[comp.unix.sysv386] man pages

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (10/31/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

> Interactive has on-line manuals as well - but they use a non-standard format
> for them (at least none of the other software packages get their man pages
> installed correctly)...

Hey, it's not "non-standard" - it's just a different standard!  (that's as
in "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.":-)
Actually, there's a reason for the change, and it's not just Interactive's
doing.

>...I've had to manually pipe the man pages for cnews,
> smail3, nn, elm and other packages through nroff using "nroff -man < in > out".

The current (Sys Vish) distribution style for man pages has them pre-
formatted for a relatively generic device (fixed pitch, boldface by over-
striking, etc.) and packed (.z format).  While this may seem unfortunate
in that you can't reformat and print them on whatever random printer is
sitting in the hallway, it became necessary when DWB was unbundled: the
old manual-page format was n/troff input, hence you needed at least nroff
and the -man macros.

> Is that the same for SCO?

Yes.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...but Meatball doesn't work that way!

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (11/01/90)

From article <1990Oct30.202322.8350@ico.isc.com>, by rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>> Interactive has on-line manuals as well - but they use a non-standard format
>> for them (at least none of the other software packages get their man pages
>> installed correctly)...
>
> Hey, it's not "non-standard" - it's just a different standard!  (that's as
> in "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.":-)
> Actually, there's a reason for the change, and it's not just Interactive's
> doing.

   Ok, I'll bite. Whats the reason.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

news@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Oct30.202322.8350@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>The current (Sys Vish) distribution style for man pages has them pre-
>formatted for a relatively generic device (fixed pitch, boldface by over-
>striking, etc.) and packed (.z format).  While this may seem unfortunate
>in that you can't reformat and print them on whatever random printer is
>sitting in the hallway, it became necessary when DWB was unbundled: the
>old manual-page format was n/troff input, hence you needed at least nroff
>and the -man macros.

It would be nice if they could supply nroff with the standard system and
put the troff stuff in the DWB. Otherwise, they should ship the proper
manual sources with DWB. One of the strengths of early UNIX was that the
doco. could be maintained. We have lost this, but there seems to be no
reason why we couldn't have it back. These days, nroff isn't much use for
anything other than the online manual (and perhaps as a cheap demo. for
DWB). Put nroff in the base system and sell more DWB!

	 	b++

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (01/11/91)

In article <52585@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>It is the case that AT&T strongly discourages this for some reason.

Why does AT&T discourage it?

>It's very expensive for a vendor to offer the man pages on line, but
>it's also pretty popular with end users.

Why is it so expensive?  Presumably, all the documentation is already
online somewhere so that it can be easily updated.  Nobody uses
typewriters anymore.  Everything is word processed.

>This is probably a good catagory for the monthly product comparison
>chart, if it's not already there.

True.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan10.212820.19557@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:
> Why [are AT&T on line manuals] so expensive?  Presumably, all the
>	documentation is already
> online somewhere so that it can be easily updated.  Nobody uses
> typewriters anymore.  Everything is word processed.

The same arguement applies to (other) software.  Few of us still use card
punches or rotory reperforators, but we want more than media cost for our
programing efforts.  (Weren't roff or nroff used for the first UNIX
technical reports?)

Maybe the AT&T lisense fees for manuals are high for the same reason the
AT&T lisense fees for System V are non-trivial.  (Last I heard their
starting negoiating point for SVR4 was a significant percentage of the list
cost of the hardware.)  Maybe AT&T is trying to find a way to make money on
computers, or to at least meet a rather awesome payroll.  There's been a
bit of that going around since the first commercial machines.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@calcite.uucp

steve@trashy.UUCP (Steve Talmage) (01/13/91)

Posted for a friend with no news feed...

James Van Artsdalen (james@bigtex.cactus.org) responded ...

>>> It's very expensive for a vendor to offer the man pages on line, but
>>> it's also pretty popular with end users.
>>  Why is it [MAN PAGES] so expensive?
> Licensing fees.  The up front fee is so large that most vendors
> probably have a tough time believing that they'll get enough extra
> sales to pay for it.

	some of the key information concerning the licensing fees for SVR4.

	    Schedule For The
	386(tm) Implementation of
	UNIX System V Release 4.0
	   (November 1, 1989)

	Page 2 of 12
	Paragraph 2
	Right to Use and Distribution Fees ...

	(a) Right-To-Use Fees

		  (i) Initial DESIGNATED CPU              US$100,000
		 (ii) Initial DESIGNATED CPU for
		      LICENSEEs who have licensed
		      another implementation of SVR4	  US$ 50,000
		(iii) Each add'l DESIGNATED CPU           US$  5,000
		 (iv) Upgrade from previous UNIX SVR?     US$  3,000
		  (v) Each NETWORK OF CPU's               US$ 50,000

	Page 3 of 12
	Paragraph 3
	Sublicensing Fees

	(a) Initial Sublicensing Fee                      US$ 25,000
	    (All UNIX SVR4 implementations)

	Page 9 of 12
	Paragraph 10 (Sub B)
	Materials Which May Be Included In A Sublicensed Product

	(b) One hard copy and a formatted on-line version of the non-
	proprietary documentation that describes only the software
	components in the SUBLICENSED PRODUCT may be reproduced
	and distributed with each SUBLICENSED PRODUCT.	Additional
	copies may be reproduced and distributed only upon execution
	of a Supplement for UNIX System V Release 4.0 Documentation
	Reproduction Provision and payment of the appropriate fees ...

	The DRP base fee for a licensee to produce and distribute
	documentation and man pages to its sublicensees is
	$ 13,000.

	In order for a vendor (licensee) to produce extra sets of
	documentation and man pages (other than the non-royalty fee set
	which may be shipped with each OS) the charges per set are:

		  20% of the list price of the documentation; or
		$ 81  for documentation (written) and/or
		$111  for man pages

	For further licensing information, contact the staff of
		AT&T
		UNIX Software Operations
		Greensboro, NC
		800-828-UNIX
		...uunet!gcss20!gccab
--
  |	  Ed Presnall			    |..| The best selling non |

--
Steve	| uucp: ...!uhnix1!lobster!trashy!steve | "Do or do not.  There is
Talmage | inet: steve%trashy@lobster.hou.tx.us	|  no 'try'."