[comp.unix.sysv386] unix on a portable

aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) (01/04/91)

hi

has anyone tried to run unix with an X server on a portable? I am thinking
about trying this on a toshiba with SCO ODT UNIX?

thanks andy

                  "bede-bede-bede Thats all Folks"
				Porky Pig
Andy Davidson
Woodside CA.
aed@netcom

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/04/91)

aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) writes:

>has anyone tried to run unix with an X server on a portable? I am thinking
>about trying this on a toshiba with SCO ODT UNIX?

	At least a year ago I saw Interactive UNIX and X-Windows running on a
Toshiba 5200. I presume SCO's ODT would run as well.

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) (01/04/91)

Depending on how you desire functionality, yes,
it's indeed possible. If the portable is attached
to an Ethernet, then you could use Hummingbird
or Graphic Software Solutions' X applications.

If the portable has enough memory(more than 8Mb),
and a decent Sys V.4(like Dell V.4), then SLIP
is already built in.

Disk space is the real issue with *ANY* portable...

steve

lent@netcom.UUCP (Robert Lent) (01/05/91)

I run SCO's Open Desktop on an 8M Toshiba 5200/100.  It's a very nice machine
and ODT is well-behaved.  I do all my work under X using the Motif window
manager.  I have a subset of the ODT Developer's package installed.
The 100 M hard disk constrains me a bit, but with a judicious selection of
features installed, I have about 30M for my files and sandbox.

For further information, please send E-mail.

Bob Lent
uunet!lent52!lent