[comp.unix.sysv386] sysadm backup error

rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) (12/21/90)

In ISC 2.2:
I'm unable to do incremental backups of /usr/spool (separate filesystem)
because the history file 'xxxusr/spool' is not being written to
/etc/save.d/timestamp when I do complete backups of /usr/spool.
The error is being reported thusly when I run 'sysadm filemgmt backup'
and select a complete backup to tape:

/etc/savecpio: 8122usr/spool: cannot create

The files in /usr/spool appear to be backed up OK during the complete
backup, just the history file is not written, thereby not allowing
incremental backups--they are disallowed with the error 'a complete
backup of /usr/spool needs to be done first' (I paraphrase).

I found the file /etc/save.d/except, which seems to specify files to
exclude from backups, and I commented out '^/usr/spool', but that
didn't seem to change anything.

Has anyone experienced this?
Thanks...

Rob Lingelbach rob@xyzoom.info.com -or- {well-connected}!uunet!xyzoom!rob
KB6CUN   Compuserve: 71101,176
2641 Rinconia Dr L.A. CA 90068   voice: 213 464-6266

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/23/90)

In article <159@xyzoom.UUCP>, rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:
> In ISC 2.2:
> I'm unable to do incremental backups of /usr/spool (separate filesystem)
> because the history file 'xxxusr/spool' is not being written to
> /etc/save.d/timestamp when I do complete backups of /usr/spool.
> The error is being reported thusly when I run 'sysadm filemgmt backup'

Sorry to put it this way, but I think the real "error" is to use sysadm
for backups.  I got bitten when I finally needed to restore a file, and
found out that they are written on the backup medium with *absolute*
pathnames!  Uuuurrrrrkkkkk!!!  You might want to check the version you
are using to see about this potential problem-waiting-to-happen.

Now, I just do backups with

	cd /; find . -print | cpio -ocavB >/dev/{tapedevice}

	   ^_or /usr/spool, or whatever...

You can use various options to find (i.e., for incrementals) and cpio,
and write a simple shellscript to suit your specific needs.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay