[comp.unix.sysv386] Need Recommendation: noninterlace video board

rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) (12/29/90)

I'm running ISC 2.2 and want to upgrade to 1024x768 noninterlace video.
I will be running X11 version 1.2/Motif/Looking Glass.

Can anyone recommend a specific board capable of the above and at least
256 colors, supported by the X server?
Does anyone have experience with a particular noninterlace monitor in
the 1000$ range (Seiko CM1450 maybe)?

...thanks.

Rob Lingelbach rob@xyzoom.info.com -or- {well-connected}!uunet!xyzoom!rob
KB6CUN   Compuserve: 71101,176
2641 Rinconia Dr L.A. CA 90068   voice: 213 464-6266

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/29/90)

rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:

>Does anyone have experience with a particular noninterlace monitor in
>the 1000$ range (Seiko CM1450 maybe)?

I have always been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on
the GoldStar 16" color monitor - so far the best price I have
seen is $670 --

hmm..  I wonder how it looks with X?

Also, I noticed in comp.sys.sun where some of the folks were
getting Sun 19" monochrome monitors for $600 and running them
on their macs - I wonder if they could be used with one of the
ultra VGA boards?
  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

grant@bluemoon.UUCP (Grant DeLorean) (12/30/90)

rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:

>I'm running ISC 2.2 and want to upgrade to 1024x768 noninterlace video.
>I will be running X11 version 1.2/Motif/Looking Glass.

 How much do you want to spend and how important is speed to you? You can
buy a Tseng ET4000 (STB sells it as their VGA EM/Extra +), but this is
not an intelligent card so it won't be very fast. It is acceptable, as
long as the system isn't loaded though. If you want to spend more, there
is an assortment of TIGA based boards, such as the NEC Graphics Engine
and the Hurcules Graphics Station boards that have ISC drivers available
(though not from ISC).

>Does anyone have experience with a particular noninterlace monitor in
>the 1000$ range (Seiko CM1450 maybe)?

 For use with X in 1024x768 mode you will want more than a 14 inch monitor.
A 16 inch is minimal, and larger is desirable. This will probably run your
cost up over the $1000 you mentioned, but if you value your eyesight
it is worth it.
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon) {osu-cis!n8emr!, nstar!}bluemoon!grant
/* So just remember, if a weirdo in a blue suit comes up and offers you

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec28.223119.28402@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>I have always been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on
>the GoldStar 16" color monitor - so far the best price I have
>seen is $670 --

That sounds like a great price compared to the NEC Multisync 4D.  Is
it a 1124*768 monitor?  How is the quality of the Goldstar unit?

>Also, I noticed in comp.sys.sun where some of the folks were
>getting Sun 19" monochrome monitors for $600 and running them
>on their macs - I wonder if they could be used with one of the
>ultra VGA boards?

I really doubt that this would work "as-is", although maybe someone has
an adapter to simulate the frame buffer in a Sun, for use in a 386 machine.
I wonder if the frame buffer from the Sun/386i could be made to work
in a "pc"?

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec29.215910.15344@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
In article <1990Dec28.223119.28402@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

> >the GoldStar 16" color monitor - so far the best price I have
> >seen is $670 --

> That sounds like a great price compared to the NEC Multisync 4D.  Is
> it a 1124*768 monitor?  How is the quality of the Goldstar unit?

It's interlaced...hissssssss

I have seen 4Ds in the $950 range recently -- I paid $1100
for mine.

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (12/31/90)

<
<>Does anyone have experience with a particular noninterlace monitor in
<>the 1000$ range (Seiko CM1450 maybe)?
<
< For use with X in 1024x768 mode you will want more than a 14 inch monitor.
<A 16 inch is minimal, and larger is desirable. This will probably run your
<cost up over the $1000 you mentioned, but if you value your eyesight
<it is worth it.

Access Computer Technologies is advertising the Nanao 9070U 16"
(non-interlaced, low radiation) for $999 in Computer Shopper now.
It's been my experience tho, that places like this boost the price
when you call.  We'll see..

-scott

In article <1990Dec30.044046.4617@rfengr.com> rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:

| > That sounds like a great price compared to the NEC Multisync 4D.  Is
| > it a 1124*768 monitor?  How is the quality of the Goldstar unit?
|
| It's interlaced...hissssssss
|
| I have seen 4Ds in the $950 range recently -- I paid $1100
| for mine.

  The Diamondscan which sells for about $1k is rated at 1280x1024 rather
than 1024x768. A friend is running them in 1152x900 mode (on Suns) he
tells me.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (01/01/91)

In this vein, does anyone know of a vendor with an X11 server for the
Hercules Graphics Station card?  I'm trying to assemble my personal Unix
workstation, and have identified the hardware I want (33MHz 386, NEC 4D
monitor, HGSC, Adaptec SCSI, etc) and I need to assemble the software as
well.  Thanks.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

grant@bluemoon.UUCP (Grant DeLorean) (01/02/91)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>In this vein, does anyone know of a vendor with an X11 server for the
>Hercules Graphics Station card?  I'm trying to assemble my personal Unix
>workstation, and have identified the hardware I want (33MHz 386, NEC 4D
>monitor, HGSC, Adaptec SCSI, etc) and I need to assemble the software as
>well.  Thanks.

 Well, for ISC and SCO you can go to AGE and they will sell you a
server for the Graphics Station card ($595), or you can wait a little
while and see the MetroLink (a replacement X11, r4 rather than r3, for
ISC, ESIX and SCO) one. The MetroLink product is $295 for the X11r4
and another $295 for the dev kit. The HGS driver should be done by
the end of January 1991, maybe sooner. (as you may have guessed, I
am betting on that Hurcules card to be a hot card for the near
future too :-}).
--

tai@turbo.ism.isc.com (tai) (01/04/91)

In article <1102@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <25@bluemoon.UUCP> grant@bluemoon.UUCP (Grant DeLorean) writes:
><rob@xyzoom.info.com (Rob Lingelbach) writes:
><
><>Does anyone have experience with a particular noninterlace monitor in
><>the 1000$ range (Seiko CM1450 maybe)?
><
>< For use with X in 1024x768 mode you will want more than a 14 inch monitor.
><A 16 inch is minimal, and larger is desirable. This will probably run your
><cost up over the $1000 you mentioned, but if you value your eyesight
><it is worth it.
>
>Access Computer Technologies is advertising the Nanao 9070U 16"
>(non-interlaced, low radiation) for $999 in Computer Shopper now.
>It's been my experience tho, that places like this boost the price
>when you call.  We'll see..
>
>-scott

 DMC Computer in Longbeach Ca. is selling Nanao 9070U for $960.
 It's a great monitor. It has white, amber or color for text mode.
 We have used alot of this monitor here at ISC with STB PowerGraphic
 VGA board. Also, it works great with our X11 ver 1.2 plus we support
 256 colors in 1024x768 non-interlaced mode. Try it I think it's the
 best deal in town...

 -Tai Tran