[comp.unix.sysv386] Whats the difference between Adaptecs...

sanand@sp90.uucp (01/05/91)

> 	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
> 1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
> 386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
> Kevin W. Rudd
> Sequent Computer Systems

I am not sure of all the differences, but the major one is that "B" has
a floppydisk controller, "A" doesn't. I run the "B" with a Maxtor, so far
(touch wood) no problems.

Sanand.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/06/91)

sanand@sp90.uucp writes:

>> 	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
>> 1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
>> 386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
>> Kevin W. Rudd
>> Sequent Computer Systems
>>

>I am not sure of all the differences, but the major one is that "B" has
>a floppydisk controller, "A" doesn't. I run the "B" with a Maxtor, so far
>(touch wood) no problems.

Wrong - both the 1542A and the 1542B has a floppy controller - the
1540 family doesn't have the floppy controller build on the board.

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

fmiller@dobie.UUCP (Fred Miller) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan5.045321.1799@sp90.uucp>, sanand@sp90.uucp writes:
> > 	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
> > 1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
> > 386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the
> > bus.

The "A" & "B" designations are revisions...the latest being the "B" revision,
and soon a "C" version.  I don't know the specifics in the differences.  I
have the 1542B installed and have had NO problems!

							Fred

sralston@srwic.UUCP (Steve Ralston) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan5.045321.1799@sp90.uucp> sanand@sp90.uucp writes:
>>  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and 1542B
>>  SCSI controllers is?
>>  Kevin W. Rudd
>>  Sequent Computer Systems
>
> I am not sure of all the differences, but the major one is that "B" has
> a floppydisk controller, "A" doesn't. I run the "B" with a Maxtor, so far
> (touch wood) no problems.
> Sanand.

BzzzT, Wrong!  The Adaptec 1542B is a later rev of the 1542A; they both have
a floppy controller interface.  The 1542B is a smaller, 2/3 length board
(probably has more surface mount chips) than the 1542A full length board.
The 1540B (and 1540A) are SCSI *only* boards (no floppy controller) that
you're probably thinking of.

I believe the 154xA and 154xB are, otherwise, functionally equivalent.
Hopefully, if Roy Neese (neese@adaptex) is watching he will respond with
the technical low-down on any differences.
--
Steve Ralston						sralston@srwic.UUCP
235 N Zelta						voice: 316-686-2019

keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan5.045321.1799@sp90.uucp> sanand@sp90.uucp writes:
>> 	Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Adaptec's 1542A and
>> 1542B SCSI controllers is?  I am planning on using one of them in an ACMA
>> 386/20 system with a Maxtor SCSI drive.  I have heard of problems with the bus
>> Kevin W. Rudd
>> Sequent Computer Systems
>>

>I am not sure of all the differences, but the major one is that "B" has
>a floppydisk controller, "A" doesn't. I run the "B" with a Maxtor, so far
>(touch wood) no problems.
>
>Sanand.

This isn't quite correct.  The 1542B is a newer model of the 1542A and is
a two-thirds length card instead of the full-length used for the 1542A.
Both the 1542A and 1542B are intelligent controllers which support floppy
as well as SCSI drives.  The floppy portion can be disabled by a jumper,
if desired.

If I remember correctly, the 1540 series is the SCSI only controller (i.e.,
no floppy).  Whether there are A and B versions of it, I'm not certain,
but I think there are.

The 1542A and B are supposed to be functionally identical, I believe.
However, I have one machine running a 1542A in a 286 that works fine
with Fastback 2.01.  Just toying around with a 1542B in the same
configuration, I found that the system would hang during the DMA tests
that Fastback runs (specifically, the medium speed DMA check).  I
haven't had the time yet to really run this down.
Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Execucom Systems Corp., Austin, Texas     Internet: keith@execu.com
"It's 10 o'clock.  Do you know where      Disclaimer: Everything I say is
   your child processes are?"               true unless I use the word 'the'.

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (01/09/91)

The 1542B uses high-density custom ICs to reduce the number of parts
on the board (and I believe the board is smaller as well) as compared
to the 1542A.  They are functionally identical.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
I keep forgetting that rules are only for little nice people. -- Calvin