[comp.unix.sysv386] g++ and esix

mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (01/15/91)

In article <1991Jan14.052050.4901@zap.uucp>, fortin@zap.uucp (Denis Fortin) writes:
> In article <6888@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
>>>Just as a matter of record, FTP sites are just about *non-existent* in Canada
>>
>>Then use the BITFTP server bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu.  It'll get it for you,
>>uuencode it and break it up into mail managable sized uuencoded chunks.
>
> But keep in mind that doing humongus "bitftp" transfers when you are a
> uucp site without a direct link to uunet might be seriously
> anti-social!

I would sincerely love to use a service like bitftp, but one of the college's
upstream sites (namely the University of Calgary) selectively filters out
mail to and from bitftp.  Nasty bit of censorship I think.  They do it to keep
their net-traffic load down.  (Which in my mind doesn't justify such
censorship; they could just as easily ask people to voluntarily refrain from
using it.  Most people would comply.)

But getting back on topic -- has any one with Esix Rev. D *successfully*
compiled g++?  BTW: success does not mean a clean compile.  I can get those.
But the compiler will not compile libg++.  Which, of course, is a pre-req for
compiling groff (I am trying to compile g++ 1.37.2 and groff 0.6).

Mike Hoffos
--
mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca
(Mount Royal College is a community college in Calgary, Alberta)

Disclaimer:     Mount Royal College doesn't speak for me, and I *certainly*
                don't speak for it.

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan14.105516.4725@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca> mhoffos@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca writes:
> In article <1991Jan14.052050.4901@zap.uucp>, fortin@zap.uucp (Denis Fortin) writes:
> >>
> >>Then use the BITFTP server bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu.  It'll get it for you,
> >>uuencode it and break it up into mail managable sized uuencoded chunks.
> >
> > But keep in mind that doing humongus "bitftp" transfers when you are a
> > uucp site without a direct link to uunet might be seriously
> > anti-social!
>
> I would sincerely love to use a service like bitftp, but one of the college's
> upstream sites (namely the University of Calgary) selectively filters out
> mail to and from bitftp.  Nasty bit of censorship I think.  They do it to keep
> their net-traffic load down.  (Which in my mind doesn't justify such
> censorship; they could just as easily ask people to voluntarily refrain from
> using it.  Most people would comply.)

Excuse me?  It has been proven over, and over, and over again that
people will abuse such services, esp. when they think it is only for
them, and only this one time, and it's not really all that big, etc....

If you have a useful resource or device, that costs you money, such as
a car, do you leave it in the driveway with the keys and a sign
saying: "Please take my car if you are only driving down the street,
but since it costs me money, don't go any further, and don't use it
more than once a week."?  I wouldn't.  I'd lock it up in the garage!

With bitftp we're talking about using a resource that can't handle all
the traffic the paying customers want to send over it!  Denis is
right.  It's seriously anti-social to make others pay for your traffic.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada