[comp.unix.sysv386] WORMS

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (12/27/90)

Has anyone on the network run any WORM media with ISC 2.0.2 ????

I am looking for a LARGE removable capacity and I think this will be a good
thing to look at ... what are my compatibility issues ???*

I assume these type of drives are available with scsci interfaces on them
... does Unix need to know anything else about them ?????

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=           "Yes, it crashed. And yes, it sucks vigorously!" - me         =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterprises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.         =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

dorman@chiton.ucsd.edu (Leroy M. Dorman) (12/27/90)

In article <2778d6bd-212comp.unix.sysv386@tronsbox.xei.com>, tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) writes:

> Has anyone on the network run any WORM media with ISC 2.0.2 ????
> ... what are my compatibility issues ???*
> ... does Unix need to know anything else about them ?????
>
> =========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
> === The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

I have a Maxtor RXT-800S (400Mbyte-per side) optical disk on
each of two systems, an Intel 320 Multibus I machine
(16 MHz 80386 CPU, Adaptec AHA-1530 host adapter) and
a PCAT (Intel 301 motherboard, Adaptec AHA-1540 host adapter).
The MB I machine runs SYSV.3r2.1 from Intel and the AT runs
2.0.2 from ISC.  Both machines also have Maxtor 8760S
SCSI harddisks (760Mbyte).

I'm using device drivers from Sysnet, Inc. 125 Blueberry Dr.
Scott's Valley, CA (408) 438-5120.  Their software provides
raw I/O and also partitioning service- so the WORM disk doesn't have to
be used as a single huge device.   I've had some problems: On the MB1
machine I can't copy from the SCSI harddisk to/from the SCSI WORM
(except using dd)
but everything works OK from the ST-506 disk to/from the SCSI WORM.
Sysnet has the same problem using a Maxtor WORM but not
using a Panasonic WORM.

On the AT, booting with the WORM software installed seems
to hang the Maxtor hard disk.
The WORM software for the ISC system works through the ISC
device driver, doesn't replace it.
The only harddisk the AT has is the SCSI Maxtor.
We're still working on this-stay tuned.

Software considerations:  The WORM software allows mounting
a worm partition as a filesystem but, since the hardware
is WORM, the whole filesystem is unalterable.  You have
to make the filesystem up in its final form and write it out.

Bottom line:  It's available but there are some hardware
combinations which don't work well.

LeRoy M. Dorman		Scripps Institution of Oceanography, A-015
University of California, San Diego	La Jolla, CA 92093-0215
(619) 534-2406
internet:	ldorman@ucsd.edu .OR. ucsd.edu!siolmd!dorman
omnet:   mpl.sio  .OR. sio.obs
fax:	(619) 534-6849