[comp.unix.sysv386] name resolve

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) (12/27/90)

Help...

	How do I turn off the name resolver of ISC 3.2?
Having recently installed ISC on a AMI Mark III 386. Most of the
system came up ok, but when I tried to bring up the tcp/ip software
I had some problems. I dont have a Enet card yet, but wanted to
play around with the loopback interface.

	I am able to telnet ip address, but cant telnet name.
It appears that the nameserver/resolver is still running, How do
I turn it off? I have set resolv.conf to have nonameserver set.
what other magic file/program is needed.

Many thanks...

--
Gary W. Sanders (gws@n8emr or ...!osu-cis!n8emr!gws), 72277,1325
N8EMR @ W8CQK (ip addr) 44.70.0.1 [Ohio AMPR address coordinator]

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (12/28/90)

In article <1956@n8emr.UUCP> gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) writes:

>Help...

>	How do I turn off the name resolver of ISC 3.2?
>.... I dont have a Enet card yet, but wanted to
>play around with the loopback interface.

>	I am able to telnet ip address, but cant telnet name.
>It appears that the nameserver/resolver is still running, How do
>I turn it off? I have set resolv.conf to have nonameserver set.
>what other magic file/program is needed.

I can't speak for Interactive specifically, but in general the simplest
way to disable the use of nameservice is simply move /etc/resolv.conf
to, say, /etc/resolv.bak or some such thing. With that done gethostbyname()
should fall back to parsing the /etc/hosts file.

How do you expect to telnet to anything with only the loopback available :-}.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -