[comp.unix.sysv386] What's this INTERACTIVE EISA patch?

mca@medicus.com (Mark Adams) (12/23/90)

And in article <1990Dec14.144153.12315@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp
(Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> Some things to remember with EISA at this time:
> 	[ ... ]
> 	2. Most OSs have not yet been tested/modified to work correctly with
> 	   EISA (don't know if this is true for ESIX, but ISC2.2 requires
> 	   a fix disk to work correctly with EISA).

Can anyone provide more details on this "EISA fix" for INTERACTIVE? What
specific problems is it supposed to fix? What versions of INTERACTIVE
does it pertain to? I ask because we've been running DigiBoard's
DigiCHANNEL C/16 EISA cards under 2.02 and 2.2 for awhile now without
difficulty. Are we just lucky?

Thanks for any information you can give.

Mark Adams                                         Medicus Systems Corporation
mca@medicus.com                                          Clinical Data Systems
{uunet,sun!rtech,unisoft}!medicus!mca                      Alameda, California

In article <1990Dec23.014657.22214@medicus.com> mca@medicus.com (Mark Adams) writes:

>Can anyone provide more details on this "EISA fix" for INTERACTIVE? What
>specific problems is it supposed to fix? What versions of INTERACTIVE
>does it pertain to? I ask because we've been running DigiBoard's
>DigiCHANNEL C/16 EISA cards under 2.02 and 2.2 for awhile now without
>difficulty. Are we just lucky?

I *think* the problems are associated with using memory above 16MB - be it
main memory, adaptor memory, etc.  I'm not sure if there were any other
problems.  We had ISC UNIX 2.2 runing on a 486/25 EISA and could only
address memory <=16MB.  We had some problems booting with a Weitek 4167,
but have yet to try it with the EISA patch to see if that problem has
been fixed.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

root@gold.doit.sub.org (Christian Seyb) (12/24/90)

In <1990Dec23.162530.3363@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>problems.  We had ISC UNIX 2.2 runing on a 486/25 EISA and could only
>address memory <=16MB.  We had some problems booting with a Weitek 4167,
>but have yet to try it with the EISA patch to see if that problem has
>been fixed.

I am currently running ISC 2.2 on a 33 MHz Hauppauge 4860 EISA Board (Dual
Processor system i486 and i860) with 8M bytes of RAM. I plan upgrading
the memory beyond the 16M bytes in the near future (the motherboard can
hold up to 64MB of RAM).

What EISA patch are you talking about? Where do I get it?

regards Christian
--
Christian Seyb      |  Internet: cs@gold.doit.sub.org   uucp login: nuucp
Fuchsweg 86         |  Mailbox:  +49-8106-34593   24h   300-19200 PEP/V.32

support@bomber.ism.isc.com (Support Account) (12/27/90)

In article <1990Dec23.014657.22214@medicus.com> mca@medicus.com (Mark Adams) writes:
>Can anyone provide more details on this "EISA fix" for INTERACTIVE? What
>specific problems is it supposed to fix? What versions of INTERACTIVE
>does it pertain to? I ask because we've been running DigiBoard's
>DigiCHANNEL C/16 EISA cards under 2.02 and 2.2 for awhile now without
>difficulty. Are we just lucky?

The EISA bus update disk supports: primarily Compaq EISA machines
(may work on other manufacturer's machines), more than 16MB of
memory on EISA bus machines, EISA NVRAM, Compaq Intelligent
Drive Array (IDA), and Compaq 320/525 MB tapes. The update runs
on Interactive Unix V2.2.

The update part number is SP00025 (for 5 1/4" diskettes) and
SP00026 (for 3 1/2" diskettes), and is available from Interactive's
Teleservices group (at 1-800 346 7111) for US customers, or from the
European sales office (at 44 494 472383) for European customers.

..

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/27/90)

What exactly is the 2.21 upgrade about?  What does it add (and or fix)?

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

support@bomber.ism.isc.com (Support Account) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.131514.4437@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>What exactly is the 2.21 upgrade about?  What does it add (and or fix)?

V2.2.1 of Interactive Unix is now available as a 3 diskette
update for current users, or as a complete release for new customers.
The update includes Posix fixes, fixes install problems
with certain hard disk controllers (Seagate and Rodime IDEs, Adaptec
1640, WD1007V), and includes fixes for other install related issues.
The update is available through your distributor or Interactive for current
users who have problems in these areas.

New purchasers of Interactive Unix will receive a complete release
of V2.2.1 including the additional feature of disk compression on
all subset diskettes. Files are in compressed format, and are
decompressed during installation. This feature cuts install time
and number of disks requiring installation considerably.