[comp.unix.sysv386] What's the difference between a 1542A and a 1542B?

kevinr@sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) (12/21/90)

	I don't think that my original posting ever made it out, so I am
trying again.

	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
mastering on these boards.  Does this apply for both the A and B?  Is there a
way of telling whether the system will have trouble with the board before
forking out the money for one?  Any advanced advice would be helpful.

TIA

--
Kevin W. Rudd
Sequent Computer Systems

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/21/90)

kevinr@sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:

>	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
>1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
>386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
>mastering on these boards.  Does this apply for both the A and B?  Is there a
>way of telling whether the system will have trouble with the board before
>forking out the money for one?  Any advanced advice would be helpful.

I remember seeing your original posting, the 1542A is physically a larger
board (full sized) while the B is a 2/3 sized board.  Throughput is the
same on board boards.

The 1542 with a pair of fast SCSI drivers will out-shine most other
disk configurations (at least with 386/ix).  I am happy as can be with
the SCSI disk subsystem here on nstar --

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec21.113850.4872@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> kevinr@sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:
>
> >	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
> >1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
> >386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
> >mastering on these boards.  Does this apply for both the A and B?  Is there a
> >way of telling whether the system will have trouble with the board before
> >forking out the money for one?  Any advanced advice would be helpful.
>
> I remember seeing your original posting, the 1542A is physically a larger
> board (full sized) while the B is a 2/3 sized board.  Throughput is the
> same on board boards.

(Just my opinion, but the 1542B seems much better constructed, too.
A nice product, if you ignore the almost nonexistent tech support by phone;
the recorded message I got said, effectively, "leave us alone and go talk to
your reseller".  They must have learned to do this from ISC :-)

Due to a failed floppy controller, I just had to replace the 1542A in my
system with a new 1542B.  I was a bit nervous, too, from reading of the
above-mentioned problems, so I called ISC and ESIX, and they did not
have any reported problems on file.  In any case, I *had* to replace
the failed board real quick to get my system running again.

I tried the 1542B, and found that it works with ISC 2.0.2 and ESIX rD with no
problem (on *my* system).  I'm not sure, but I think one or two defaults may
be different.  For example, (I should really go check this, sorry...) I think
the default DMA speed for the 1542A was 5.0 Mb/sec, whereas the jumper on the
1542B is shipped as 5.7 Mb/sec.

Well, I guess I've left a hole for Roy Neese at adaptec to fill in if I'm
wrong.  Um, Roy?

And if anyone needs a 1542A with a nonfunctional floppy controller (the
hard disk controller still works), give me a buzz ...

> The 1542 with a pair of fast SCSI drivers will out-shine most other
> disk configurations (at least with 386/ix).  I am happy as can be with
> the SCSI disk subsystem here on nstar --

.. Otherwise, I'll just save it for a future upgrade!

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (12/25/90)

In article <354@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>A nice product, if you ignore the almost nonexistent tech support by phone;
>the recorded message I got said, effectively, "leave us alone and go talk to
>your reseller".

And if you are the reseller, Adaptec tells you to talk to the distributor.
The 1542B seems like a good card, but the Bustek SCSI adapter seems
equivalent functionally, at a cheaper price.  I don't jump to different
vendors to save $25.  However, I can't see paying a premium to get
lousy support.  These days I'm installing Bustek cards.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (12/25/90)

In article <1768@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
|In article <354@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
|>A nice product, if you ignore the almost nonexistent tech support by phone;
|>the recorded message I got said, effectively, "leave us alone and go talk to
|>your reseller".
|
|And if you are the reseller, Adaptec tells you to talk to the distributor...
|However, I can't see paying a premium to get [poor support...]

Interesting.... I bought my 1542B in september.  Didn't have any problems
with it, but I did have a couple of questions on its sync. abilities.  I
got the same recording as above, but somehow I also either got through or
found another number.  I just told them my distrib. wasn't available
and I had questions.   My card pamphlet mentions a bbs (I've never tried it)
at (408)945-7727 1200/2400 baud.

|Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
|Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.
|<chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>    |   - Michelle Shocked

--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/25/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

>And if you are the reseller, Adaptec tells you to talk to the distributor.
>The 1542B seems like a good card, but the Bustek SCSI adapter seems
>equivalent functionally, at a cheaper price.  I don't jump to different
>vendors to save $25.  However, I can't see paying a premium to get
>lousy support.  These days I'm installing Bustek cards.

we found the bustek to even boot Intel Release 4.0 - when
the Adaptec 1542B failed --