[comp.unix.sysv386] Can ISC 2.0.2 support 16mb ram

ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) (12/18/90)

I would like to know if ISC 2.0.2 will support 16mb ram.  I tried it in
a 386 25mhz and it would reboot after it began to boot from the HD.  About
that time is when it puts the information of how much  memory is in the
computer and how much is usable.

I did the same thing under MSDOS and it booted.  I know that MSDOS does not
care about anything past 640k unless a memory manager is resident but I was
just trying to briefly verify that the system did work under some type of OS.

If anyone out there has any information about this, I really would appreciate
anything on this subject.

I really do like this news group.  I hope that I can give just a little info
back.  Please direct all replies to email ellis@epc.wpg.com .

Thanks in advance for the information.

In article <186@epca.UUCP> ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) writes:
>I would like to know if ISC 2.0.2 will support 16mb ram.  I tried it in
>a 386 25mhz and it would reboot after it began to boot from the HD.  About
>that time is when it puts the information of how much  memory is in the
>computer and how much is usable.

The answer to your question is yes, ISC 2.0.2 and 2.2 can support 16MB of ram.

The problem you are running into is probably one of the following:

	1. a MB problem
	2. a MB configuration problem
	3. a conflict with a card on the bus

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec19.134222.29976@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
|In article <186@epca.UUCP> ellis@epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) writes:
|>I would like to know if ISC 2.0.2 will support 16mb ram.  I tried it in
|>a 386 25mhz and it would reboot after it began to boot from the HD.  About
|>that time is when it puts the information of how much  memory is in the
|>computer and how much is usable.
|
|The problem you are running into is probably one of the following:
|
|	1. a MB problem
|	2. a MB configuration problem
|	3. a conflict with a card on the bus

Here's one I've seen...
It could also be the printer.  ISC will continually reboot if your printer
is connected to the computer but not turned on.  Anyone have any idea why?

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

grant@bluemoon.UUCP (Grant DeLorean) (12/23/90)

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:

>Here's one I've seen...
>It could also be the printer.  ISC will continually reboot if your printer
>is connected to the computer but not turned on.  Anyone have any idea why?

 No, but I had some strange lock ups for a while. It turned out that
when the printer was turned off (being connected to the ISC machine
and turned on) the system locked up until the printer was turned back
on (this is ISC 2.2). My printer has a built in fan, so I don't mind
leaving it on (much...) but it is weird. No idea why it happens.
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon) {osu-cis!n8emr!, nstar!}bluemoon!grant
/* So just remember, if a weirdo in a blue suit comes up and offers you

lumpi@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) (12/24/90)

grant@bluemoon.UUCP (Grant DeLorean) writes:
>stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>>Here's one I've seen...
>>It could also be the printer.  ISC will continually reboot if your printer
>>is connected to the computer but not turned on.  Anyone have any idea why?
> No, but I had some strange lock ups for a while. It turned out that
>when the printer was turned off (being connected to the ISC machine
>and turned on) the system locked up until the printer was turned back
>on (this is ISC 2.2). My printer has a built in fan, so I don't mind
>leaving it on (much...) but it is weird. No idea why it happens.
It's said in the ISC 2.2 release notes (known Bugs):
With some Multi-I/O Cards, Interactive will reboot.

Theres a simple solution !

Buy another Parallel I/O Card !!

Mfg. JL
--
UseNet:	lumpi@dobag.in-berlin.de	      V42/V32 Data-Line: +49307725461
Adress:	Dobag Computer Systems,		               Fax-Line: +49307734826