[comp.unix.sysv386] Esix passwd expiration

protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) (01/11/91)

How do I disable password expiration for Esix?

Thanks.

--
Mike Protofanousis
msp@pronet.chi.il.us

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/14/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:
>>How do I disable password expiration for Esix?

>With ISC - that is set with the PASSREQ flag in /etc/default/login
>PASSREQ=NO

I don't believe that this is what mike p. wanted.  According to the manual
[login(1)], "When PASSREQ is set to YES, [] users will be required to have a
password."

The way i do this is to use, as root, the command "passwd -x -1 name", where
"name" is the user's login name.  See TFM entry: passwd(1)
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (01/14/91)

In <1991Jan11.165609.8026@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:

>>How do I disable password expiration for Esix?

>With ISC - that is set with the PASSREQ flag in /etc/default/login

>TIMEZONE=EST5EDT
>HZ=100
>CONSOLE=/dev/console
>PASSREQ=NO
Not true - this allows a user to login with no password assigned. If set to yes
they will be prompted for a new password. To disable ageing on a given account,
use
$ passwd -x -1 account
(at least that's what the manual says if you believe it.)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/15/91)

In article <4585@cocoa7.UUCP>, protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:
> How do I disable password expiration for Esix?

Look in /etc/shadow.  The last two fields are minimum and maximum
time between password changes.  The defaults are 14 and 28.
You can edit this and make the desired changes.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

ade@clark.edu (Adrian Miranda) (01/16/91)

In article <tim.663855115@holly> tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) writes:
>In <1991Jan11.165609.8026@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>>protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:
>
>>>How do I disable password expiration for Esix?
>they will be prompted for a new password. To disable ageing on a given account,
>use
>$ passwd -x -1 account
>(at least that's what the manual says if you believe it.)

To disable ageing on all accounts (under esix anyway), you can put

MAXWEEKS=-1

in the file "/etc/default/passwd".  (Actually, old accounts will still
have ageing on til the passwd is changed again, or until ageing is turned
off on those accounts specifically.)

Adrian Miranda
uunet!clark!ade  or  ade@clark.edu