[comp.unix.sysv386] Printing problem with PC-INTERFACE

dnb@rubys.UUCP (Dave Buonomo) (12/22/90)

I've been following some of the discussion in the last few weeks in reference
to PC-INTERFACE and generally agree that it is a solid product.  I do have
one problem that I have been unable to resolve.  This problem could be with
PC-INTERFACE, UNIX server configuration, or the printer.  I thought I would
start here since the UNIX box is a i386.

The system I am working with has 3 PC/XT's, each running the PC-INTERFACE
DOS Bridge module, connected (via Ethernet) to a 386 running ISC UNIX 3.2.2
and the PC-INTERFACE server module.  Connected to the server are 2 printers:
a HP LaserJet series II (not a IIP), and a C.ITOH C315 dot matrix.

My problem is this: when I try to print some documents, created with Word
Perfect v4.2, on the HP LaserJet, it will print with some lines pulled to
the left of the margin.  Attempting to print this same document on the C.ITOH
dot matrix or the same HP LaserJet directly connected to the PC/XT, results
in the documenting printing perfectly!

Here's more detail on the configuration: Word Perfect is set with its default
margins (10 and 74) and default tab stops (5).  The printers were configured
on the UNIX box using sysadm with the lpmgmt option.  No other configuration
options were changed in relation to the printers.

At first I "was sure" this was a tab setting problem; UNIX systems are
usually set at 8.  I changed the Word Perfect tab stops to 8 with no luck.
But, some of the lines that printed incorrectly had no special characters on
the line except for a CR (carriage return).  In a simple form letter, this
line pulled to the left of the margin:

Cordially,

Why?  It seems to me the server software is doing something the the document,
but what?  Does the lp service need to be specially configured for the HP
printer?  Keep in mind that the same documents print fine when the printer
is directly connected to the PC/XT.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Also,
if anyone wants details on my experiences with PC-INTERFACE, feel free to
contact me via e-mail.

David Buonomo
(301) 916-0807

weave@chopin.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (12/23/90)

In article <165@rubys.UUCP> dnb@rubys.UUCP (Dave Buonomo) writes:
>I've been following some of the discussion in the last few weeks in reference
>to PC-INTERFACE and generally agree that it is a solid product.  I do have
>one problem that I have been unable to resolve.  This problem could be with
>PC-INTERFACE, UNIX server configuration, or the printer.

A lot of ifs here! Let's narrow it done a bit (in a bit...)

>My problem is this: when I try to print some documents, created with Word
>Perfect v4.2, on the HP LaserJet, it will print with some lines pulled to
>the left of the margin.  Attempting to print this same document on the C.ITOH
>dot matrix or the same HP LaserJet directly connected to the PC/XT, results
>in the documenting printing perfectly!

OK, first step is to rule out the server (which I doubt it is). Disable your
lp printer interface and then print your Word Perfect doc. Log in as root
and locate the waiting request in the /usr/spool/lp/request directory. Copy
this file to your own user account.

Next, log in using DOS and print this document to your directly connected
printer. If it comes out OK, then the problem is NOT with PC-Interface.

>Does the lp service need to be specially configured for the HP
>printer?

It may. I suspect the problem is with software flow control. Word Perfect
is sending a lot of binary data to the printer, some of it will be ^S and
^Q characters, which will be interpreted as flow control commands and not
sent to the laser.

You need to disable software flow control and enable hardware flow control.
Here's the catch. I think the HP lasers use DTR for flow control. You'll
have to custom rig a cable to get it to work.
--

jta@nic.funet.fi (Juha Takala) (12/28/90)

   From: dnb@rubys.UUCP (Dave Buonomo)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
   Date: 22 Dec 90 04:56:09 GMT

   My problem is this: when I try to print some documents, created with Word
   Perfect v4.2, on the HP LaserJet, it will print with some lines pulled to
   the left of the margin.  Attempting to print this same document on the C.ITOH
   dot matrix or the same HP LaserJet directly connected to the PC/XT, results
   in the documenting printing perfectly!

This souds familiar.  We had same problems.  My laserjet is (normally)
configured to map LF --> CR+LF (esc & k 2 G).  This makes UNIX text
files print correctly, and makes no harm to normal DOS text files.  This
is done at the beginning of every print job in the interface script.  WP
does not change the setting.  But with WP: when some line is indeted
*after a short line*, WP emits one LF, and some BS's, to step to the
correct position.  Then it starts printing text.  Now it happens, that
the LF brings the printing position to the beg of line, you know the
rest...

To fix the problem, we added into WP's print job setup an ESC sequence
to MAP LF --> LF, CR --> CR  (esc & k 0 G).  Try this.

To find out what actually goes to lp, you can change the printer
-command (normally in the PC's AUTOEXEC.BAT) to something like:
	printer lpt1 host "cat > /tmp/foo" /t15
Then you can study /tmp/foo on the server.

	-juha

--
Juha Takala  (jta@sah.vtt.fi)  tel.: +358-0-456 6415   fax: +358-0-435 67014
Technical Research Centre, Laboratory of Electrical and Automation Engineering