[comp.unix.sysv386] Building GNU make 3.59 in ESIX. Help needed.

fangchin@elaine39.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) (12/18/90)

Hi everyone,

I just moved GNU make 3.59 to my machine.  At first sight it didn't
look to involved to build.  I modified the Makefile and followed the
porting hints, putting in -DUSGr3 for defines, -DNO_LDAV for
LOAD_AVG, and -lPW for LOADLIBES. Typed make. After much disk churning
and plenty complains (warning: illegal pointer/integer combination, op=)
from cc (YES, I was using cc first to see if it would work), make quit
due to some unresolved symbols typically one would find in Berkeley
UNIX environment, eg. vfork, bcopy, NGROUPS, O_RDWR, O_RDONLY etc.

I was puzzled so I went back, logged into a SUN sparc, pirated some
definitions and substituted these Berkeley calls using their System V
(ESIX to be precise) counterparts in these trouble-causing modules.
Still, I got nowhere.

I gave up -DUSGr3, changed it to -DUSG (for generic System V), then this
beast compiled.  Time to try it.  I renamed it to gmake first, then
rm *.o; gmake -f Makefile to see if it would work.

It core dumped!

To make this posting short, I won't put in some other (confessedly
silly) commbinations that I tried.

I wonder could someone who has ever built GNU make (not necessarily
3.59, 3.58 is fine too) successfully give me some hints as to

(1) what I did wrong?
(2) which compilation switches I should use? and
(3) Do I need any special patch to make GNU make work in ESIX
    environment?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I truely want to see how good
gmake is as comparing to AT&T make.  Without a working copy obviously
I can't do it.  Could someone help me out?

E-mails are most welcome.  However I read this newsgroup very often,
so postings are fine too.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Dept.
Stanford University
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (12/24/90)

In <1990Dec18.060929.24079@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
	fangchin@elaine39.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) wrote:

> I just moved GNU make 3.59 to my machine.  At first sight it didn't
> look to involved to build.  I modified the Makefile and followed the
> porting hints, putting in -DUSGr3 for defines, [...]

> I gave up -DUSGr3, changed it to -DUSG (for generic System V),

From the Makefile:

# Define nothing for BSD, USG for System V, and USGr3 (as well as USG) for
# SVR3,

Try this:

$ make CC=gcc CFLAGS="-DUSG -DUSGr3"
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789