[comp.unix.sysv386] UUCP connection for Esix

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (01/05/91)

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a uucp connection for Esix Rev. D. I have a site
that let's me feed and I followed the uucp installation instructions.
However when I use Uutry to check the connection it fails at the login.
Now this could likely be a problem with the feed site, but in general
does anyone have any friendly advice as to what one should watch for
when using Esix's UUCP?

Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. Would anyone mind
sharing their Dialers, Devices, Systems setup for a typical dial-up UUCP
feeder?

Also, I understand that Esix has problems running at 9600 baud and that
FAS will solve it. My questions is: Where can I get FAS from Esix Rev. D
from (ftp would be great).

Thanks,

	...Martin

Martin Schedlbauer				(mschedlb@ulowell.edu)
Institute for Visualization and Perception Research
Department of Computer Science
University of Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854		(Tel: (508) 934-3612)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/05/91)

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:

>Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. Would anyone mind
>sharing their Dialers, Devices, Systems setup for a typical dial-up UUCP
>feeder?

ok - here part of my dialers:

dialV96 =,-, "" A\pA\pA\pT OK ATE0X1\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\c 2400 \r\m\c\d

HSTslow =,-, "" ATE0Q0V1X1\r\c OK\r ATDP\T\r\c 2400 \r\m\c\d

HSTfast =,-, "" ATE0Q0V1X1\r\c OK\r ATDP\T\r\c 9600 \r\m\c\d

PEPslow =W-, "" A\pA\pA\pA\pA\pT OK ATs58=0s0=0sDP\T NNECT\s2400 \d

PEPfast =W-, "" A\pA\pA\pA\pA\pT\pZ OK ATS50=255DP\T FAST-\c-FAST \d

now devices:

Direct tty00 - 2400 dialV96
HAYES ttyi00 - 2400 dialV96
HST1 ttyi01 - 19200 HSTfast
HST1 ttyi01 - C19200 HSTslow
PEP1 ttyi02 - 19200 PEPfast
PEP1 ttyi02 - C19200 PEPslow
PEP2 ttyi03 - 19200 PEPfast
PEP2 ttyi03 - C19200 PEPslow

FAS is available here on nstar -

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (01/06/91)

>mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
>
>>Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated. Would anyone mind
>>sharing their Dialers, Devices, Systems setup for a typical dial-up UUCP
>>feeder?

Many thanks to all who replied. Here's my story. I was able to set up
UUCP to Wang in Lowell, MA (thanks to Tom). The reason why my modem (a
hayes Smartmodem 9600 V.42) would not receive anything was that it
thought it connected with MNP-5 while the other modem was plain V.22
2400 baud. Including the &Q0 Hayes command to force async communication
solved the problem.

It also seems to be the case that Esix has no real need for FAS as long
as I have 16550 UARTS (not WD kind :). Since I'm communicating at 2400
baud only for now that's not a problem anymore.

	Thanks again,

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (01/06/91)

In article <1677@ulowell.ulowell.edu> mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to setup a uucp connection for Esix Rev. D. I have a site
>that let's me feed and I followed the uucp installation instructions.
>However when I use Uutry to check the connection it fails at the login.

If you supply more info, one of us should be able to help.
Details, please, details!

>Also, I understand that Esix has problems running at 9600 baud and that
>FAS will solve it. My questions is: Where can I get FAS from Esix Rev. D
>from (ftp would be great).

I don't know where you heard that Esix has problems running at 9600 baud.
There is some Esix-bashing going on and I think it is unjustified.  Anyway,
I don't think this shows that Esix is having trouble at 9600 baud:

Remote     K-Bytes   K-Bytes   K-Bytes  Hours  Hours AvCPS AvCPS    #    #
SiteName      Recv      Xmit     Total   Recv   Xmit  Recv  Xmit Recv Xmit
-------- --------- --------- --------- ------ ------ ----- ----- ---- ----
world     7954.888   170.018  8124.906   1.73   0.03  1278  1667  310  174

Do you?

I am running Esix Rev D on a 386/25, 300meg SCSI disk, 8mb ram,
Adaptec 1542b SCSI host adapter, Telebit Trailblazer (and HST, etc)
modems, a generic 2-port serial card, and an AST 4-port (dumb) card.
I don't have a 16550 installed (yet), and am using the stock Esix
asy driver.

The one thing I will say is that with a dumb serial card, there IS a
significant load placed on the system when doing high-speed transfers.

bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

dkessner@isis.cs.du.edu (David D. Kessner) (01/06/91)

>>Also, I understand that Esix has problems running at 9600 baud and that
>>FAS will solve it. My questions is: Where can I get FAS from Esix Rev. D
>>from (ftp would be great).

I also don't know where you get the 9600 baud limit...  I am running
ESIX Rev.D on a 386/25, with the slower 16440 UARTS.  One of the terminals
connected to it runs at 38400baud without a problem.  Clearly, this is faster
than 9600.  When using TELIX (on the 286 terminal) and sz on the UNIX end
I get transfer rates of 3600 cps.

What is this FAS thing anyway??

David Kessner
kessner!david@csn.org

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/06/91)

dkessner@isis.cs.du.edu (David D. Kessner) writes:

>What is this FAS thing anyway??

FAS is a replacement serial driver for 386 based Unix (3.2) that
works correctly.

--

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan06.025812.103@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>dkessner@isis.cs.du.edu (David D. Kessner) writes:
>
>>What is this FAS thing anyway??
>
>FAS is a replacement serial driver for 386 based Unix (3.2) that
>works correctly.

FAS isn't absolutely necessary for ESIX, since the ESIX driver works
fine at high speeds, handles the 16550, has hardware flow control,
and handles bidirectional modem access correctly.  But FAS has two
benefits over the ESIX driver: it uses less CPU time, and it supports
a non-blocking dial-out device with modem control.  The latter will
cause a dial-out program to get SIGHUP when carrier is lost.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)