!! I would like to collect all configurations, and tips,
to include them into the next release.

BTW, why are so few people sending me suggestion, what to make better in the
next release of the server. I would like to know, what other PD-programs
should be included in the binary distribution, and what x-clients are never
used? Should there be preformatted man-pages ? Please write all your ideas
and suggestions.

- Thomas
Mail:                    Thomas Roell (c/o Daniel Hernandez)
                         Inst. f. Informatik / Technische Universitaet M"unchen
                         Arcisstr. 21 / 8000 Munich 2 / Fed.Rep. of Germany
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
UUCP (when above fails): roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (12/17/90)

In article <589@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

> [...]           I would like to volunteer to gather configurations
>from anyone who is using Roell's server, and circulate them to anyone
>like myself who is in need.

Thanks very much for voluteering, great idea!

Is anyone doing anything about a Hercules port?  Any hints on where to start?

>Anyhow, Danke Sch:on to Herr Roell, and muchos gracias to Mr. Knister
>for making your efforts publicly available.  You guys are heros...

I second that motion.  Thanks!  Anything to keep these things out in
the public where they can be well supported.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

uri@arnor.uucp (12/18/90)

In article <589@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, cjeffery@cs.arizona.edu (Clinton Jeffery) writes:

|> I have had no luck firing up Mike Knister's ESIX port of Roell's X11R4
|> server on my Orchid ProDesigner w/ 512K.  It uses a supported chipset
|> (ET3000), and I think my problem is simply not being able to guess a
|> suitable Xconfig entry (I have a plain VGA monitor, so 640x480x256 is it).

For my display (Samsung, 800x560 resolution, Multisync) and Orchid ProDesigner
card (512K on-board) I have:

	ET3000 864 606 25 28 35 45 "800x560"

	"800x560" 35 800 904 1048 1144  560 570 574 589

I'd assume for your display you'd need to pick up the one from Xconfig:

	ET3000 864 606  25 28 35 45 "640x480"

	"640x480" 25 640 672 768 800   480 490 492 525

and probably, I'd change 492 to 494 in the last line. The only concern I'd
have would be your monitor: I could experiment freely (more or less :-) with
my multisync, but you want to be careful and not to burn your VGA!

Well, anyway according to the docs (which I suggest you to check out yourself -
don't tale my word!) the entry I copied should be OK for most 640x480 displays.

|> Anyhow, Danke Sch:on to Herr Roell, and muchos gracias to Mr. Knister
|> for making your efforts publicly available.  You guys are heros...

And from me!! It's great! Now I see what X11 should look like!
--

Regards,
Uri Blumenthal			uri@ibm.com,angmar!uri

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (12/18/90)

I've configured X11R4 for the Orchid ProDesigner. Here's what I did.

1. You need to look at the directory in /usr/lib/X11/config/X386
for the README and Xconfig file. The job is to basically modify the
Xconfig file for you VGA and display.

2. Step One involves finding the crystal speeds. For the Orchid
ProDesigner Plus (512k) with the ET3000 chip set these are:
	28 25 35 45 65

3. I set it up for 800x600 mode. I actually specified the resolution as
846x606 or whatever the absolute max is. It works, but it depends on you
monitor.

4. The video timing for at 14" VGA monitor with a max scan rate of 36kHz
and 100kHz vertical:

	using the 35 crystal: 35/36 * 1000 = 972 rounded to nearest
multiple of 8 = 976.

5. The other two you can play with. Start them around 850 and 920.

So you get for horizontal timing: 800 850 920 976

and vertical timing, use what they do and tweak the middle two
paramters. For the extended setup use

H: 846 850 920 976	and V: 606 600 605 631

It works, but I haven't found it to be substantially faster than X11R3
from ESIX.

	...Martin

Martin Schedlbauer				(mschedlb@ulowell.edu)
Institute for Visualization and Perception Research
Department of Computer Science
University of Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854		(Tel: (508) 934-3612)

uri@arnor.uucp (12/21/90)

In article <1615@ulowell.ulowell.edu>, mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
|> I've configured X11R4 for the Orchid ProDesigner. Here's what I did.
|> 2. Step One involves finding the crystal speeds. For the Orchid
|> ProDesigner Plus (512k) with the ET3000 chip set these are:
|> 	28 25 35 45 65
|> 3. I set it up for 800x600 mode. I actually specified the resolution as
|>
|> So you get for horizontal timing: 800 850 920 976
|>
|> and vertical timing, use what they do and tweak the middle two
|> H: 846 850 920 976	and V: 606 600 605 631
|>
|> It works, but I haven't found it to be substantially faster than X11R3
|> from ESIX.

Let me strongly disagree. I couldn't believe its speed, when I got it
running! On my machine (386 20MHz, 8MB RAM, lots of hard disks :-) it
runs MUCH faster than ESIX Rev.D X11R3.

I don't know yet what it would look like with TCP support added
though.