[comp.unix.sysv386] Intel HUB Serial Board

thssdwv@iitmax.IIT.EDU (David William Vrona) (12/12/90)

Does Intel still make the HUB 6 port serial board?  I am looking for an
inexpensive UART based multiport board that is compatible with FAS, i.e. one
interrupt for the entire board (non-sharable).  Anyone have a used HUB to sell?

andyc@bucky.intel.com (Andy Crump) (12/13/90)

David> Does Intel still make the HUB 6 port serial board?  I am looking for an
David> inexpensive UART based multiport board that is compatible with FAS, i.e. one
David> interrupt for the entire board (non-sharable).  Anyone have a used HUB to sell?

Intel is selling them until the end of '90, then they will be phased
out.  Call any Intel field office or 1-800-INTEL-4-U.
--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc@littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc@littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec17.112731.3258@oct1.UUCP> mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>In article <4624@iitmax.IIT.EDU> thssdwv@iitmax.iit.edu (David William Vrona) writes:
>>Does Intel still make the HUB 6 port serial board?  I am looking for an
>>inexpensive UART based multiport board that is compatible with FAS, i.e. one
>>interrupt for the entire board (non-sharable).  Anyone have a used HUB to sell?
>
>Only just.  Intel is stopping taking orders for the HUB-6 on 31/12/90.
>Last deliveries 6/91.
>
>I am not sure that FAS will drive the HUB-6.  I have a HUB-6 and a
>serial port with FAS in my system, and FAS does not see the HUB-6 -
>but I have not told it to look for it.  If I were you I would try before
>you buy.

Without special handling I doubt that FAS would handle the HUB6. It has an
incompatible method for accessing the UARTS.

Basically if memory serves .. you have two I/O addresses. You output the port number
and the UART register number to the first port and then read/write to the second
port. Suprisingly this does not add a very large amount of overhead to the driver if
done right.

If anyone is really interested I can dig out details. Assuming that FAS can be
convinced to handle the I/O like that it would be able to handle the HUB6. And I
have also put 16550's on a HUB6 without problems.

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca