[comp.unix.sysv386] using just shy of 16 megs with ISC 2.21

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/31/90)

Will Interactive Unix fully use all memory available?

Right now, I have 12 megs in this machine, and the system
can be upgraded to 16 megs - except that my multiport boards
are in the 15 megabyte range.  Is there anyway for Interactive
Unix to use all 15 megs of memory (for some reason, I am under
the impression that 386/ix will use memory in 4 meg chunks
only - ie: 4,8,12,16 megs - but not 15 megs)...

 {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!ndcheg!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Dec31.002301.17777@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Right now, I have 12 megs in this machine, and the system
>can be upgraded to 16 megs - except that my multiport boards
>are in the 15 megabyte range.  Is there anyway for Interactive
>Unix to use all 15 megs of memory (for some reason, I am under
>the impression that 386/ix will use memory in 4 meg chunks
>only - ie: 4,8,12,16 megs - but not 15 megs)...

I don't think it is a UNIX limitation, but a motherboard limitation (especially
if your memory is interleaved).  UNIX will use whatever your motherboard
lets it (in other words: you will probably have a problem because the MB
won't let you have something else located in the memory range for one of its
banks of memory - although it might not complain at first (just crash later))

                                                Sterling, VA 22170