[comp.unix.sysv386] '386 Unix Wars

carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) (12/18/90)

I'm trying to build an Intel 80386-based Unix machine for programming, and
am having a difficult time determining which of the various i386 Unix
vendors to support with my purchase.

As anyone shopping around for Unix system software soon discovers, there
is a war on.  At least two or three manufacturers are actively competing
for the desktop Unix market.  It appears that the Santa Cruz Operation
(SCO) has grabbed the largest piece of the market so far, but is facing
intensive competition from Interactive Systems Corporation.  AT&T and
Intel also market Unix software for the i386, but seem to be less
aggressive in pushing their product lines.

There is also a product named "Xenix."  Xenix was originally Microsoft's
tradename for its Unix clone.  The name has now been licensed to SCO and
probably other firms.  From what I understand, Xenix is a less
sophisticated, but also less expensive alternative to desktop Unix.  Xenix
lacks some of the capabilities of Unix, but requires only about 1/2 the
memory and disk storage Unix needs.  According to a salesperson at SCO,
though, Xenix is "on the way out" as a system standard.

I have generally found plenty of sales and support people who are happy to
"inform" me of the relative merits of their software over that of other
firms, but I haven't seen any discussion of this on Usenet.  I'd like to
know your views on:

1) Relative merits of Xenix vs. Unix.

2) Experiences of end users with SCO, Interactive, and other firms.

The i386 Unix market is evolving quite rapidly. I feel we should discuss
this topic far more actively while we still have a chance to determine the
direction desktop Unix will take.  If we allow market forces alone to
decide which standards succeed, we may be disappointed in the long run.

-Carson Wilson	[carson@point.UUCP]

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/18/90)

Warning -- this took its own reins and turned into a flame.

In article <276d312d-8aecomp.unix.i386@point.UUCP> carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) writes:
>I'm trying to build an Intel 80386-based Unix machine for programming, and
>am having a difficult time determining which of the various i386 Unix
>vendors to support with my purchase.

Try defining what you want to DO with your system, then checking to see
who offers what you need to do it.  Individual value added UNIX vendors
do differ in terms of which options they support, which they bundle and
so forth.  Right now it's not hard to make an informed choice if you
read the literature.

>As anyone shopping around for Unix system software soon discovers, there
>is a war on.

Oh please.  Until they start issuing gas masks at COMDEX, the only thing
a 'war' means to the average UNIX consumer is that pricing is more
attractive.  That's good news, but functionality is still more important.

>              At least two or three manufacturers are actively competing
>for the desktop Unix market.

More like six or seven.  Crack a magazine!

>                              It appears that the Santa Cruz Operation
>(SCO) has grabbed the largest piece of the market so far, but is facing
>intensive competition from Interactive Systems Corporation.  AT&T and
>Intel also market Unix software for the i386, but seem to be less
>aggressive in pushing their product lines.

This is like a Computer Newsflash for October 1988.  Dell and Everex are
going crazy.  Intel bought Bell Tech and is putting full page spreads in
the trade mags.  AT&T has always sold hardware to institutional accounts
and supplied standard software to run on it.

>There is also a product named "Xenix."  Xenix was originally Microsoft's
>tradename for its Unix clone.  The name has now been licensed to SCO and
>probably other firms.  From what I understand, Xenix is a less
>sophisticated, but also less expensive alternative to desktop Unix.  Xenix
>lacks some of the capabilities of Unix, but requires only about 1/2 the
>memory and disk storage Unix needs.  According to a salesperson at SCO,
>though, Xenix is "on the way out" as a system standard.

Did I say 1988?  I may have been too generous.

>I have generally found plenty of sales and support people who are happy to
>"inform" me of the relative merits of their software over that of other
>firms, but I haven't seen any discussion of this on Usenet.

In what, the past three days?  All we do is beat this subject to death
with a posthold digger six times a month until Hell freezes over!

>                                                             I'd like to
>know your views on:
>
>1) Relative merits of Xenix vs. Unix.
>
>2) Experiences of end users with SCO, Interactive, and other firms.

Is that all.  See below.

>The i386 Unix market is evolving quite rapidly.

Did it say that in the WEEKLY READER UNIX Supplement, or what?

>                                                  I feel we should discuss
>this topic far more actively while we still have a chance to determine the
>direction desktop Unix will take.  If we allow market forces alone to
>decide which standards succeed, we may be disappointed in the long run.

Excuse me a moment.

<SCREEEEEAAAAMMMMSSS into paper bag>

>Ahem< OK, all better.

My gentle suggestion is that it might be better to get some kind of a
****ing clue where UNIX 386 is at today (1990 for readers with
calendars) before worrying overmuch about thumping the nasty ole market
forces and determining "direction."

In the meantime, shut up and buy something.  You want the best deal in
town?  Buy one of the SVR4 developer upgrades.  For $400 to $800 you get
a full developer kit including NFS, RFS, ANSI C, debuggers, Open Look,
TCP/IP etc., plus a little buglist a blind man could work around.  Some
of them claim to want your 3.2 boot disk in exchange.  If nobody you
know has a backed-up original they'll part with, just send the money
and see if you don't get the software.  These people aren't in business
to refuse your money.

Apologies to the readership for the flame portions above -- something
rang my fatuity meter.

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/19/90)

I used Microport System V/AT for a year or so, and from a hacker's
point of view, it was a great inexpensive system.  Currently I'm
running ESIX Revision D and again, from a hacker's point of view it's a
great relatively inexpensive system.

For business purposes, however, based on the experience with these two
systems, I don't recommend getting UNIX from either Microport or Everex
(ESIX).  Microport had fair documentation but terrible quality
control.  Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
miserable quality).

For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
used SCO Xenix, I did use Microsoft's Xenix on a number of different
machines in the past, and it was more stable than System V/AT or ESIX.
I also uses AT&T's System V (a. UNIX PC, sort of System V Release 2
with Release 1 utilities; b. System V Release 3 on an AT&T 3B2).
Although it was stable and relatively free of bugs, the quality of
documentation was standard AT&T, which means no indexes, poor
organization, and nonexistent information about system administration
procedures.  The Xenix documentation was little better.

For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).  Right now I use
SunOS at work and find it to be relatively stable and moderately well
documented.  AT&T's SVR3 seemed to be to a little better debugged than
SunOS, but it also did far less and the documentation was pretty bad.
Unfortunately nobody sells BSD for 386-based machines.  Sun used to
sell SunOS for its own proprietary 386-based machine, but phased it
out.  Maybe you could get a used machine with the software.

Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by
then it may be the best choice available.  It has about 80% of the good
features of BSD plus most of System V Release 3.

So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes
cheaper).
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

In 2812@cirrusl.UUCP I wrote:

>The Xenix documentation was little better.

I meant to say:

     The Xenix documentation was a little better.

English is a strange language.
--

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (12/19/90)

In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
>used SCO Xenix, I did use Microsoft's Xenix on a number of different
>machines in the past, and it was more stable than System V/AT or ESIX.

I've used SCO Xenix on this machine (a 386) for 3 1/2 years, and it works
very well.  The original purpose for this system was to develop business
software for clients who would eventually be running SCO Xenix.

For clients with no on-site technical experience, SCO Xenix is probably
your best bet.  It's sad that SCO UNIX is in such a sorry state.  There
are no "industrial strength" UNIX ports out there, and I was hoping at
least SCO would have something with all the newer features.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"While you are here, your wives and girlfriends are dating handsome American
 movie and TV stars. Stars like Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, and Bart Simpson."

In article <18842@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

| I've used SCO Xenix on this machine (a 386) for 3 1/2 years, and it works
| very well.  The original purpose for this system was to develop business
| software for clients who would eventually be running SCO Xenix.
|
| For clients with no on-site technical experience, SCO Xenix is probably
| your best bet.  It's sad that SCO UNIX is in such a sorry state.  There
| are no "industrial strength" UNIX ports out there, and I was hoping at
| least SCO would have something with all the newer features.

  I hate to agree that this is the state, but having tried a number of
the 3.2 flavors, I'm convinced that if you don't need some feature which
is in 3.2 which is not in Xenix, and NFS is the only one which comes to
mind, your reliability will be better with Xenix than and 3.2 I've
tried.

  I will also note that as a group the V.4 ports seem far less prone to
actual crashes (kernel panic) than any 3.2 port. They are all very rough
in lots of ways, but that's not one of them.

  This is my view of where 386 desktop unix is going, the new versions
are cheap and solid, and the low cost of memory takes the curse off the
larger size of the kernel.

  New products and market directions may cause this prediction to be
wrong, but at the moment that's the way it looks to me, from a
prospective going back to V7.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/20/90)

In article <350@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>I am *scared* of SVR4!!  When/if my clients have to upgrade, they will have
>to add at least 4 Mb of memory and probably suffer a performance degradation
>as well.  (Someone please tell me this isn't really true!)  And it won't
>markedly improve the functioning of their existing software, either.

I'll tell you it's not true if you'll tell us why you thought it WAS true.

For equivalent functionality -- note that phrase please -- SVR4 looks
about 20% bigger than the comparable SVR3v2.2 system.  But remember that
SVR4 adds a lot of functionality!  Yes, if you blindly take the install
tape and say 'give me everything', you're looking at a lot more disk and
memory consumption.  But that's up to you.  Not everyone needs three
networks, all of Open Look, six different file systems and so forth.

Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
addressed in a future rev.

--
"Just when we finally got good at this, we    \_i_/   Tom Neff
run out of planets." - a Voyager scientist   --[o]--  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/20/90)

In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
> things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
> for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
> bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
> miserable quality).

Nonsense.  AT&T's manual set for System V/386 r3.2 (published by Prentice
Hall) work fine for ESIX.  You can order them from you local bookstore.

I *like* working it this way; my clients don't have to shell out extra
bucks for manuals they won't even open, and if they or I want to obtain extra
copies of the manuals, we can get them with no hassles, and in any quantity
we want.  I am running ISC, and one of my clients is running ESIX.  They
have more documentation than they want to see, and I have all the documentation
I want/need.

Whereas ISC and SCO have "enhanced" (read: added bugs to :-) AT&T UNIX,
ESIX has left AT&T's code relatively alone (read: left the bugs in :-).

Judging from postings in this newsgroup, ESIX has fewer bugs or other
problems than ISC 2.2 or SCO UNIX.  In working with ESIX, so far I haven't
run into any problems that I couldn't work around or solve either on my
own or with the help of ESIX tech support.  They are responsive *and*
helpful both over the phone and by email.

> For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
> try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).

> Right now I use
> SunOS at work and find it to be relatively stable and moderately well
> documented.

My ESIX client is an office automation environment.  They don't need a
GUI or networking.  Their 386 ESIX system supports 7 users and cost them
about $5000 TOTAL, including application software.  For their needs, any
machine running a BSD-derivative (i.e., Sun, Silicon Graphics) would be a
waste of money.

> So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
> 386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes
> cheaper).

I am *scared* of SVR4!!  When/if my clients have to upgrade, they will have
to add at least 4 Mb of memory and probably suffer a performance degradation
as well.  (Someone please tell me this isn't really true!)  And it won't
markedly improve the functioning of their existing software, either.

I think you've just been spoiled by using SunOS :-)

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/21/90)

In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
> things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
> for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
> bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
> miserable quality).

I can't speak directly for the ESIX implementation, but from most
accounts I've heard, it is very solid, and quite efficient!

As for ESIX documentation, they did the right thing.  Let the
publishers publish and the programmers programme.  Standard
SysVr3.2/386 doc's from Prentice Hall are all you need for ESIX beyond
the rather wonderful release notes, etc. I've seen from Everex.

> For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
> used SCO Xenix, I did use Microsoft's Xenix on a number of different
> machines in the past, and it was more stable than System V/AT or ESIX.
> I also uses AT&T's System V (a. UNIX PC, sort of System V Release 2
> with Release 1 utilities; b. System V Release 3 on an AT&T 3B2).

I've re-booted more SCO XENIX (286 & 386) systems because they've hung
or paniced than almost everything else I've ever used, combined!  The
most reliable system I've used is my AT&T 3B2.  Even our shoddy old
ISC 386/ix 1.0.6 is more reliable than any SCO O/S I've used.  The
scariest O/S I currently have access to is the AT&T 3B1 3.1.5.4, with
Starlan.  It trashes things like wtmp and panics for no obvious reason.

I've not used SCO's UNIX 3.2 enough to know if it is any more stable,
but because of other issues I strongly recommend against using it.

> Although it was stable and relatively free of bugs, the quality of
> documentation was standard AT&T, which means no indexes, poor
> organization, and nonexistent information about system administration
> procedures.  The Xenix documentation was little better.

EXCUSE ME?!?!?!  What do you call the permuted index?  I call it the
best damn index ever invented!  Even the SysVr3.0/386 Guide's have good
(normal) indexes for each section!

XENIX documentation always scared me because of the re-organisation.
I was never sure if something had been moved, or removed.

> For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
> try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).  Right now I use
> SunOS at work and find it to be relatively stable and moderately well
> documented.  AT&T's SVR3 seemed to be to a little better debugged than
> SunOS, but it also did far less and the documentation was pretty bad.

Hmm...  It's real hard to determine your prejudices when you say BSD
doc's are great, one paragraph after giving some praise to XENIX doc's.

I find the BSD doc's (i.e. Sun's or the USENIX version) slightly
clunky, since they are attempting to hang on to an organisational
methodology invented for a doc set that would easily fit in your slim
briefcase.

I find the SysVr3.x doc's to be extremely good.  The 3.0 stuff was
missing some info about new features, though a lot of that stuff was
in the release notes for particular implementations.  The 3.2 doc's
fixed my major complaint of splitting the User's Ref. and the Admin's
Ref.

> So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
> 386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes
> cheaper).

Hmm... I thought SysVr4.0/386 was quite stable already!  It is quite
cheap from most current suppliers (eg. Dell and UHC).

From what I've seen of the Prentice Hall 4.0 doc's, they are terrific!
If only Prentice Hall would publish a version in/for 8x11 binders, and
publish update sets and "bug" fixes.  I'd pay the extra money!
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/21/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  I hate to agree that this is the state, but having tried a number of
>the 3.2 flavors, I'm convinced that if you don't need some feature which
>is in 3.2 which is not in Xenix, and NFS is the only one which comes to
>mind, your reliability will be better with Xenix than and 3.2 I've
>tried.

I disagree.  We run Interactive 3.2 2.20 and have had NFS up
and running for weeks without problems.  With the fast file
systems - NFS really shines --

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>addressed in a future rev.

My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
below 1 megabyte)..

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (12/21/90)

In <350@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>Nonsense.  AT&T's manual set for System V/386 r3.2 (published by Prentice
>Hall) work fine for ESIX.  You can order them from you local bookstore.

Two problems.  1.  AT&T's manauls do not include anything about
sendmail, TCP/IP, and associated programs such as remsh, ftp, rlogin,
and slconfig.  2. AT&T's manuals are generally of poor quality.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (12/21/90)

SO many people have mailed or posted insisting that SVR4 really can
handle more than 1024 ESDI cylinders that I'm actually going to break
down and try another install... after Christmas.  (I can't believe I'm
deciding this.)  I'll let you know how it comes out.  Mail any more
hints.

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (12/21/90)

In <94408977@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>addressed in a future rev.
Which version of SVR4 is this ?? Does it really not cope with > 1024
cylinders ? I've installed Dell SVR4 on a 640MB ESDI drive with no difficulty
at all - 1628 cylinders, 54 sectors/track, 15 heads ~= 664,000,000. SVR3.2
could do this. The code ought to try to get the geometry from the drive
anyway, but prompt to check that what it has got is correct. It doesn't
matter that the AT BIOS is braindead and has to truncate the FDISK partition
at 1023 cylinders since UNIX should ignore it.
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (12/21/90)

In <350@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) wrote:

> I am *scared* of SVR4!!  When/if my clients have to upgrade, they
> will have to add at least 4 Mb of memory and probably suffer a
> performance degradation as well.  (Someone please tell me this isn't
> really true!)

I recently used some of our test hardware on SysVr4 and discovered
that the interrupt handler latency (time from interrupt acknowledge to
reading from device) is better than the handler latency in SysVr3.
This isn't the whole story by any means, but it's a good sign.

Another feature is that the "sticky" bit doesn't appear to be needed
any more to avoid excess disk activity when a binary is started.  If
you run emacs twice in a row, there isn't any disk activity the second
time (if you have that much RAM).

The SysVr4 compiler isn't real bright (worse than SysVr3 I think), but
you can use gcc for production code.

> And it won't markedly improve the functioning of their existing
> software, either.

Well, what about job control, BSD-style line editing (I'm not sure
what BSD calls this), long file names, etc?  Something in there seems
useful.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) (12/21/90)

In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
->          Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
->things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
->for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
->bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
->miserable quality).

compared to what.
I have the full manual set and it is as good as anything I have seen.

->
->For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't

With *GAG* C2 security from *cough* secureWare?

->For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
->try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).  Right now I use

no can do on a 386/AT unless you have a source license ($100,000)

->SunOS at work and find it to be relatively stable and moderately well

good for you but I the issue is 386 UNIX's

->
->Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
->release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by

at least a year

->
->So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
->386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes

I think it is just fine.  I would guess that the main problem you have
with the 386 UNIX's is the lack of BSD features.

->--
->Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
->UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

--
It is easier to build a   | Brian Beattie          (703)471-7552
secure system than it is  | 11525 Hickory Cluster, Reston, VA. 22090

mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) (12/22/90)

From article <350@metran.UUCP>, by jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts):
> In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>
> Judging from postings in this newsgroup, ESIX has fewer bugs or other
> problems than ISC 2.2 or SCO UNIX.  In working with ESIX, so far I haven't
> run into any problems that I couldn't work around or solve either on my
> own or with the help of ESIX tech support.  They are responsive *and*
> helpful both over the phone and by email.

Judging from the experience of setting up a half dozen ESIX systems, I'll
never buy from them again! Anybody (ISC, SCO, Microport) has less bugs.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike@cimcor.mn.org

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (12/22/90)

>In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
->          Everex has a fair implementation (except for one or two
->things that don't work at all) but the worst documentation I have seen
->for an operating system (based on the two manuals included with what I
->bought -- you can buy more manuals, which I suspect will be of the same
->miserable quality).

Plus Esix is a dog performance wise.  I benchmarked it against many other
machines for my last client's fairly large project.  Our benchmark
performed typical transaction-styled database lookups and modifications.
A compaq DeskPro 33 mhz system running ISC 2.2 and a compaq supplied 300
meg disk permformed about 300 "transactions" per second.  The client's
Sequent (4 processor unit) did about 170.  An IBM Sh*tstation 6000/54 (I
think that's right, anyway, second from the top) would do about 310 when
it was not crashing.  This system (20 mhz clone board with fast SCSI
drives and ISC 2.0.2) does about 120.  A 25 mhz clone system with ESDI
drives did  exactly ONE transaction per second.  This is the same
performance we  observed from an NCR 200 (4 tps) and an NCR 400 (1 tps).

What this tells me is that the Esix port is pure AT&T file system without
any performance enhancements at all.  The compaq was most impressive coupled
with the new release of ISC.

>->
>->For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
>With *GAG* C2 security from *cough* secureWare?

Yeah, SCO is pretty much all 'round bad.  Even though ISC has their stupid
little authorization-style copy protection, it is no where near as bad
as SCO's.  I think SCO is following in the footsteps that IBM laid with
the PC and is giving up the lead through sheer stupidity.

>->For good documentation and powerful features, you have no choice but to
>->try to find a BSD derivative (anything except Ultrix).  Right now I use

>no can do on a 386/AT unless you have a source license ($100,000)

Plus I don't know that I'd want to mess with BSD in a commercial environment.
Perhaps if someone like ISC took BSD and made a product from it by cleaning
it up and adding value, I'd be interested.  But after spending the past
little while crawling through bezerklyware networking code, I'd not want
to risk my reputation on unadorned BSD.

Besides anyone who is complaining about documentation should really look
at ISC's 2.2 release docs.  All 62 lbs of them!  The installation and
administration guide in particular is as good of Unix documentation
as I've seen.  Particularly the part on line printer management.

True, there is no "This is Unix" style beginner's guide but I as an
experienced unix system admin and developer have found just about everything
I've wanted to know in the manuals.

I've advocated pinging ISC for their stupidity over things like the
authorization manager (I can hardly wait for this thing to take a client's
system down.  I'll do everything I can to sic the lawyers on 'em.) and
their moronic support policy.  At the same time, I advocate giving them
credit where it is due.  Their performance and their documentation are
excellent.  Hey Interactive!  How about rediscovering the spirit that must
exist in the tech writing department and applying it to your support
policies.  And can the authorization manager and call it a bad wet dream.
Ok?  And stick the Korn shell in the distribution just for good measure.

>->
>->Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
>->release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by

>at least a year

I hope never.  I hope that by the time we have to look at R4, commercial
Mach and/or commercial free BSDs will be available.  AT&T's new motto:

"Unix:  The product that we just couldn't kill - though we tried real hard."

------------------------------------
$finger AT&T

Logname: ATT                  In real life: The Phone and Cash Register Company

project - Kill Unix
plan - Issue Release 4, buy NCR.

-------------------------------------

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (12/22/90)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> >Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days...
> My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
> problems with the multiport boards ...

Larry's problem is one of a larger class, which says that memory upgrades
are not necessarily cheap and trivial.  While it's true that you can almost
go to the corner grocery and buy SIMMs at $50/Mb, come home, plug 'em in to
a modern motherboard, fire up and go, there are cases where "just add more
memory" doesn't work now, and more cases where it won't work in the future:
	- Larry's example--memory-I/O problems limits max memory.
	- Common SX boards are limited to 8 Mb.  That may not seem too bad
	  now, but (a) it's a hard limit for those boards and (b) there's
	  no indication that kernel bloat is slowing.
	- Large installations:  It may be no big deal to add 4 Mb ($200)
	  each to a few machines...but what if you've got a thousand
	  machines in the field to upgrade?
	- Memory for older machines/motherboards can be very expensive.
	  The wonder of memory < $50/Mb becomes less wondrous if you have
	  to spend $1000 on a new motherboard to get it.
	- Memory-intensive applications:  If you're using your machines for
	  something real, and it happens to need a lot of memory, sucking
	  up that memory for the kernel may either push you into heavy
	  paging or reduce the size of the largest problem you can solve.
	  The incremental cost of adding a little waste to the kernel can
	  be very high.

But perhaps the reason I find the ever-increasing kernel size so galling is
not so much that it creates certain problems as that it's entirely un-
necessary...
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec20.233843.28559@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
>problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
>below 1 megabyte)..

Why is this?  Does this mean (do you think?) that if I up my machine to
16MB, my AST 4-port board will not work?

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

In article <1990Dec21.173407.10249@atc.SP.Unisys.COM> mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) writes:

>Judging from the experience of setting up a half dozen ESIX systems, I'll
>never buy from them again! Anybody (ISC, SCO, Microport) has less bugs.

bugs like what?

It's funny how this "which 386 unix is best" conversation goes round and round.
Back in Aug/Sep when I was deciding between SCO/Interactive/Everex, practically
everyone on the net was talking about the problems they'd been having with
SCO and Interactive.  Now it seems that Esix-bashing has come in vogue!
Geeeesh!  :-)

--

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (12/22/90)

In article <5407@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>What this tells me is that the Esix port is pure AT&T file system without
>any performance enhancements at all.

No.  The default ESIX file system is their version of the BSD FFS.
But although I've never run any quantitative benchmarks, I would tend
to agree that ESIX's file system is slower.  I run ESIX-D on a 386/33
with 8 MB at home, and ISC 2.0.2 on a 386/25 with 4 MB at work.  Both
have Miniscribe 6085 drives running 1:1 interleave.  The ISC system
just feels faster, even though it's on a slower machine with less
RAM.  But overall, ESIX seems more robust.  No panics, crashes, or
spurious reboots like I have with ISC.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec21.223449.14660@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>Why is this?  Does this mean (do you think?) that if I up my machine to
>16MB, my AST 4-port board will not work?

It really depends.  If a card puts it's data space in the "magic" 340k that
lives between 640k and 1Mb, then it's safe.  However, if it puts it at, oh,
say, 0xc00000, then you cannot put in physical memory that will conflict
with it.  (That address, incidently, is where my ancient Cornerstone Monitor
puts its frame buffer; really nice, except it doesn't work 8-(.)  I've seen
indications that one video card puts its frame buffer at 0xd0000000; as you
may suppose, that is an EISA card.  Since ISA is limited to 24 address bits,
you can see the problem.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/22/90)

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:

>Plus Esix is a dog performance wise.  I benchmarked it against many other
>machines for my last client's fairly large project.  Our benchmark
>performed typical transaction-styled database lookups and modifications.

I've heard this from several others --

>What this tells me is that the Esix port is pure AT&T file system without
>any performance enhancements at all.  The compaq was most impressive coupled
>with the new release of ISC.

what release of ESIX were you using?  I understood that D contained
the BSD FFS --

>Yeah, SCO is pretty much all 'round bad.  Even though ISC has their stupid
>little authorization-style copy protection, it is no where near as bad
>as SCO's.  I think SCO is following in the footsteps that IBM laid with
>the PC and is giving up the lead through sheer stupidity.

I agree - only the OS and Visix contain serial numbers (with 2.20 ISC)

>credit where it is due.  Their performance and their documentation are
>excellent.  Hey Interactive!  How about rediscovering the spirit that must
>exist in the tech writing department and applying it to your support
>policies.  And can the authorization manager and call it a bad wet dream.
>Ok?  And stick the Korn shell in the distribution just for good measure.

ISC 2.20 and SCSI is a screamer - no doubt about it.

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/22/90)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>In article <1990Dec20.233843.28559@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>>
>>My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
>>problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
>>below 1 megabyte)..
>>

>Why is this?  Does this mean (do you think?) that if I up my machine to
>16MB, my AST 4-port board will not work?

your board shouldn't effect you being able to install 16 megs - my
problem relates to the address that the board requires for proper
operation.  Computone in their wisdom designed a board which requires
256k to run - even through they only have 128K on the board.  I don't
have 256k free below 1 megabyte.  I've went round and round with
Computone tech support without any success.  The board runs fine
at it's current address (14 megs) - I wonder if I could place it
just shy of 16 megs (16 megs - 256k) and if ISC Unix 2.20 would
use all that memory (up to 16 megs - 256k)?

I usually have 4 users on my machine downloading (we all know
very few BBS users actually upload), 1 X session (with 6 applications),
complete news processing for 15-18 machines (of 1100+ newsgroups),
plus a couple of telnet sessions - and I really could use more memory.

Plus - I plan on opening up shell access on nstar.rn.com - then
users will have access to word perfect, and all the other utilities
and tools which consume memory (like the compilers and such)..

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>RAM.  But overall, ESIX seems more robust.  No panics, crashes, or
>spurious reboots like I have with ISC.

I never have had problems like this with either 2.02 or 2.20 - this
machines runs and runs without problems.  Sometimes we loose power
2-3 times a week, and nstar reboots, checks all the file systems
and comes back up in around 25 minutes (we have lots of file systems
to check)..

ISC here on nstar is very solid - but on the same machine -
Intel release 4.0 (2.0) is another ballgame --

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/23/90)

In article <94408977@bfmny0.BFM.COM>, tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <350@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
> >I am *scared* of SVR4!!  When/if my clients have to upgrade, they will have
> >to add at least 4 Mb of memory and probably suffer a performance degradation
> >as well.  (Someone please tell me this isn't really true!)  And it won't
> >markedly improve the functioning of their existing software, either.
>
> I'll tell you it's not true if you'll tell us why you thought it WAS true.

Mostly a number of informal and unreliable sources...  But then there's
Microport's product info with words to the effect that "you can use a
minimum of 4Mb, but you should really have 8", and a usenet posting a
couple of months ago from an employee from Unisoft stating that SVR4 does
not run smoothly in any less than 5 Mb.  This means my clients with 4Mb
systems that already run smoothly will need to get another 4 Mb chunk.

> For equivalent functionality -- note that phrase please -- SVR4 looks
> about 20% bigger than the comparable SVR3v2.2 system.  But remember that
> SVR4 adds a lot of functionality!

None of which will be used by my clients.  I am trying not to nitpick at this
point (I still want to be friends, after all), (ahem...)  but, if the
functionality is *equivalent* and the kernel takes up 20% more space with a
lot *more* functionality, then ... um ... what were your trying to say,
anyway???

> Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.

I remember reading that just about *everywhere* immediately prior to the
big RAM drought a couple years ago.

I am not going to be happy until RAM is less than $25 per Mbyte.  (And
available :-)

Hey, I didn't mean to be so negative, after all, I'm a UNIX enthusiast, too!
My point is that for the common office automation environment, UNIX is getting
to be serious overkill.  It's hard to sell UNIX against, for example, TurboDOS,
which is small, efficient, inexpensive, and easy to administrate.

I'm not trying to suggest we all switch to a CP/M-variant or a Mach-derivative
:-), but I think that UNIX is getting a little too monolithic for small
systems.  OK?

In fact, what really scares me is not the size of the kernel, but the size
of the documentation.  Back in the days when computers costed millions of
dollars, took up their own rooms and had their own air conditioners, it was
not unreasonable to hire a team of system managers to be experts on the
bookshelf full of documentation.  But now the computer sits under a table
in an office and costs about $5000.  There is no team of system managers,
there is just me.  And I happen to think that a bookshelf-full of
documentation is a bit much.  I first became interested in UNIX because
it was a neat, simple, efficient and sensible alternative to the big, bad,
ugly IBM, Burroughs and Sperry mainframes.

I am starting to feel like someone is weaning me away from my favorite toy.

> My only beef is that, for a
> UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
> support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
> my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
> addressed in a future rev.

You're kidding?  There must be a way around that problem!  Someone help
this guy.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				Tampa FL
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay
--------------
I feel like going into a submarine for a few months.

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec20.233843.28559@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>
> My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
> problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
> below 1 megabyte)..

Curiosity strikes again.  Just which multiport boards would those be?

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

In article <51537@bigtex.cactus.org>, james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> In <350@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts, I) wrote:
>
> > I am *scared* of SVR4!!
>
> > And it won't markedly improve the functioning of their existing
> > software, either.
>
> Well, what about job control, BSD-style line editing (I'm not sure
> what BSD calls this), long file names, etc?  Something in there seems
> useful.

Job control, line editing?  Do you think that office workers use the shell?
Mostly, they are entering data and making menu selections.  Long file names
are a noticeable improvement.  Well, maybe.  Just offhand, I don't remember
seeing any truncated filenames in users' home directories.  Not many, anyway.

(Boy, now I've done it -- I've stuck myself into playing devil's advocate
against one of my favorite pieces of technology.  Somewhere there must
be a cure for me :-)

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec21.173407.10249@atc.SP.Unisys.COM>, mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) writes:
> > In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>
> Judging from the experience of setting up a half dozen ESIX systems, I'll
> never buy from them again! Anybody (ISC, SCO, Microport) has less bugs.
>
>     -Mike Grenier
>      mike@cimcor.mn.org

				Jay Ts
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

In article <1990Dec20.175625.17487@eci386.uucp>, woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> In article <2812@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>
> > Although it was stable and relatively free of bugs, the quality of
> > documentation was standard AT&T, which means no indexes, poor
> > organization, and nonexistent information about system administration
> > procedures.  The Xenix documentation was little better.
>
> EXCUSE ME?!?!?!  What do you call the permuted index?  I call it the
> best damn index ever invented!

Omigod!  I'll run for the fire hose, you call 911 for the fire department!

[Sorry, but I gotta do this; I've been saving this up for years.]

Of all parts of AT&T's (or anyone else's) documentation, I think the permuted
index is the most flammable by far!  If it works, it works great, but if it
doesn't, you have nothing left to do but sit back and meditate (which usually
works for me :-).

Unfortunately, the permuted index is the *only* index for the Reference
Manuals, and this seems to be standard practice for not just AT&T/ESIX,
but other vendors as well.

The problem is, it's essentially produced by machine.  To get it to work,
you have to think of the right keyword in UNIXspeak.  For example, I recently
had to write a small program to do unbuffered, character-at-a-time terminal
I/O.  I thought, "This should be simple, I'll just grab the Programmer's
Reference Manual, and take a look at the wonderful permuted index."  Searches
based on "character", "buffer", "canonical", and everything else I could
think of all utterly failed to bring me nearer to termio(7) in the *System
Administrator's* Reference manual.  (Looking in the SA's Ref Manual in the
first place would not have worked any better.)  And once I found termio(7) with
a combination of my understanding of UNIX, clairvoyance and exhaustive search,
I still had to read carefully before I discovered it really was the right place
to look!  The programming method was simple; just do a ioctl() to clear the
ICANON bit, and a few other things.  I just can't believe how hard it was to
look up.

Now get this:  I just looked through the whole permuted index (in the SARM)
and every reference to termio(7) is generated from the line

termio(7): general terminal interface

which is what is listed under NAME on the termio(7) manual page!  Now, feel
free to flame at me if you think I'm misguided (I've got the firehose now)
but I think this method of indexing is a little deficient.  (But it was
great back when I was working in a research environment with a number of
UNIX gurus, at least one of which would tell me something other than
"RTFM!" :-)

Basically, the permuted index works well only for those with enough experience
and knowledge to already know exactly where to look.  If you think there's
nothing wrong with having the permuted index as the sole index, then I guess
you can take this as a compliment.

What is needed, IMO, is a real index (IN ADDITION to the permuted one) that
is created the old fashioned way, by a thoughtful human reading through the
book and making index entries for each subject wherever it appears.

Am I crazy or stupid, or is that not a good idea?

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/23/90)

In article <51537@bigtex.cactus.org>, james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> Well, what about job control, BSD-style line editing (I'm not sure
> what BSD calls this), long file names, etc?

SCO's 3.2v2 already has job control, and line editing via ksh.  It shouldn't
be too difficult to make a long-filename filesystem (only about, oh, three
or four months worth of work 8-)), so you industrious hackers out there can
get started now... 8-;

Seriously, once again, I *like* 3.2v2.  It's decent, it's only crashed due
to my stuff (playing with the console driver does strange things to the rest
of the system.. 8-)), and it's got most of the features I like in it.  It's
got a way to go before it's perfect, but, then, so does any other OS.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec22.134904.25395@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>your board shouldn't effect you being able to install 16 megs - my
>problem relates to the address that the board requires for proper
>operation.  Computone in their wisdom designed a board which requires
>256k to run - even through they only have 128K on the board.  I don't
>have 256k free below 1 megabyte.  I've went round and round with

I couldn't find anything in the documentation for the AST board saying
anything about any memory address.  I guess since it's not an intelligent
board, maybe it doesn't have any of its own memory?

>I usually have 4 users on my machine downloading (we all know
>very few BBS users actually upload), 1 X session (with 6 applications),
>complete news processing for 15-18 machines (of 1100+ newsgroups),
>plus a couple of telnet sessions - and I really could use more memory.

Larry, what kind of video hardware are you using to provide adequate
performance in X?  I don't use X much myself, because this little Multisync
II (14") and ATI VGA Wonder (only supported to 640*480 in Esix X) just don't
cut it -- too small and too slow on re-draw.

>Plus - I plan on opening up shell access on nstar.rn.com - then
>users will have access to word perfect, and all the other utilities
>and tools which consume memory (like the compilers and such)..

What made you decide to start offering shell access, Larry?  A while back
you mentioned that you were concerned about the potential security risk
here.

I haven't seen much posted from you for a while (until the past few days).
Have you been away?

Bill Heiser
--

In article <351@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>not run smoothly in any less than 5 Mb.  This means my clients with 4Mb
>systems that already run smoothly will need to get another 4 Mb chunk.

This means that people with boards like mine will have to jump to 16MB!
My board only supports chunks of 8mb...

--

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (12/23/90)

In article <352@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>In article <1990Dec20.233843.28559@nstar.rn.com>, larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>
>> My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
>> problems with the multiport boards (which I can't seem to get to work
>> below 1 megabyte)..
>
>Curiosity strikes again.  Just which multiport boards would those be?

I'm not sure about others, but...

Both the Corollory 8x4 boards and the Consensys Powerports require you
to set a separate memory address for each board (you shouldn't need too
many boards, though, as they can be configured to hold 32 and 48 ports
per board, respectively).

On both cards, the address is settable to EITHER somewhere above 12Meg
or somewhere between 640K and 1Meg. One has to be a bit careful about a
setting in the latter range because it can conflict with auxilliary BIOS
locations (often found on video or disk boards). But it is preferable,
and necessary if you want to install >12Meg of RAM.

Both cards require you to set a port, and the Corollory needs an
interrupt too.

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

In article <357@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>  [flame of permuted indexes deleted]
>
>Basically, the permuted index works well only for those with enough experience
>and knowledge to already know exactly where to look.  If you think there's
>nothing wrong with having the permuted index as the sole index, then I guess
>you can take this as a compliment.

You go on and on about how bad the permuted index is when our real complaint
(and somewhat justified) is that the one-line description of the manual page
(which is used to build the permuted index) is not always conceived with
the thought that it is the basis for the index.

>What is needed, IMO, is a real index (IN ADDITION to the permuted one) that
>is created the old fashioned way, by a thoughtful human reading through the
>book and making index entries for each subject wherever it appears.

I would rather see a better description line which would make the permuted
index even better.  Perhaps a better solution would be to insert a couple
of different description lines, if appropriate.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

In article <879@visenix.UUCP> beattie@visenix.UUCP (Brian Beattie) writes:

| ->
| ->For business purposes I recommend SCO.  Although I personally haven't
|
| With *GAG* C2 security from *cough* secureWare?

  The discussion, had you followed it before posting, was about Xenix
for business use. I agree, for people who want to use their system
instead of play with it, Xenix is fine. It runs a hugh number of
applications, and is reliable. It also handles more peripherals than any
other version I've seen.

| ->Also available, still in beta-test (though they call it a "production
| ->release") is System V Release 4.  I would wait another year, but by
|
| at least a year

  If you want beauty, wait that year. If you want a system which doesn
panic, V.4 is pretty fine right now. The documentation is somewhat
sparse, but other than that it looks good.

| ->
| ->So, although the picture looks pretty bleak right now for UNIX on the
| ->386, things should improve when SVR4 stabilizes (and, I hope, becomes
|
| I think it is just fine.  I would guess that the main problem you have
| with the 386 UNIX's is the lack of BSD features.

  Having used BSD, SunOS and Ultrix on a regular basis for some years, I
fail to identify these features which I'm supposed to miss. The only
feature I regularly find useful is symbolic links, and that's usually
used to get around poor system administration.

  What else is supposed to be so useful?
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

| Why is this?  Does this mean (do you think?) that if I up my machine to
| 16MB, my AST 4-port board will not work?

  It only effects cards which are memory mapped and can't be put between
640k and 1MB. You also have to turn off memory shadow in that range if
you have memory mapped devices there.

  Original poster: you did turn off shadow memory when trying to put the
board in that range, right?

  I think the AST is i/o mapped, but the clone I ordered hasn't come yet.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

alan@ahmcs.com (Alan Mintz) (12/24/90)

In article <1990Dec21.214440.20985@ico.isc.com>, rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
> > tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> > >Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days...
> > My beef is that I can only put 12 megs in my machine without causing
> > problems with the multiport boards ...
>
> Larry's problem is one of a larger class, which says that memory upgrades
> are not necessarily cheap and trivial.  While it's true that you can almost
> go to the corner grocery and buy SIMMs at $50/Mb, come home, plug 'em in to
> a modern motherboard, fire up and go, there are cases where "just add more
> memory" doesn't work now, and more cases where it won't work in the future:

> 	- Memory for older machines/motherboards can be very expensive.
> 	  The wonder of memory < $50/Mb becomes less wondrous if you have
> 	  to spend $1000 on a new motherboard to get it.

Or people like Northgate, who produced machines that actually required a
PAL change to change from 256K to 1Mb chips (even on some machines that use
SIMMs). They actually have the balls to charge $100 for two PAL chips.
(Of course, the salesman mentions, they are included if you buy your
memory from them - at $150/Mb)
--
< Alan H. Mintz             | Voice +1 714 980 1034 >
< Micro-Quick Systems, Inc. | FAX   +1 714 944 3995 >

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/24/90)

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>Both the Corollory 8x4 boards and the Consensys Powerports require you
>to set a separate memory address for each board (you shouldn't need too
>many boards, though, as they can be configured to hold 32 and 48 ports
>per board, respectively).

>On both cards, the address is settable to EITHER somewhere above 12Meg
>or somewhere between 640K and 1Meg. One has to be a bit careful about a
>setting in the latter range because it can conflict with auxilliary BIOS
>locations (often found on video or disk boards). But it is preferable,
>and necessary if you want to install >12Meg of RAM.

>Both cards require you to set a port, and the Corollory needs an
>interrupt too.

Likewise on the Computone Intelliport - they require an interrupt
and can be addressed either from 12-16 megabytes - or below one megabyte -
but the issue is finding enough memory below 1 MEG in one block to get
the job done..

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/24/90)

davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  Original poster: you did turn off shadow memory when trying to put the
>board in that range, right?

of course.

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (12/25/90)

In article <1990Dec23.160807.3207@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <357@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
> >
> >  [flame of permuted indexes deleted]
> >
> >Basically, the permuted index works well only for those with enough experience
> >and knowledge to already know exactly where to look.  If you think there's
> >nothing wrong with having the permuted index as the sole index, then I guess
> >you can take this as a compliment.

> You go on and on about how bad the permuted index is when our real complaint
> (and somewhat justified) is that the one-line description of the manual page
> (which is used to build the permuted index) is not always conceived with
> the thought that it is the basis for the index.

Well, sorry for the verbosity :-), but my complaint really is that the permuted
index is built not from the DESCRIPTION, but the NAME field of the manual page.
Especially for entries like termio(7), which I had used as an example, there are
a number of subtopics in the DESCRIPTION that are not simply and obviously
connected with the vague overview given in the NAME field.

> I would rather see a better description line which would make the permuted
> index even better.  Perhaps a better solution would be to insert a couple
> of different description lines, if appropriate.

Or to have some intelligent software (or a human) look through the DESCRIPTION
part of the manual page and make its own, and then make the permuted index from
that...
				Jay Ts
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (12/25/90)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>In article <350@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>>I am *scared* of SVR4!!  When/if my clients have to upgrade, they will have
>>to add at least 4 Mb of memory and probably suffer a performance degradation
>>as well.  (Someone please tell me this isn't really true!)  And it won't
>>markedly improve the functioning of their existing software, either.
>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>addressed in a future rev.
Which version of SVR4 are you running?  Microport SVR4 can use >1024 cylinders.
The /stand and root filesystems should be inside 1024 [just to make sure that
unix is below 1024.  I have a Maxtor 8380E - with 1600+ cylinders - I have
access to all of it.

Speaking of Maxtor - I've had a few occurances of my drive suddenly going nuts
It sounds like someone knocked the needle across a record.  Anyone have an
idea what goes on?  Also - Maxtor's warranty period starts when the
WHOLESALER buys the drive - not the user.  I got a good price, but 6 months
of Maxtor's warranty period was gone.  I don't get the best of feelings
talking to them on the phone either.  I wish all companies were as good as
Telebit in suporting their product.  By the way - the first 8380E I got
didn't work at all!

			Richard Ducoty

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root@mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc@mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (12/27/90)

In <355@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) wrote:

> And it won't markedly improve the functioning of their existing
> software, either.

| Well, what about job control, BSD-style line editing (I'm not sure
| what BSD calls this), long file names, etc?  Something in there seems
| useful.

> Job control, line editing?  Do you think that office workers use the shell?
> Mostly, they are entering data and making menu selections.

Sounds like their existing software is Mess-DOS.

> Long file names are a noticeable improvement.  Well, maybe.  Just
> offhand, I don't remember seeing any truncated filenames in users'
> home directories.  Not many, anyway.

Even Mess-DOS has line editing.

The only thing about SysVr4 an "office worker" is likely to really
notice is that TCP/IP and NFS work much better than SysVr3, and then
only if they're running over NFS or something.  The big win for SysVr4
is for the programmer.
--

robinro@bomber.ism.isc.com (Robin Roberts) (12/28/90)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>addressed in a future rev.

Have you considered IDE instead of ESDI? I put a 200meg IDE drive with 1272
cylinders on my machine running ESIX rev B [two revisions out of date...]
and it sees all the cylinders.  Which is more than I can say for the MSDOG
4.01 fdisk ...

--
Robin D. Roberts           | <This space closed for remodeling.  Watch for
Interactive Systems Corp.  |  a new witty quotation scheduled to open in

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (12/28/90)

In article <2829@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In <350@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>
> >Nonsense.  AT&T's manual set for System V/386 r3.2 (published by Prentice
> >Hall) work fine for ESIX.  You can order them from you local bookstore.
>
> Two problems.  1.  AT&T's manauls do not include anything about
> sendmail, TCP/IP, and associated programs such as remsh, ftp, rlogin,
> and slconfig.  2. AT&T's manuals are generally of poor quality.

Well, since AT&T didn't bundle any of the TCP stuff into UNIX System V
Release 3.2, I don't doubt the manuals are devoid of information about
it.  If you have the manuals for the Networking package, I think
you'll find further information.  Certainly ESIX and ISC deliver
supplementary manuals for this stuff when you buy the appropriate
package.

As for the AT&T quality, you obviously have narrow experience with
computer manuals.  They are of relatively high quality, being
reasonably free of bugs, and reasonably complete, and have
understandable organization.  They are certainly orders of magnitude
better than the SysVr2.2 manuals!
--

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec27.191554.21098@ism.isc.com> robinro@bomber.ism.isc.com (Robin Roberts) writes:

>Have you considered IDE instead of ESDI? I put a 200meg IDE drive with 1272
>cylinders on my machine running ESIX rev B [two revisions out of date...]
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
>Robin D. Roberts           | <This space closed for remodeling.  Watch for
>Interactive Systems Corp.  |  a new witty quotation scheduled to open in
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Egad, this guy works for ISC and yet advertises running the competitor's
software! Is this bad press or what :-}! Naturally, I have an excuse, if
turnkey were a 3090-600 of course I would ONLY be running AIX370 :-} :-}!!

Disclaimer: What, me speak for the company? Surely you jest :-}!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/28/90)

robinro@bomber.ism.isc.com (Robin Roberts) writes:

>tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>>addressed in a future rev.

>Have you considered IDE instead of ESDI? I put a 200meg IDE drive with 1272
>cylinders on my machine running ESIX rev B [two revisions out of date...]
>and it sees all the cylinders.  Which is more than I can say for the MSDOG
>4.01 fdisk ...

better yet if one wants a screaming system - SCSI - the 1542B remaps the
drives to have 64 heads -

robinro@bomber.ism.isc.com (Robin Roberts) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.080341.8331@turnkey.tcc.com> jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>In article <1990Dec27.191554.21098@ism.isc.com> robinro@bomber.ism.isc.com (Robin Roberts) writes:
>
>>Have you considered IDE instead of ESDI? I put a 200meg IDE drive with 1272
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^
>>Robin D. Roberts           | <This space closed for remodeling.  Watch for
>>Interactive Systems Corp.  |  a new witty quotation scheduled to open in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Egad, this guy works for ISC and yet advertises running the competitor's
>software! Is this bad press or what :-}! Naturally, I have an excuse, if
>turnkey were a 3090-600 of course I would ONLY be running AIX370 :-} :-}!!
>
>--
>Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
>AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
>Locus Computing Corp.		jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM

Well Jack certainly had fun with me 8-).  Good shot as a matter of fact!

I do not run ESIX at Interactive.  My ESIX experiences predate my employment
at Interactive.  I was attempting to provide my assistance to the orig
poster about something I had previous experience with.

I did not intend and do not now to discuss the relative merits of ESIX vs.
Interactive products.  That would not be appropriate.  Suffice it to say that
I run Interactive products both at work and on my personal machine now.

I look forward in the future to learning which of Locus' competitors Jack
Vogel has previous experience with . 8-)
--
Robin D. Roberts           | <This space closed for remodeling.  Watch for
Interactive Systems Corp.  |  a new witty quotation scheduled to open in
Calabasas, Calif.          |  the Spring of 1991! >
Internet: robinro@ism.isc.com CompuServe: 72330,1244 GEnie: R.ROBERTS10

carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) (12/29/90)

I am disappointed that NOBODY has dared to comment publicly on my post
about "'386 Unix Wars."  However, I did receive quite a bit of private
mail in response to my message.  Most of the respondents expressed a
desire to remain anonymous. I suppose I should have expected this.
Anyone qualified to give an educated opinion on the various brands of
i386/i486 Unix available most likely has already invested large amounts
of cash in one package or another, and the support staffs of SCO and
Interactive both monitor this network.

Nonetheless, below are excerpts from the private mail I've received so
far, edited for anonymity.  Hopefully they will spur others to add to
the discussion.  I haven't invested in an operating system yet, so
perhaps I'm in the unique position of being able to post my opinions
publicly.  So far my impression is that ISC emphasizes technical
excellence above all else (making developers happy, but alienating end
users) while SCO emphasizes marketing above all else (making end users
and retailers happy, but alienating developers).

*** Response #1: *************

For whatever it's worth.... my comments. I work at SCO.

> 1) Relative merits of Xenix vs. Unix.
XENIX is SVID and SVVS compliant pretty much.  It has no NFS, no
FFS, no FSS (i.e., can only mount XENIX file systems), no CDROM
support, limited support for shared memory.  It's cheap, small, and
mature code (The new 2.3.4 version has ksh, fast SCSI and some
other benefits).  It will be supported indefinitely.  If you believe
that real standards are de facto, then XENIX wins hands down over
all others.  (over 250,000 sold).

> 2) Experiences of end users with SCO, Interactive, and other firms.
I've only used SCO.  The current SCO UNIX 3.2 version 2 is pretty solid
and fast.  Quite a few peripherals are supported, and it's backward
compatible for XENIX apps.  The best buy is Open Desktop, runtime at $995
list.

> this topic far more actively while we still have a chance to determine
the
> direction desktop Unix will take.  If we allow market forces alone to
> decide which standards succeed, we may be disappointed in the long run.

SCO has been successful at listening.  We dont really do much else except
shoot ourselfs in the foot occasionally (as with C2).

Pls dont quote me. Thx.  Good luck!  I agree that the more discussion
the better.  I know that SCO, at all levels, welcomes and participates
in these discussions, but we cannot speak out on the net too much
for the obvious reasons.

*** Response #2: *************

My reading of the situation is that if you are looking for a
production platform, SCO is more stable and better
supported.  If you want an OS that is "just like my 3B2,"
you'll prefer Interactive.

The point I'm trying to make is that SCO has a lot more
"value added" features.  Those that need to use several
different Sys V hardware platforms and don't have the time
to learn about the "new improved" system administration
methods of SCO (for instance) will prefer Interactive.

Some of SCO's value added features are of debatable value --
see the ongoing discussion of C2-like security -- but the
point is that SCO is commited to enhancing and supporting
the System V OS.

My recommendation is to go with SCO unless you specifically
need compatibility with something else.

*** Response #3: *************

My main recommendation is to stay away from Interactive Systems Corp.
They have arguably the worst technical support I have ever seen (and
I've seen some bad support operations over the years).  Not only are
they unlikely to help you with your problem, they are likely to be
very rude while they do so.  There have been countless horror stories
here of the form, ``I called ISC with problem XYZZY, they said they
would work on it, my thirty days of free support are over with no fix
yet and when I call them they say my thirty days are up and I'll have
to buy a support contract.''  Then they usually hang up immediately.

Our experiences with ISC have been somewhat different, but have
evidenced similar behavior, and it is getting much worse, not better.

In fact, it is so bad I ask that if you quote me to the net I ask that
you not use my name or my company's name.  Please be very careful about
this.  We still occassionally need to talk to people at ISC, and they
seem to take criticism very personally there.  (At one time we sold ISC
almost exclusively, now we try to avoid it at all costs.  That's a shame,
their product has a lot to offer, they were first in many areas (host
based TCP/IP, and X Windows to name but two) in their product
category.  They still have what is arguably the best X windows product
around.  But it just isn't worth it.

I have seen a comment in this newsgroup that their ISV support is much
better than their end-user support.  I can't comment on whether that
is true.

As for SCO, it is a decent product, and we have found their technical
support to be excellent.  (We are a distributor, or some such, as an
end-user your mileage may vary.)  They have free mailing lists and
a newsgroup and seem very responsive to questions asked there.  I have
some concerns about SCO.  Many have complained about their C2
security.  I share these complaints, although I have learned to live
with it, I would much rather be able to delete it entirely.  There X
Windows is primitive and slow compared to Interactive's.  It also
sometimes seems like you are joining the version-of-the-month club
with SCO, which is probably a direct consequence of their being
as esponsive to user complaints as they are.

More recently, products based on Unix V.4 are available from several
vendors including Dell, UHC, Microport, and Intel.  We just bought a
copy of Dell, and it looks quite solid, although the X Windows is
again not up to ISC's standards.  I personally think V.4 is going to
be the way to go in the future, but it may be a little premature
today.  Significantly, ISC's telnet daemon has problems with V.4
telnet clients.  This is because of something ISC did, and is another
strike against ISC.

I guess this sums up to be a recommendation for SCO.  Especially if
you are less interested in X.  They have some definite features
including support for WD7000 SCSI adapters (our favorite, despite
Adaptec's dominance) and a CD-ROM file system.  About the only down
side is their C2 security and (to some extent) their insistence on
mmdf over sendmail.  (But we use neither -- smail3.1.19 is the way to
go, and we have compiled for ISC and SCO.)

Oh yes, you asked about Xenix.  Xenix seems to be a thing of the past.
SCO keeps threatening to drop support for it.  Then the existing users
complain and SCO promises they won't do that as long as customers who
want to continue using it exist in sizable numbers.  Nonetheless, it
now seems pretty low on the support food chain (i.e. it is the last to
get the latest enhancements) and the chances of being orphanned in the
next few years probably rule it out.  Xenix was THE system for 286
boxes.  I think its time has passed.  (I also suspect a similar result
for V.3, but that will probably take some years.)

Hope this helps.  Maybe I'm being paranoid about wanting my quotes on
ISC to be anonymous, but I'd definitely appreciate your not including
my comments in any posting or email without deleting references to my
name and organization.  We've had a lot of experiences that lead me to
believe we are being singled out as a ``bad organization''.  We once
had them refuse to ship us an update because ``those guys find too
many bugs''.  I'd rather not risk alienating the few people there who
still look out for us.  (What a shame it has come to that.)

*** Response #4: *************
Support from the vendor (for the retailer) is important, and ISC has
definitely been taking hits for that lately.  They are under a lot of fire

over their new (4-5 months) policy of charging an additional fee for
support to vendors of their products.  News flash -- SCO ALWAYS did this!
Buy what you want.  The real bottom line though, is buy from someone who
will support you.  You're going to need it.

*** Response #5 **************

I hope this helps.

I installed SCO UNIX V/386 on a 80486 box app. 3 months ago.

Whatever you do, if you go the SCO route make sure you get version
3.2.2.  I had the most horrible problems with 3.2.0 and 3.2.1.

Also, remember that SCO is a "trusted" systems conforming to the C2
security level of your DoD. This can be good ot bad, dependent of what
you expect of security. If you want tight security, it's great, if you
like to do some hackking around, it's terrible because of the things you
canNOT do.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (12/29/90)

As quoted from <51823@bigtex.cactus.org> by james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen):
+---------------
| In <355@metran.UUCP>, jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) wrote:
| > Job control, line editing?  Do you think that office workers use the shell?
| > Mostly, they are entering data and making menu selections.
|
| Sounds like their existing software is Mess-DOS.
+---------------

Most of our (Telotech, no relation to ncoast) customers run either Uniplex or
MS Word, either Informix or Unify 2000, and/or RealWorld accounting --- all
from AOM menus.  All Unix.  And very few of them ever use the shell or would
know what to do with job control (indeed, I expect "bug reports" from
customers on ACS5000's when SCO Unix 3.2.2 comes out --- we got them on the
AViiON, which has job control).

Most office workers couldn't care less about the shell.  They want an easy-to-
use menu system, the OS is irrelevant.  These are neither sysadmins nor gurus;
they just want the silly computer to do what they tell it to do, and prefer
that telling it what to do be as easy as possible.  (Which I can't fault;
after all, my primary home machine is a Mac.)

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

In article <277bb1de-8ae.1comp.unix.i386-1@point.UUCP> carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) writes:
>I am disappointed that NOBODY has dared to comment publicly on my post
>about "'386 Unix Wars."  However, I did receive quite a bit of private
>mail in response to my message.  Most of the respondents expressed a
>desire to remain anonymous. I suppose I should have expected this.
>Anyone qualified to give an educated opinion on the various brands of
>i386/i486 Unix available most likely has already invested large amounts
>of cash in one package or another, and the support staffs of SCO and
>Interactive both monitor this network.

Well, that's what you should have expected with the way you phrased your
question and the subject of your posting!

>Nonetheless, below are excerpts from the private mail I've received so
>far, edited for anonymity.  Hopefully they will spur others to add to
>the discussion.  I haven't invested in an operating system yet, so
>perhaps I'm in the unique position of being able to post my opinions
>publicly.  So far my impression is that ISC emphasizes technical
>excellence above all else (making developers happy, but alienating end
>users) while SCO emphasizes marketing above all else (making end users
>and retailers happy, but alienating developers).

Actually, there are a few other differences.  I'll comment as I go.

>*** Response #1: *************
>
>For whatever it's worth.... my comments. I work at SCO.
>
>> 1) Relative merits of Xenix vs. Unix.
>XENIX is SVID and SVVS compliant pretty much.  It has no NFS, no
>FFS, no FSS (i.e., can only mount XENIX file systems), no CDROM
>support, limited support for shared memory.  It's cheap, small, and
>mature code (The new 2.3.4 version has ksh, fast SCSI and some
>other benefits).  It will be supported indefinitely.  If you believe
>that real standards are de facto, then XENIX wins hands down over
>all others.  (over 250,000 sold).

Correct.  Xenix is also damn solid.  As for "limited support of shared
memory" don't tell that to any of my SVID-style applications which use it
VERY heavily without trouble!

Older versions were prone to panicking when heavy use was made of S5 IPC
features; 2.3.2 and beyond should be ok (2.3.2 is known to be ok here).

>> 2) Experiences of end users with SCO, Interactive, and other firms.
>I've only used SCO.  The current SCO UNIX 3.2 version 2 is pretty solid
>and fast.  Quite a few peripherals are supported, and it's backward
>compatible for XENIX apps.  The best buy is Open Desktop, runtime at $995
>list.

NO!

Open Desktop has a few (actually, several) problems:

1) It's "open" about the same way that Sun's Openwindows is -- that is,
   a window manager with an X environment which others can write to IF
   they want to.  It's definately not MOTIF!

   Ask about something like Framemaker for ODT -- then try to run that copy
   on someone else's X server, such as ISC's or Dell's.  Good luck!

Also, that $995 is somewhat of a loss leader.  Expect to spend another $1000
on a development system (which anyone will need if they want to program) and
another $1000 by the time you get everything else you might want (like a NFS
server, etc).  Also, that $995 is a single-user (perhaps actually two user),
single-workstation license.

Their "C2" security, which can't be turned completely off, will frustrate
you to no end.  Forget about doing things "your way" -- you get to do it
"the secure way".  C2 could easily be SCO's biggest mistake in 10 years.
The concept is good -- the mandatory nature of it bites!

>>this topic far more actively while we still have a chance to determine the
>> direction desktop Unix will take.  If we allow market forces alone to
>> decide which standards succeed, we may be disappointed in the long run.
>
>SCO has been successful at listening.  We dont really do much else except
>shoot ourselfs in the foot occasionally (as with C2).
>
>*** Response #2: *************
>
>My reading of the situation is that if you are looking for a
>production platform, SCO is more stable and better
>supported.  If you want an OS that is "just like my 3B2,"
>you'll prefer Interactive.

Note that SCO also has had trouble with stability with their Unix 3.2.  I
have a customer who had HORRIBLE problems with 3.2.0, and it took him months
to get SCO to listen to him at all!

>Some of SCO's value added features are of debatable value --
>see the ongoing discussion of C2-like security -- but the
>point is that SCO is commited to enhancing and supporting
>the System V OS.

System V is a specification of features and functionality.  When you remove
some of that by adding something like C2 which you can't disable, it isn't
really System 5 anymore!

>*** Response #3: *************
>
>My main recommendation is to stay away from Interactive Systems Corp.
>They have arguably the worst technical support I have ever seen (and
>I've seen some bad support operations over the years).  Not only are
>they unlikely to help you with your problem, they are likely to be
>very rude while they do so.  There have been countless horror stories
>here of the form, ``I called ISC with problem XYZZY, they said they
>would work on it, my thirty days of free support are over with no fix
>yet and when I call them they say my thirty days are up and I'll have
>to buy a support contract.''  Then they usually hang up immediately.

SCO has done the same kind of thing.  BOTH companies seem to feel that you
have no right of expectation to a bug-free product, or one which conforms to
the appropriate documentation and standards in the industry -- unless you
buy a nice expensive support contract.

Welcome to the world of Desktop Unix.  The entry price is $1499; please fork
up an additional $900 per year to make sure it works once you have given us
our money.

>As for SCO, it is a decent product, and we have found their technical
>support to be excellent.  (We are a distributor, or some such, as an
>end-user your mileage may vary.)

As an end user SCO has the same problem that ISC has.  Fork up the cash or
forget about BUG FIXES.

Folks, support and bug fixes are TWO DIFFERENT ISSUES.

Asking how to add an account is support.
Getting a fix for a persistant PANIC problem is a BUG FIX.

The first companies should and do charge for.

The second is something I should be able to get for free, since I paid for a
WORKING package, not "15 diskettes with whatever happens to be on them".

>Oh yes, you asked about Xenix.  Xenix seems to be a thing of the past.
>SCO keeps threatening to drop support for it.  Then the existing users
>complain and SCO promises they won't do that as long as customers who
>want to continue using it exist in sizable numbers.  Nonetheless, it
>now seems pretty low on the support food chain (i.e. it is the last to
>get the latest enhancements) and the chances of being orphanned in the
>next few years probably rule it out.  Xenix was THE system for 286
>boxes.  I think its time has passed.  (I also suspect a similar result
>for V.3, but that will probably take some years.)

Of course Xenix is low on the food chain - it doesn't need to be fed!

Xenix has ONE big advantage -- it works, and is ROCK solid.  I would still
recommend it for business use, as you know what you have to spend up front.
Now, if you need solid TCP/IP, any form of NFS, or a few other things then
it's no longer a viable option.  For those who want a single-station system
with lots of terminals plugged in, it's still (and has been for a couple of
years) a winner.

>*** Response #4: *************
>Support from the vendor (for the retailer) is important, and ISC has
>definitely been taking hits for that lately.  They are under a lot of fire
>over their new (4-5 months) policy of charging an additional fee for
>support to vendors of their products.  News flash -- SCO ALWAYS did this!

Correct.  SCO has always charged their dealers for support.   So has ISC.
As they well should -- anyone who can't read the documentation needs to be
hit in the wallet for "babysitting".

However, system-crashing problems are another matter entirely, and one that
vendors have addressed in the same was as "support".  They ARE NOT THE SAME
ISSUE!

'Nuff said.  I still like ISC despite the problems with getting help.  2.2
is a pretty solid release, with a relatively short exception list.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.170614.22573@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>Correct.  Xenix is also damn solid.

And small, and relatively fast.  (Some comments about this below.)  It's
simple, in many ways, and doesn't have as many features as 3.2.  But that
may be what you want.  In which case, I'd say go for xenix.

>Also, that $995 is somewhat of a loss leader.  Expect to spend another $1000
>on a development system (which anyone will need if they want to program) and
>another $1000 by the time you get everything else you might want (like a NFS
>server, etc).  Also, that $995 is a single-user (perhaps actually two user),
>single-workstation license.

Well, some comments here.  First of all, ODT is being targeted as a
workstation, but not completely.  A desktop X machine, with local
processing, I guess is what you would call it.  (Face it, you can get a
'386SX, some semi-decent display, a bit of ram and a smallish disk, for only
a little more than most X terminals.  Granted, the display size of the X
terminals is larger, but that isn't the only issue.)  Since that is the
case, having more than two users doesn't make sense for that configuration
(and, in fact, to get that price, it *needs* to be a two-user license).
Similarly, not everybody in your company, where you've just bought 100
copies of ODT, is going to program; most likely, you're going to have one or
two people doing the programming and support for everyone else.

>Their "C2" security, which can't be turned completely off, will frustrate
>you to no end.  Forget about doing things "your way" -- you get to do it
>"the secure way".  C2 could easily be SCO's biggest mistake in 10 years.
>The concept is good -- the mandatory nature of it bites!

It's going, it seems.  Various messages from the net alone say that the next
version of 3.2 from SCO will at least potentially be non-C2.  That is, you
will at least be able to completely disable the C2 stuff, if it isn't
shipped like that.

>Note that SCO also has had trouble with stability with their Unix 3.2.  I
>have a customer who had HORRIBLE problems with 3.2.0, and it took him months
>to get SCO to listen to him at all!

I agree with 3.2.0.  Note, however, that 3.2v2 is the latest release, and
that's what kithrup is running (do you think I would run something at home
that I didn't trust?).  Also, at work, we're using 3.2v2 in all of systems
engineering; that is, the machines we get mail on, and read news from, and
work on, are 3.2v2 (well, the development machines are often a strange
hybrid 8-)).  3.2v2 is fairly robust and stable.  kithrup has panic'ed
twice, once due to a badly written device driver (my own, unfortunately).
I am *happy* with 3.2v2, and I *like* it.  And, once again, this is stated
as someone who *uses* it, not as someone who produces it.

>SCO has done the same kind of thing.  BOTH companies seem to feel that you
>have no right of expectation to a bug-free product, or one which conforms to
>the appropriate documentation and standards in the industry -- unless you
>buy a nice expensive support contract.

Well... look at it another way.  Support personel are expensive.
Development people are expensive (as are all the people to back them up:
production, documentation, sales, managers, internal support, hardware
maintainance, etc.).  So... would you rather have to pay $8000 for a single
license, and get the support you want, or pay $1000, and get somewhat
limited support?  Note that people at SCO and ISC *do* read this group, and
some of them (us) are very protective towards their (our) respective
products.  While not everyone has access to usenet, it *is* something.
(I've also gotten email from people who had other people give them my name,
and I do try to help.  It's not my highest priority, but it is something I
pay attention to.)

I've been told that SCO has lots of its SLS's available for free (read about
them in the monthly postings).  I am sure ISC does something similar, even
if my biases do get in the way 8-).  The upgrade from 3.2.0 to 3.2v2 costs
money (unless you bought 3.2.0 after a certain date, if I remember
correctly); this is largely because 3.2v2 added lots of features, not just
fixing bugs.  In particular, 3.2v2 is *lots* faster in terms of filesystem
performance, and in other areas as well.  (It outperforms xenix in some
respects, now.)

>[bug fixing] is something I should be able to get for free, since I paid for a
>WORKING package, not "15 diskettes with whatever happens to be on them".

For the most part, I agree.  However, if you are the only customer
experiencing this panic, and it is not readily reproducible, why should a
company spend thousands of dollars to fix it?  I know it sounds callous, but
money has to come from *somewhere*.  And, of course, see the comment about
SCO's SLS's above.

>However, system-crashing problems are another matter entirely, and one that
>vendors have addressed in the same was as "support".  They ARE NOT THE SAME
>ISSUE!

Agreed.  And, again, the 'support' part of it comes from the fact that
people, who get paid, are needed just to interface with you while describing
the problem.  Then they need to test it, and, if it behaves as indicated,
they then get back to you and say, 'Yep, it's a problem, we're putting an
engineer on it right now.'  Now, if it *is* a system-crashing problem, that
more than two or three people run into, it is probably worth it.  But what
if it *isn't* a problem?  That your hardware is what's causing it?  Are you
going to fork over the money that the company spent afterwards?  No?  Then
how do you expect the company to stay in business?  Work out the math
yourself; it's not that hard.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/31/90)

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

> First of all, ODT is being targeted as a
> workstation, but not completely.  A desktop X machine, with local
> processing, I guess is what you would call it.

What's wrong with using Xenix for this, other than the outrageous
"extra" cost of Streams in order to be able to buy TCP for it ? Other
than "No NFS" I suppose.  Hrrmph.  The *only* piece of functionality
that you don't get from Xenix.  And that's a *marketing* decision isn't
it ? With all the mention of FFS in the various bits of Xenix TCP
documentation, it can't be that most of the work to put it in hasn't
been done ? Not that it's a particularly difficult hack anyway,
compared to some of the SYSV->Xenix hacks SCO have already done,
it seems (looking from the sidelines :-)

> Granted, the display size of the X
> terminals is larger, but that isn't the only issue.)

aww, 16" SVGA/8514 screens for PCs aren't *that* expensive anymore.
Especially not if you only want monochrome.
I could live with non-interlaced 1024x768 16" mono...

H'm.  When the free X for Xenix patches come out next month (cross
fingers) maybe that'll be an incentive to swap back to Xenix ...

> I am *happy* with 3.2v2, and I *like* it.  And, once again, this is stated
> as someone who *uses* it,

OK Sean, I believe that, but have you considered how much happier you might
be running SVR4 instead ?  Hey, that's a *good* idea......

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

In article <1990Dec30.170614.22573@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

| Correct.  Xenix is also damn solid.  As for "limited support of shared
| memory" don't tell that to any of my SVID-style applications which use it
| VERY heavily without trouble!
|
| Older versions were prone to panicking when heavy use was made of S5 IPC
| features; 2.3.2 and beyond should be ok (2.3.2 is known to be ok here).

  That's been my experience.

| 1) It's "open" about the same way that Sun's Openwindows is -- that is,
|    a window manager with an X environment which others can write to IF
|    they want to.  It's definately not MOTIF!
|
|    Ask about something like Framemaker for ODT -- then try to run that copy
|    on someone else's X server, such as ISC's or Dell's.  Good luck!

  I'm not sure what you mean about that one... I have run my WM on ODT
and clients on lots of other machines (Sun, Ultrix, Convex, Xenix,
Stardent) and run the WM from other machines and used ODT applications,
both without unexpected problems. If you mean that SCO is on X11R3 and
the world is on X11R4 about to go to X11R5, that's true. I've given up
on that issue, they have told me about enhancements coming for X11R3,
and asked for a non-disclosure agreement to get a copy of the *public
domain* Athena widgets for ODT. However, the disk is free, and if it
doesn't cost you $500 to run the agreement past a corporate lawyer you
can just ask for it.

| Also, that $995 is somewhat of a loss leader.  Expect to spend another $1000
| on a development system (which anyone will need if they want to program) and
| another $1000 by the time you get everything else you might want (like a NFS
| server, etc).  Also, that $995 is a single-user (perhaps actually two user),
| single-workstation license.

  For someone who wants to run applications it's just perfect. It needs
no development set or anything else, and you can have one server with
shared applications mounted. A bargain, if it it what you need. I'm
told that the price will go up a lot in 1991, and if that's tre it may
effect our vendor, since we budgeted for a certain price we get by
buying in quantity from a VAR.

| SCO has done the same kind of thing.  BOTH companies seem to feel that you
| have no right of expectation to a bug-free product, or one which conforms to
| the appropriate documentation and standards in the industry -- unless you
| buy a nice expensive support contract.

  SCO has a nice free machine loaded with SLS's to solve many of the
common problems. They have released things as complex as a new C
compiler there. Many bug fixes can be gotten there.

| Folks, support and bug fixes are TWO DIFFERENT ISSUES.
|
| Asking how to add an account is support.
| Getting a fix for a persistant PANIC problem is a BUG FIX.
|
| The first companies should and do charge for.
|
| The second is something I should be able to get for free, since I paid for a
| WORKING package, not "15 diskettes with whatever happens to be on them".

  I agree completely! I have also asked for an option of four hours of
support anytime for a year, instead of all the time I can use in 30
days. This would allow me to ask the tricky questions when they come up.

| Xenix has ONE big advantage -- it works, and is ROCK solid.  I would still
| recommend it for business use, as you know what you have to spend up front.

  Yes, yes, yes! And it runs in at least 2MB less memory than SCO UNIX.

In article <1990Dec31.053142.10444@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>OK Sean, I believe that, but have you considered how much happier you might
>be running SVR4 instead ?  Hey, that's a *good* idea......

Actually, yeah, I have.  And I've also considered how much happier I might
be if I ran xenix.  Or ISC.  Or (*gasp*) Microport.  Or Dell.  Or Esix.
Etc.

My reasons for going with SCO aren't all the same as everyone else's (I
mean, not everyone knows the home phone number of quite a few of the kernel
engineers 8-)), but I think some of them are relevant.  And, as has been
demonstrated time and time again, quite a bit of what I want matches quite a
few people's desires.  Faster kernel, more reliable system, smaller kernel
(quite possibly synonymous with the faster part 8-)), bugless devsys, etc.

Some of the reasons I do use SCO UNIX instead of some other one (including
Mach or BSD, which I can get through various means):  familiarity with the
product (as if you couldn't guess 8-)), stability, features I want/like,
ease of installation, ease of use, ease of maintainance.

kithrup has three main uses:  email, playing around, and news (roughly in
that order of importance).  A friend set up the MMDF system while I was in
Canada for a while, so I really cannot say how easy or difficult it was.  He
said it was fairly easy.  I've since changed it a few times, in relatively
minor ways.  While I admit the documentation could be better (all I had was
the online stuff), it wasn't too hard.  (I think my major gripe with it was
the fact that I ended up, at one point, with a 25Mb log file, which had
eaten up about three quarters of my available disk space.  *grrr*  Hooray
for the quot command! 8-))

For development, I now only do '386 development.  I use both /bin/cc and
gcc (with a slight emphasis on the latter, recently, since I've been doing
lots of inline assembly lately), and have no real non-standard libraries (I
think I replaced the opendir et al in libx.a with the ones from libc, and
did some appropriate changes on the header files to match).  I run into
about as many problems as I did on my Sun-3/50 three years ago, when trying
to port stuff from the net.  Most of the time, I end up trying to teach
programs that BSD systems aren't the only ones with SIGTSTP and company...

For news, well, I run trn, rn, and C News.  Fairly simple to get working.  I
spent about three hours worth of work on C news, including compiling times.
Using cc, not gcc, incidently.  The couple of problems I ran into, I mailed
to Henry, and got some feedback.

Despite my diatribe against C2, I really do have to admit I run into it
rarely.  (When I do, I might scream at my snake for a few minutes, though...
8-) 8-))  If it were just a *little* bit more unobtrusive, I think the only
reason I would notice it's there is because I use sysadmsh to create users
instead of vi, mkdir, and cp.

Anyway, kithrup is a very stable machine.  uptime reports:

  1:57am  up 11 days,  6:15,  6 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.02, 0.00

(the six users are:  root, sef, sef, sef, news, sef.)  It was brought down
11 days ago so that I could install an FPU, and move some of the cars around
to fit better.  Four of those days, I wasn't here at all, and it still
handled mail and news (including forwarding three messages to some people
who are no longer around to play with kithrup).

It took me a shade less than 12 hours to compile the entire X11R4
distribution, a couple of weeks ago (without the FPU, I should add).
Although not incredible, I do believe that is credible performance,
especially, again, while running other tasks (including news, email, some
playing around, and being used as a terminal).

Look, this is a bit longer than I'd intended.  All I'm trying to say is that
3.2v2 is, I think, worthwhile.  I like it, and I *have* considered the
alternatives.  None of them offers me enough benefits to go with the risk
(i.e., a non-SCO supplier [including, potentially, myself!]).  About the
only thing I want on kithrup right now, I think, is dynamic linking, and
I've got a couple ideas about that anyway...

This was not intended to be a sales plug or anything.  Just reasons why I'm
satisfied, for the most part, with what I have.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/01/91)

In <1990Dec23.160807.3207@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P.
Cahill) writes:

>You go on and on about how bad the permuted index is...
                                ^^^

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong UNIX derivative, but:

(a) There is no such thing as *the* permuted index;  there are many of
them, and the user's first challenge is to find the right one.  Also,
there are many manuals for which there is no entry in any permuted
index, because there are many things that are documented in manuals
that are not considered to be part of the traditional "manual pages"
(the "programmer's manual" entries).  The new SVR4 documentation is
even more bizarre than usual:  Each volume contains three to five
different "indexes" of varying quality, and to find anything in a
volume one must look at all of these "indexes" and then do some
additional browsing.

(b) A permuted index based solely on a title cannot be an effective
index.  It may be desirable to have many index entries for a given
topic.  It is not always likely that there will be enough words in the
title of the relevant "manual page" to yield all these entries.
--

geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) (01/01/91)

From article <1990Dec30.193929.16181@kithrup.COM>, by sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
> In article <1990Dec30.170614.22573@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>>SCO has done the same kind of thing.  BOTH companies seem to feel that you
>>have no right of expectation to a bug-free product, or one which conforms to
>>the appropriate documentation and standards in the industry -- unless you
>>buy a nice expensive support contract.
>
> Well... look at it another way.  Support personel are expensive.
> Development people are expensive (as are all the people to back them up:
> production, documentation, sales, managers, internal support, hardware
> maintainance, etc.).  So... would you rather have to pay $8000 for a single
> license, and get the support you want, or pay $1000, and get somewhat
> limited support?

In essence, Sean says that the Karl (as an SCO customer) has no right to expect
that their product should work "as advertised", given their price point which
Sean describes as, "somewhat as a loss leader."  If SCO (or any oem!) had a
disclaimer on their shrink wrap packages that read something like this, I'd
be inclined to agree.

	Notice to Purchaser.  SCO makes no warranty, express or implied that
	this product functions according to the documentation which SCO
	furnishes as part of the package.  The purchasor has no rights
	whatsoever. The purchasor must purchase a support contract before
	SCO will even speak to him concerning the use, functioning or
	operation of this product.

Its been some time since I opened any SCO products, but I think I would
remember seeing it if it was there.  I expect ISC is no better.  To say
nothing of ATT!  Their shrink wrap 386 SVR3 comes with free support for
something like three months.  But try to collect.  If you don't have a
piece of their hardware, their service organization won't talk to you.
(That's my experience as of almost two years ago.  Perhaps they've changed.)

Rather than having a discussion of what <your oem> has done to you lately,
perhaps we could shift the discussion to what are reasonable expectations
for product labeling and performance.  Keep in mind, that we are talking
about low-end product here.  Stuff that competes with OS2.  Many -- perhaps
the majority -- of potential purchasors are upgrading.  They have no knowledge
of UNIX and have never heard of UseNet.  Do the oems have any responsibilities,
or is it buyer beware?

My response to this question is radical.  I believe that it is in the economic
self-interest (albeit long term) of the oem to provide full support as part of
the cost of the package.  In other words, "fre" support.  The model I have
in mind is that used by Word Perfect, who (as of a year ago, at least) had
an 800 number that would talk to you about any aspect of the product whatsoever.They didn't even attempt to eliminate bootleg copies.  As I see it, the
basic advantage to the vendor of such a policy is that it builds good customer
relations.  Would the vendor perfer to have a customer that loves him and his
product -- and will, as a result, be willing to put up with a lot of hassle
should a bad release ever get out -- or one that is looking for any way at
all to replace the vendor's product with a new one?  Perhaps less obvious,
but still a real advantage, is that the vendor is forced to face up to the
necessity of producing a quality product.  Bugs become a cost to the
organization rather than a profit center.

Unfortunately, the computer industry is run, for the most part, by bean
ounters.  Anything that reduces the cost of the product is OK by them.
Well, I disagree.  If we don't know that a buggy product is not a product
at all, then we are making a fatal mistake.
If we don't learn that if we ship products (hardware or software)
that do not live up to the customers' expectations for quality, then our
industry will go the way of the American automobile industry.

Geoff Leach

carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) (01/01/91)

Here's another response to my request for opinions about i386 Unix:
**************************
From: ddsw1!riacs!rutgers!sirius.ctr.columbia.edu!david (David Freidlander)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 90 00:35:59 -0500
To: riacs!lll-winken!ddsw1!point!carson (Carson Wilson)

Just thought I should respond to your posting.  One of your
correspondents says he(she) has had very bad experiences with
Interactive Systems.  I can only say that my experiences have been
quite the opposite.  A real human being answers the phone very
quickly, and this person almost always has an answer.  If they don't
have an answer, they DO get back to you, invariably.  I have been
working with Interactive for about 2 years now.

Possibly this depends partly on the area of the country in which you
are.  I am in New York, and my support is from the office in New
Hampshire.  This part (I don't know how large a part it is) has
recently broken away and formed its own company called "Multi-User
Systems", which makes me think that something unusual may have been
happening there.

For the record, I have been selling Interactive Unix as well, so
perhaps I'm an interested party.  But I will say that their support is
a major reason why I have continued to work with them.

You can quote me on this if you want, with or without my name.

David Friedlander

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.170614.22573@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>In article <277bb1de-8ae.1comp.unix.i386-1@point.UUCP> carson@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson) writes:
>
>As an end user SCO has the same problem that ISC has.  Fork up the cash or
>forget about BUG FIXES.

This is just plain FALSE, bugfixes are freely available via the uucp box
"sosco".

We all have our faults and SCO is not without theirs, but let's give
credit where credit is due as well.

If they (sco) would ever stop this service, then I would scream too,
but right now, I'm a happy camper.
--
uucp: holston!barton
pseudo: barton@holston.UUCP

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.213625.5481@Veritas.COM> geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>In essence, Sean says that the Karl (as an SCO customer) has no right to
>expect
>that their product should work "as advertised", given their price point which
>Sean describes as, "somewhat as a loss leader."

Really?  Where did I say that?

What Sean says, in essence, is that support is expensive, and I would not
expect any vendor to spend too much money on a no-win proposition.  If a
product just does not work, that's one thing, and I mentioned that.  But you
seem happier to believe that I think software support should cost lots of
money, something I never said.

Why don't you try a) reading what I wrote, and b) try dealing with the
vendors in question before you start saying how they operate?  Or is that
too much effort?

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/01/91)

As quoted from <1990Dec31.100329.23178@kithrup.COM> by sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
+---------------
| that order of importance).  A friend set up the MMDF system while I was in
| Canada for a while, so I really cannot say how easy or difficult it was.  He
| said it was fairly easy.  I've since changed it a few times, in relatively
| minor ways.  While I admit the documentation could be better (all I had was
| the online stuff), it wasn't too hard.  (I think my major gripe with it was
+---------------

MMDF is one of the things SCO did right.  I plan to bring it up on a number of
other systems --- it beats sendmail all hollow for ease of maintenance.  And
the fact that it can handle a pathalias file by itself is nice, too.

+---------------
| the fact that I ended up, at one point, with a 25Mb log file, which had
| eaten up about three quarters of my available disk space.  *grrr*  Hooray
| for the quot command! 8-))
+---------------

The MMDFIIb #43 distribution on louie.udel.edu is worth getting just for the
documentation.  There is an automatic log maintenance facility in MMDF, where
you set a threshhold size and MMDF will run a program CMDFLDIR/setlogs when a
log exceeds that size.  "setlogs" is user provided, although there are
examples in the distribution; you can use a shell script and pretty much have
it do whatever you want.  (One of the benefits of having real documentation.)

+---------------
| Using cc, not gcc, incidently.  The couple of problems I ran into, I mailed
| to Henry, and got some feedback.
+---------------

Speaking of which....

(Please note that this is NOT an official bug report.  I'm still trying to
determine the exact problem and will pass it through official channels when I
have done so.)

I've been building MGR for the system I have to install.  (X is just too big
and too demanding for the circumstances.  A window manager which is complete
in 400K has a lot going for it....)  Anyway, cc will not compile the bitmap
code properly; it looks like a bit-twiddling macro used very often in the code
is being mis-compiled by cc.  I used gcc instead.  (On the other hand, gcc
botches the bitblt code completely; I had to use cc to get it to work.  And
rcc handled *neither* properly.)

+---------------
| 8-) 8-))  If it were just a *little* bit more unobtrusive, I think the only
| reason I would notice it's there is because I use sysadmsh to create users
| instead of vi, mkdir, and cp.
+---------------

Far and away, my *biggest* complaint with C2 is that some of the things it
does actually *reduce* system security.  If I want to su to another account to
deal with something (say, bsa -> mmdf), I must become root first.  I could
make mmdf "owned" by bsa, but what if lenj needs to do some maintenance on it?
Or I could make it a normal account and log out and back in, but this reopens
security holes closed by the concept of an administrative account.
Additionally, the administrative accounts collide with the use of luid's by
cron and at:  I must either make accounts like mmdf regular accounts or make
crontab changes as root directly to the crontab file *and* *then* *reboot*
to make cron see it; the "crontab" command uses the luid to determine whose
crontab to update, and you can't kill and restart cron without setting its
luid.  (Or using a hack to start it from init --- hack because cron puts
itself in the background, so the process started by init has to fork cron,
then sleep and occasionally kill -0 the process to see if it still exists.)
The reboot is inconvenient, to say the least (especially on a production
system); having to make changes as root pretty much cancels out security.
These flaws pretty much make the concept of administrative accounts useless.
A pity, as some of the things done in the name of security are d*mned useful.
My favorite example of the latter is allowing group "lp" to maintain the
spooler system, in conjuction with group vectors so that authorized users can
be given group "lp".

+---------------
| (i.e., a non-SCO supplier [including, potentially, myself!]).  About the
| only thing I want on kithrup right now, I think, is dynamic linking, and
| I've got a couple ideas about that anyway...
+---------------

All it would take to add dynamic linking to COFF is for someone with some time
to study the COFF format and write the COFF equivalent of BSD's "ld -A".
Someday --- except that things have moved on, and I'll probably wait for SVR4
and ELF if it isn't in there already.

++Brandon
(The most frustrating thing about SCO UNIX is that it contains the seeds of
greatness.  But it BADLY needs fertilizer, and the sh*t that comes with it
isn't working....)
--

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (01/01/91)

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In <1990Dec23.160807.3207@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P.
>Cahill) writes:

>>You go on and on about how bad the permuted index is...

>Maybe I'm looking at the wrong UNIX derivative, but:
>(a) There is no such thing as *the* permuted index;  there are many of
>them, and the user's first challenge is to find the right one.  Also,

Great.  Now we have the "index wars".  Think of the permuted
index as a crude form of what is now called hypertext (or
give me a word, and I'll give you a clue).  Since the number
and size of the manuals, documents, updates, release notes,
tutorials, user guides, references, and such tend to grow
linearly with code size, the days of the PRINTED index are
numbered.  Documentation is no longer released with the software,
but staggered to meet the realities of printing schedules.
A printed permuted index is usually obsolete when the first
release notes, updates, and bug fixed arrive.

The answer to this problem is in front of your face.  The
index should be on-line.  One should be able to type a keyword
and some database should belch the document name, current
version, and page references.  My illusions are a hypertext
like indexer with context sensitive suggestions.  The final
output should be either a man page or a manual page reference.

I've been lobbying for such an on-line index with various
vendors and have attracted zero interest.  I've suggested
to some database vendors that their "demo" database should
be an index to their documentation.  No interest again.
Oh well....

Trivia:  From the cover of Radio Shack's latest catalog; "Creating
New Standards".  I always wondered where standards came from.

--
# Jeff Liebermann   Box 272   1540 Jackson Ave     Ben Lomond    CA  95005
# (408)336-2558 voice  (408)429-0483 digital pager  wb6ssy  CIS:73557,2074

geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) (01/02/91)

From article <1991Jan01.000527.14406@kithrup.COM>, by sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
> In article <1990Dec31.213625.5481@Veritas.COM> geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>>In essence, Sean says that the Karl (as an SCO customer) has no right to
>>expect
>>that their product should work "as advertised", given their price point which
>>Sean describes as, "somewhat as a loss leader."
>
> Really?  Where did I say that?

You're right.  It was Karl.  Sorry 'bout that.

> What Sean says, in essence, is that support is expensive, and I would not
> expect any vendor to spend too much money on a no-win proposition.  If a
> product just does not work, that's one thing, and I mentioned that.  But you
> seem happier to believe that I think software support should cost lots of
> money, something I never said.
>
> Why don't you try a) reading what I wrote, and b) try dealing with the
> vendors in question before you start saying how they operate?  Or is that
> too much effort?

Well, to answer (b) first.  I have delt with the vendors in question, although
I'm not entirely sure what the point that you're trying to make is.  Are you
saying that they're shipping a bug-free product?  Or that the problems that
Kieth referrs to are unimportant?

As to (a), here's the text from your article:

"Well... look at it another way.  Support personel are expensive.
 Development people are expensive (as are all the people to back them up:
 production, documentation, sales, managers, internal support, hardware
 maintainance, etc.).  So... would you rather have to pay $8000 for a single
 license, and get the support you want, or pay $1000, and get somewhat
 limited support?"

This does sound to me like you think support IS expensive.  If you think
support shoulod NOT be expensive, then its certainly not apparent.  However,
its not what you think that's at issue here, and I didn't intend to dump
on you.  Sorry if it seemed that way.

My point was that there seems to be a mindset in this industry that product
quality is an economic issue, i.e., that one can "afford" to ship buggy
software, because its "too expensive" to get it right.  Making a profit center
out of product support makes this easier to do.

My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.
If this is felt to be too expensive, then the vendor should take a look at
why its expensive.  If the reason is that the product has bugs, then the
vendor should do a better job of building the product in the first place.

If computers were cars, everyone but the Amish would be dead by now.

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (01/02/91)

In article <1991Jan01.183414.19220@Veritas.COM> geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>You're right.  It was Karl.  Sorry 'bout that.

'Sokay.  I was tired and cranky when I followed up to your posting.  Sorry
'bout that 8-).

>This does sound to me like you think support IS expensive.

It is.

>My point was that there seems to be a mindset in this industry that product
>quality is an economic issue, i.e., that one can "afford" to ship buggy
>software, because its "too expensive" to get it right.  Making a profit center
>out of product support makes this easier to do.

Yes and no.  Yes, one can "afford" to ship buggy code, provided it meets
most peoples requirements, because it will never be noticed.  Note that, in
some cases, it is impossible to prove current software bugfree.

>My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.

And I suggest you take a look at the costs for it.  It takes too much money
to support everyone, especially when, as I said in another article, it's not
necessarily the software vendor at fault.

>If computers were cars, everyone but the Amish would be dead by now.

Do you expect the person you buy your car from to provide "support"
indefinitely?  Do you go up to mechanics and ask them detailed questions
about what's wrong with your car?  Do you give them the keys to the car and
ask them to find out what's wrong and fix it?  This is, is a lot of ways,
quite close to the problem with software, since a large part of the cost is
diagnosis.

You commented about software not working as advertised.  I don't know
exactly, since I haven't taken too close a look, but I believe that both ISC
and SCO have a list of hardware vendors whose products are known to work
with the software.  If you go to a third party, or mix things not covered by
either party, who should pay for anything that breaks?

Software support *is* expensive.  I do believe that the approach most
vendors take, of offering a limited amount of support with the product, is
the correct thing to do (I may have quibbles with the exact details for
each, mind you, but the idea is right), because it gives the "average"
person, who is most likely to run into problems when setting up the system
initially, a chance to get started.  For the people who are running into
problems all the time, well, they should pay for the time they're using.

This is known as capitalism.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

rli@buster (Buster Irby) (01/02/91)

geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:

>My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.
>If this is felt to be too expensive, then the vendor should take a look at
>why its expensive.  If the reason is that the product has bugs, then the
>vendor should do a better job of building the product in the first place.

Your point is well taken.  However, you seem to believe that the
only problems that people call support for are caused by the
vendor.  This is seldom the case in a high volume product.  A lot
of calls to support happen simply because a self styled expert
failed to RTFM.  Do you believe that vendors should provide free
support for self inflicted problems?

I do agree that free upgrades (read charges for copying and
shipping only) should be provided.  Also, there should be no
charges when reporting bugs.  I also believe that the user must
accept some responsibility as well.  I do not want to pay a
higher price for any product simply because some other people
refuse to RTFM.

--
Buster Irby  (buster!rli)

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/02/91)

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:

>MMDF is one of the things SCO did right.  I plan to bring it up on a number of
>other systems --- it beats sendmail all hollow for ease of maintenance.  And
>the fact that it can handle a pathalias file by itself is nice, too.

	Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. I've had a few frustrating
years working with earlier and more recent versions of the package, and
experienced nothing but frustration with the version included in ODT 1.0.
Since we distribute our own mailer, it's not like we "need" MMDF, but we
did want to see what, if anything, it offered and how well we would work
together.

	As it happens, the more we substituted our own components, the
more reliable the box became. The last straw came one morning when I found
104 undelivered messages in the spool directory, but all the tools indicated
an empty queue. I'll certainly check out the next version when ODT 1.1 comes
out, but for now, it's been purged from our system.

	As to pathaliasing, we found no way to use the existing paths file;
rather we had to create an mmdf-specific variant of same. Given a 1 MB paths
file, the variant came to more than 2 MB. We junked it.

----------------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake			shwake@rsxtech

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506@buster> buster!rli writes:
>I do agree that free upgrades (read charges for copying and
>shipping only) should be provided.

Do you also believe that, say, Ford should give you a free car every year
when they come out with the new model?  Why not?

Most upgrades have new "features."  While I will agree (usually 8-)) that
bug fixes should be readily available (free or cheap), I don't thing new
"features" should be free.

>Also, there should be no
>charges when reporting bugs.

Now, here is something I completely agree with.  And I also think that
someonw who reports a bug should get the bug fix free (or reasonably priced,
depending on exactly what the "fix" is), if one becomes available.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (01/03/91)

In article <1990Dec23.122201.3819@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
[......]
>What made you decide to start offering shell access, Larry?
>
>I haven't seen much posted from you for a while (until the past few days).
>Have you been away?

I generally try to avoid flaming but I just can't resist a comment here. Bill,
you know if you and Larry want to "chat" there is this arcane application
just perfect for such things...ITS CALLED EMAIL...you know, you press 'r'
instead of 'f' :-}. Enough said??

There, I feel better now :-}.

--

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (01/03/91)

According to sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
>Look, this is a bit longer than I'd intended.

Yeah, right.  :-)

>All I'm trying to say is that 3.2v2 is, I think, worthwhile.

Since I've often railed against C2, let me chime in here with some
agreement.  SCO UNIX is a worthwhile product and a useful environment.
It's only the C2 that really gets my goat.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/03/91)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>Larry, what kind of video hardware are you using to provide adequate
>performance in X?  I don't use X much myself, because this little Multisync
>II (14") and ATI VGA Wonder (only supported to 640*480 in Esix X) just don't
>cut it -- too small and too slow on re-draw.

I have an ATI VGA wonder with 512K - and Interactive X supports
800*600 on my NEC 3D.i

>What made you decide to start offering shell access, Larry?  A while back
>you mentioned that you were concerned about the potential security risk
>here.

I would like to offer shell accounts - so folks can use nn (and trn
if I get it installed) - but I haven't had the time to "secure" the
system - maybe sometime in the near future I will have time to make
the system secure --

  {..!uunet!mailrus!iuvax!ndcheg!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu}

rli@buster (Buster Irby) (01/03/91)

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506@buster> buster!rli writes:
>>I do agree that free upgrades (read charges for copying and
>>shipping only) should be provided.

>Do you also believe that, say, Ford should give you a free car every year
>when they come out with the new model?  Why not?

No, but I do believe that they should offer to fix any mistakes that
they made during a reasonable warranty period, say the first 12 months
or so for free!  I am not against them charging reasonable copying and
shipping fees, just no profit should be made on bug fixes!

>Most upgrades have new "features."  While I will agree (usually 8-)) that
>bug fixes should be readily available (free or cheap), I don't thing new
>"features" should be free.

WRONG, most upgrades are just that, bug fixes.  Furthermore, ISC and
others won't even tell you that the upgrades are available.  For
example, there were six bug fix upgrades between version ISC version 2.0
and version 2.2.  How many people were aware of that?
These were strictly bug fixes, not enhancments.
--
Buster Irby  (buster!rli)

debra@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (01/03/91)

In article <94408977@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>addressed in a future rev.

The 1024 cylinder limitation is not an AT&T invention.
Complain to your vendor.
AT&T Unix sVr3.2 and sVr4.0 (at least the beta i have seen)
have no problems with drives with more than 1024 cylinders,
without the need for funny translation procedures.
I have used a CDC Wren V (383H) with 1224 cylinders and an
Adaptec 2322 controller with both versions of Unix and never had
any problem. ISC 2.0.1 (but i believe later versions have the same
problem) decided (wrongly!) that my system would not support more
than 1024 cylinders and would not let me access the last 200 cylinders.

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com, debra@win.tue.nl)

geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) (01/04/91)

From article <1991Jan02.133014.26506@buster>, by rli@buster (Buster Irby):
> geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>
>>My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.
>>If this is felt to be too expensive, then the vendor should take a look at
>>why its expensive.  If the reason is that the product has bugs, then the
>>vendor should do a better job of building the product in the first place.
>
> Your point is well taken.  However, you seem to believe that the
> only problems that people call support for are caused by the
> vendor.  This is seldom the case in a high volume product.  A lot
> of calls to support happen simply because a self styled expert
> failed to RTFM.  Do you believe that vendors should provide free
> support for self inflicted problems?

Let's not get moral, now.  Remember, part of my argument is that its in the
vendor's self-interest to provide the free support because it promotes
a happy customer.  But there's obviously a limit.

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan02.133014.26506@buster> buster!rli writes:
>geoff@Veritas.COM (Geoffrey Leach) writes:
>
>>My proposal is that product support should be provided free with the product.
   [ etc. ]

> [ .... ]  I also believe that the user must
>accept some responsibility as well.  I do not want to pay a
>higher price for any product simply because some other people
>refuse to RTFM.

Folks, how about a vendor offering a training course (for a fee), the
participants of which receive free or very low cost support. This
training would be optional; anyone who doesn't want to pay for the
training/support doesn't have to. This would eliminate a lot of
the problems with people asking questions instead of reading TFM,
but allows the already-experienced person a low purchase price.

Not perfect, but it's a suggestion I haven't seen yet.

--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary@sci34hub.sci.com

tmh@bigfoot.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE (Thomas Hoberg) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan02.081223.21793@kithrup.COM>, sef@kithrup.COM (Sean
Eric Fagan) writes:

|> Do you expect the person you buy your car from to provide "support"
|> indefinitely?  Do you go up to mechanics and ask them detailed questions
|> about what's wrong with your car?  Do you give them the keys to the car and
|> ask them to find out what's wrong and fix it?  This is, is a lot of ways,
|> quite close to the problem with software, since a large part of the cost is
|> diagnosis.
With a car I can usually detect if not repair the problem myself, even it is a
problem that has come built into the car at manufacture. If there is a problem
I can't fix, I can chose the mechanic, on the base of competence, price and
workload. There is no secret knowledge about the car that's available to the
mechanic only and that he is prohibited to tell me about. Yes I do expect him
to provide support indefinetely or for about 10-20 years, after an initial
warranty period of one year or more. Yes, I do ask my mechanic detailed
questions about my cars problems and the way he intends to solve them. If I
don't get satisfactory answers, I take it somewhere else. If he doesn't solve
the problems or if he charges an unreasonable amount of money for the fix, or
if he actually induces an other problem I am willing to take him into court,
where I can have independent experts testifying on my behalf. I have some
expertise with cars and I have some with Unix and computer hardware. A lot of
times with Unix I have been quite sure about the source of a problem and I
could and even would have fixed it myself, even if I think that it's not really
my responsability and that the vendor should have fixed it for me. Instead I am
confronted with fools and spend hours with them  before they realize, that I
got a problem they can't handle and call in the 'knowledgable' guys. With
software I might never get to talk to those guys and my messages might get to
them garbled beyond recognition. Even if they get there, they might ask me to
trade my '88 model X in for a '90 model X.1beta at $$$$ with sound conditioning
and recolorable seats even though the '88 model X needed only a change of sparc
plugs.
|> For the people who are running into
|> problems all the time, well, they should pay for the time they're using.

Actually I think it's the other way around. A software company that sells me
a faulty piece of software should pay for the time I lost tracking down and
reporting the problem as well as in some cases for consequential dammage.
Software companies that don't provide free bug fixes and don't listen to the
experts in the field shoot themselves in the foot *and* hurt a lot of innocent
people beside. It is they, who will spur increasing interest in the gospel of
Richard Stallman and the FSF and thus bring about the end of software mono-
polies and an end to profits never 'earned'.

|> This is known as capitalism.

Yes indeed, it is, even though the post industrial age might even make
good old capitalism obsolete...

|> --
|> Sean Eric Fagan  | "I made the universe, but please don't blame me for it;
|> sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."
|> -----------------+           -- The Turtle (Stephen King, _It_)
|> Any opinions expressed are my own, and generally unpopular with others.
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (01/04/91)

In article <1659@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
> . . . . ISC 2.0.1 (but i believe later versions have the same
>problem) decided (wrongly!) that my system would not support more
>than 1024 cylinders and would not let me access the last 200 cylinders.

This is false; ISC 2.0.1 supports disks with more than 1024 cylinders just
fine (I'm using all 1070 of mine, using a WD1006 controller).  The
partitioning program gives a bogus indication that there is a 1024
cylinder upper-bound, but if you ask it for more, it will give it to
you.

I even had to use ISC's formatter, since the WD1006 BIOS didn't format
above cyl #1023.  No problem.  I just pretended everything was OK, and
lo and behold, it was.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/04/91)

As quoted from <188@raysnec.UUCP> by shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake):
+---------------
| allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
|
| >MMDF is one of the things SCO did right.  I plan to bring it up on a number of
| >other systems --- it beats sendmail all hollow for ease of maintenance.  And
| >the fact that it can handle a pathalias file by itself is nice, too.
|
| 	Consider yourself one of the lucky ones. I've had a few frustrating
| years working with earlier and more recent versions of the package, and
+---------------

Let me correct that:  one of the first things I did was replace SCO's MMDF
with the distribution from louie.udel.edu, which was more recent.  It also got
me full documentation.

My experience is that MMDF is quite robust when treated correctly.  It *can*
be thrown out of whack by incorrect permissions... but that's what
/usr/mmdf/checkup (/usr/mmdf/bin/checkup under SCO UNIX) and /usr/mmdf/setup
(also in bin/ under SCO) are for.  Checkup gives reports and can fix things on
the fly; setup fixes up more things than checkup does, and is intended for
fixing up new installations.  Run setup after making major changes to
mmdftailor and checkup weekly, is my suggestion.  (And show me a tool for
sendmail that makes sure things will work!)

+---------------
| more reliable the box became. The last straw came one morning when I found
| 104 undelivered messages in the spool directory, but all the tools indicated
| an empty queue. I'll certainly check out the next version when ODT 1.1 comes
+---------------

I had this happen to me once as well... but when I ran checkque as root
instead of mmdf, I saw stuff in the queue.  Red flag... I immediately ran
checkup and it straightened out permissions for me.  And pointed out the only
bug I've found in MMDFIIb #43 to date:  you can't change the lock directory in
mmdftailor, it gets misread.  Since I've got the source, if it annoys me
enough I'll track it down and fix it.

+---------------
| 	As to pathaliasing, we found no way to use the existing paths file;
| rather we had to create an mmdf-specific variant of same. Given a 1 MB paths
| file, the variant came to more than 2 MB. We junked it.
+---------------

You have to build the MMDF database (using dbm) with it, which gets large.
But you'd be crazy not to use the dbm paths databases that smail and
sendmail+IDA use, and those get big as well.  Perhaps release #32 didn't use
the same format, but #43 looks an awful lot like the stuff I feed smail on our
SVR3.1 box....

MMDFIIb #32 was, admittedly, a mistake.  (And I'm told that SCO has put the
finishing touches on their own port of #43.  I hope they found and fixed the
bug with the lock directory.)  But MMDF itself is much easier to babysit than
sendmail, which I've been trying to maintain on ncoast for a few years.  That
SCO went with MMDF instead of sendmail is what I find commendable --- they
broke with what everyone else did (as usual) but there is a net gain in this
case because sendmail is widely known to be a pain in the *ss to maintain.
(Mind you, there are sendmail gurus out there who can read a sendmail.cf as if
it were English.  G*d alone knows how....)  And it's one h*ll of a lot better
than the "execmail" nonsense under Xenix (a poor, unconfigurable sendmail
clone).

++Brandon
--

As quoted from <1991Jan3.174300.968@sci34hub.sci.com> by gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston):
+---------------
| Folks, how about a vendor offering a training course (for a fee), the
| participants of which receive free or very low cost support. This
+---------------

"There is nothing new under the sun."  Plexus did something very much like
this for hardware support:  if you took their (3-day) training course for a
fee, they would let you sign onto their lower-cost parts exchange program.
For a fixed and relatively low cost per month, you could call at any time with
hardware problems and they'd just ship boards to you and let you put them in
and ship back the originals until the problem went away.  No labor charge, no
extra hourly charge for phone support, just the cost of the board(s).

Be nice to see this for software, though, I'll admit.  On the other hand, it
may be notable that Plexus is no more.  (On the *third* hand, they were the
last of the companies from the early Silicon Vally boom to disappear --- many
other computer companies from the same time period died much earlier.  (Second
last if you want to quibble about Acer buying Altos.  But do your quibbling
elsewhere, please.))

++Brandon
--

debra@wsinis03.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan4.025218.21453@rand.org> edhall@rand.org writes:
>This is false; ISC 2.0.1 supports disks with more than 1024 cylinders just
>fine (I'm using all 1070 of mine, using a WD1006 controller).  The
>partitioning program gives a bogus indication that there is a 1024
>cylinder upper-bound, but if you ask it for more, it will give it to
>you.

So how did you do it? I told it to use up to cylinder 1223 (the last one
on my disk) and ISC 2.0.1 complained and told me my system did not support
more than 1024 cylinders and it changed the last cylinder back to 1023.

I didn't give up that easily. I went back to AT&T sVr3.2 and partitioned
the disk so now I had the correct Unix partition. I interrupted the
AT&T installation, went back to ISC, and skipped the partitioning step
(since I already had a Unix partition). Shortly thereafter the system
promptly crashed (panic). For some reason 2.0.1 did not like my partition
that went up to cylinder 1223. (I have tried with a partition to 1023
and 2.0.1 did install.) Needless to say I trashed the 2.0.1 and went back
to AT&T Unix, which happily uses all cylinders up to 1223.

Maybe there is a problem because of the Adaptec 2322 controller?

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (01/04/91)

In article <1659@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
>In article <94408977@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
>>Anyway, memory is so damn cheap these days.  My only beef is that, for a
>>UNIX release packing so many additional files, SVR4/386 doesn't have better
>>support for huge ESDI disks.  It chafes to have to throw away 100MB of
>>my Maxtor just to keep upder 1024 cylinders.  I would like to see this
>>addressed in a future rev.
>
>The 1024 cylinder limitation is not an AT&T invention.
>Complain to your vendor.
>AT&T Unix sVr3.2 and sVr4.0 (at least the beta i have seen)
>have no problems with drives with more than 1024 cylinders,
>without the need for funny translation procedures.
>I have used a CDC Wren V (383H) with 1224 cylinders and an
>Adaptec 2322 controller with both versions of Unix and never had
>any problem. ISC 2.0.1 (but i believe later versions have the same
>problem) decided (wrongly!) that my system would not support more
>than 1024 cylinders and would not let me access the last 200 cylinders.

This is NOT so.

The system on which I just compose this article runs with a CDC Wren V
(383H), a WD 1007V-SE2 ESDI controller and ISC 2.2. and it ran with
ISC 2.0.2 until Oct. 1990. I can use ALL of the disk WITHOUT any funny
translation from the controller (which in fact would support this, but
I decided not to use it for several reasons).

There are a few things you should remember (note that fdisk-partitions
here refer to the partitions you create with `fdisk', while UNIX-partition
refer to the ones you - or the installation procedures - creates with
`mkpart'):

      - Be sure to physically format ALL of the disk before you install
	UNIX. Either the disk manufacturer supplies special software for
	that or you can use the formatter in the controller's firmware.
	(For the WD 1007V-SE2 you call this formatter from the DOS
	debug command with `G=CC00:5' but the location may also depend
	on some jumper settings of the controller.)

      - When you partition your disk with fdisk, the maximum number
	of cylinders you can specify is in fact 1023. This doesn't hurt
	as long as you place the fdisk-partition(s) you want to use
	with DOS first and the fdisk-partition you plan to use with
	UNIX has at least ~40 MByte within the first 1024 cylinders.

      - When the installation procedures of ISC ask you about the `real'
	disk size, give the CORRECT number here (or one less than that -
	I will not go into details but I have experienced problems when
	I tried to use the very last cylinder with ISC 2.0.2; the problems
	may be cured in 2.2 but I only specified 1222 cylinders for my
	disk when I installed 2.2, so I can't really say.)

      - Create the UNIX-partitions (ie. the SUB-partitions WITHIN the
	fdisk-partition you use for UNIX) so that the one which holds
	the root directory after booting (/dev/[r]dsk/0s1) does not
	extend behind cylinder 1023. (This is due to the limitation
	that the kernal is read in with the PC-BIOS after boot and the
	BIOS can not access parts of the disk behind cylinder 1023.
	Note that the chances are you may never have a problem even
	if you don't follow that recommendation - until, one day, you
	make a new kernal and it, or part of it, is accidentially
	placed behind the 1023th cylinder!).

      - The WD 1007V-SE2 (I know, not the controller in question, but
	the one I have the docs for) has several translation modes, and
	there are in fact TWO "non-translation" modes. But there is only
	one which lets you acces the disk behind cylinder 1024. The docs
	warn not to use this mode unless the disk has more than 1023
	cylinders and "...you are using a special driver or operating
	system..."%

Good luck.

%: I was in fact reluctant at first to use this mode, since I rather
consider MS-DOS a special operating system, while UNIX is the standard
for me :-)
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (01/05/91)

In article <1663@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@info.win.tue.nl writes:
>In article <1991Jan4.025218.21453@rand.org> edhall@rand.org writes:
>>This is false; ISC 2.0.1 supports disks with more than 1024 cylinders just
>>fine (I'm using all 1070 of mine, using a WD1006 controller).  The
>>partitioning program gives a bogus indication that there is a 1024
>>cylinder upper-bound, but if you ask it for more, it will give it to
>>you.
>
>So how did you do it? I told it to use up to cylinder 1223 (the last one
>on my disk) and ISC 2.0.1 complained and told me my system did not support
>more than 1024 cylinders and it changed the last cylinder back to 1023.

The problem is in their disk partitioning program, which not only prints
the bogus message saying you can't go above 1023, but also forces the
partition display to reduce the upper bound to 1023.  Just the same,
you get what you asked for.

This is as counter-intuitive as all hell--the only reason I even tried
it was that it was mentioned in a net posting a year or two back.  For
the average user who isn't going to be silly enough to ignore two warning
indications, 2.0.1 is as good as limited to 1024 cylinders.  The only
credit ISC gets from me on the matter is that they didn't manage to
break the rest of the system with regards to disks larger than 1024 cyls.

Be aware, however, that there are some disk controllers around that won't
go above cyl 1023.  Like I mentioned, the BIOS in my controller didn't
allow for it, although the controller itself did.

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (01/05/91)

In article <1659@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:
>any problem. ISC 2.0.1 (but i believe later versions have the same
>problem) decided (wrongly!) that my system would not support more
>than 1024 cylinders and would not let me access the last 200 cylinders.

I am not absolutely sure about ISC 2.0.1, but 2.0.2 is similar to this in
that the installation script will *tell* you that it is only letting you
use 1024 cylinders, but a footnote in the release notes tell you that
it is OK to specify the whole 1200 or whatever cylinders when making the
file systems.  The limitations are that you must format the drive using
some other program than the unix formatter, and the *root* file system
must fit entirely within the first 1024 cylinders.

Given that you already have a running system, my suggestion would be to
back up the last file system on the disk (or all of them if you are
paranoid), use mkpart to delete that file system.  Then edit /etc/partitions
to add the extra disk space to the last partition/filesystem defined.
Use mkpart to add the partition/filesystem, and initialize with mkfs, you
should be in business with the extra disk space.

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?

akcs.greg@ddsw1.MCS.COM (*Greg*) (01/06/91)

Really, alot of your answers lead me back to where I first began reading the
querry of Carson Wilson.  Reading about the responses that both ISC and SCO
have given to people, I'm inclined to go with Xenix!

8->

Make way for stable operating systems!  Or else!

In article <1659@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) writes:

| The 1024 cylinder limitation is not an AT&T invention.
| Complain to your vendor.

  I saw that problem in some form with Intel V.4 but not Dell V.4. I
can't quite make out what happened, and I did take notes, but I couldn't
get the 1224 to work until I went to Dell.

  However, I'm thinking seriously of going back long enough to get some
X stuff off either the Intel tape or the earlier Dell beta releases. The
X server Dell supplies with V.4 seems very robust, but it lost 800x600
when it went from the earlier betas to the last release, because if only
worked on the chips for which it was designed.

  Read between the lines. My interpretation is that so many beta testers
tried to use 800x600 on unsupported VGA boards that they pulled the
feature. And I can't blame them, but I still want higher resolution!!

In article <1991Jan3.174300.968@sci34hub.sci.com> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

| Folks, how about a vendor offering a training course (for a fee), the
| participants of which receive free or very low cost support. This
| training would be optional; anyone who doesn't want to pay for the
| training/support doesn't have to. This would eliminate a lot of
| the problems with people asking questions instead of reading TFM,
| but allows the already-experienced person a low purchase price.

  I have suggested many times that instead of 30 days support SCO offer
4 hours support any time within the first year. That way the people who
can't read would blow it on low level support (I bet the people who
answer the phone the first time are cheaper than the backup team so SCO
should like that) and the expert users could hoard the time for serious
problems.

  If a vendor was being really fair they would charge for time if it
turned out they had a bug!
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

aab@cichlid.com (Andy Burgess) (01/09/91)

In article <95@comix.UUCP> jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) writes:

>The answer to this problem is in front of your face.  The
>index should be on-line.  One should be able to type a keyword
>and some database should belch the document name, current
>version, and page references.  My illusions are a hypertext
>like indexer with context sensitive suggestions.  The final
>output should be either a man page or a manual page reference.

Sun OS has something similar to this. man -k <subject> returns a list
of manual entries that contain <subject> in their description.
Not perfect but very handy sometimes. I'll bet this is in sysvr4...

Andy

--
Andy Burgess
Independent Consultant

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/09/91)

Re "support".  In the software business, "support" includes a number of
different things:  fixing existing bugs;  adding new features;
hand-holding users through installation;  helping them figure out the
documentation;  helping them figure out how to do undocumented things;
etc.

I can see asking users to pay for all of the above *except* fixing
existing bugs.  I see no justification for selling a buggy product and
then refusing to fix the bugs without collecting more money.  The price
of the product should include the overhead of future bug fixes.

This is not as costly as it sounds.  If the software is properly
written, there will be very few bugs in the production release.
Software doesn't last very long -- maybe two or three years at most.
The technology is changing too quickly.  Sure any vendor with a decent
product who isn't undercapitalized can afford to fix bugs for two
years.
--
History never         |   Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
becomes obsolete.     |   UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

In <95@comix.UUCP> jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) writes:

>The answer to this problem is in front of your face.  The
>index should be on-line.  One should be able to type a keyword
>and some database should belch the document name, current
>version, and page references.

Ah, for standard UNIX tools:

     cd /usr/man
     egrep 'bunch|of|things|to|look|for' */*

This is partly why I give BSD and SunOS much higher marks than System
V.  Although BSD's printed manual pages are only slightly better than
those of System V, the fact that they are online and can be searched
easily makes them much more useful.  Alas, I hear that newer BSD's
won't have the online documentation (I hope this is a vicious and false
rumor).

The System V philosphy, of making documentation available only in
printed form, and then having almost every page numbered 1 or 2, is
very silly.  I can understand this if the printed manuals are simply
copies of the online manuals and mimic their individual page
numbering.  But if the printed manuals are the only documentation, then
AT&T should at least get the page numbering right.  Pages are numbered
beginning from 1, and then you continue with 2, 3, 4, etc., until you
run out of pages.  Then you add an index, and the index refers you
to specific pages.
--
History never         |   Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
becomes obsolete.     |   UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

khai@adi.com (S. Khai Mong) (01/10/91)

In article <52585@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

   It's very expensive for a vendor to offer the man pages on line, but
   it's also pretty popular with end users.

Why should it be very expensive?  Is it the cost of cutting the tape?
Surely the man pages are quite a smaller fraction of the whole
release.  It would have been more costly to include the printed pages
in the package.
--
Sao Khai Mong:   Applied Dynamics, 3800 Stone School Road, Ann Arbor, Mi48108
(313)973-1300    (uunet|sharkey)!amara!khai   khai@adi.com

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (01/11/91)

In article <KHAI.91Jan10082730@snapper.adi.com> khai@adi.com (S. Khai Mong) writes:
|In article <52585@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
|
|   It's very expensive for a vendor to offer the man pages on line, but
|   it's also pretty popular with end users.
|
|Why should it be very expensive?

Licence fees to AT&T.

--
J.T. Conklin	jtc@wimsey.bc.ca, ...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/12/91)

Please note that i'm not arguing against you because i disagree but, rather,
because i'm playing devil's advocate here...

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>This is not as costly as it sounds.  If the software is properly
>written, there will be very few bugs in the production release.
>Software doesn't last very long -- maybe two or three years at most.
>The technology is changing too quickly.  Sure any vendor with a decent
>product who isn't undercapitalized can afford to fix bugs for two
>years.

But, if the ephemeralness of a software product is recognised by the bean
counters and/or the managers, they will most likely be less than enthusiastic
about fixing bugs, especially non-critical ones, i.e., can't boot.  For
example, by analogy, if you know that your car will be replaced with a new one
in two years (or perhaps even that your type of car (gasoline, etc) will be
obsolete in that time frame), you will probably be reluctant to spend $1000 on
a new paint job to fix that rusted body or to get those rips repaired in the
upholstery.

The human species seems to be pretty adept at procrastination and pushing the
"just getting by" envelope.
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/12/91)

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

>In <95@comix.UUCP> jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) writes:

>Alas, I hear that newer BSD's
>won't have the online documentation (I hope this is a vicious and false
>rumor).

It seems to me that the trend is towards providing on-line man pages on a CDrom
platter.
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need
your advice.  -- "I am the way and the truth and the light" -- The Legendary Pink Dots

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/13/91)

On 10 Jan 91 19:58:22 GMT, jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) said:

jtc> In article <KHAI.91Jan10082730@snapper.adi.com> khai@adi.com (S.
jtc> Khai Mong) writes:

khai> In article <52585@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org
khai> (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

james> It's very expensive for a vendor to offer the man pages on line,
james> but it's also pretty popular with end users.

khai> Why should it be very expensive?

jtc> Licence fees to AT&T.

The reason for their being so high is A&T's relationship to Prentice
Hall.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) (01/14/91)

In article <2862@cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In <95@comix.UUCP> jeffl@comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) writes:
>
> >The answer to this problem is in front of your face.  The
> >index should be on-line.  One should be able to type a keyword
> >and some database should belch the document name, current
> >version, and page references.
>
> Ah, for standard UNIX tools:
>      cd /usr/man
>      egrep 'bunch|of|things|to|look|for' */*

This command is useful only if you know what to look for.
What I'm proposing is something useful to users as well as
experienced programmers.  One starts with a basic concept
(backing up, file manipulations, error analysis, mail,
communications, ad nausium) and yields a book and page number.
System and application updates should include index entries
to their release notes.  Note that I did NOT suggest that it
be used as an entry point into the online man pages.  There
are no online copies of the System Administrators Guide, Users
Guide, Users Tutorial, various release notes, updates, and
the sosco stuff (Ref: SCO Unix 3.2.2).  There may never be.
The online man pages are incomplete.

(Dull red glow before the flame.....)
What is entertaining to me is the resistance that I've generated
over this simple idea.  I've proposed an online page index to
6 local software companies.  4 of these sell databases.  I suggested
that the "demo" program supplied the with these databases be
an index to their documentation.  All 5 ignored or turned down
the idea.  I was recently involved in editing a Unix book.  I
suggested an online index to the book available by a mail-in
card or bbs download.  This one also went nowhere.

(IMHO), I think that the reason it's not being done is that no
other company is doing it.  No one (I've talked to) seems to
want to risk their job on an untried idea or considers it
sufficiently important to supply with their products.
Hypertext and context sensitive help is all over the DOS
and MacOS world, but not in UnixLand.  So I leave it to the
smaller companies to impliment so the industry leaders can
clone in safety.

--

mike@bria.UUCP (Michael Stefanik) (01/14/91)

In article <97@comix.UUCP> comix.UUCP!jeffl (Jeff Liebermann) writes:
:(IMHO), I think that the reason it's not being done is that no
:other company is doing it.  No one (I've talked to) seems to
:want to risk their job on an untried idea or considers it
:sufficiently important to supply with their products.
:Hypertext and context sensitive help is all over the DOS
:and MacOS world, but not in UnixLand.  So I leave it to the
:smaller companies to impliment so the industry leaders can
:clone in safety.

Uhh, what about AIX 3.1 "Golden" InfoExplorer that does provide manual
references, on-line text, context sensitive searching and hypertext links?
(And that's just the half of it ...)
--
Michael Stefanik, Systems Engineer (JOAT), Briareus Corporation
UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

gary@ke4zv.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (01/17/91)

In article <27888cf2-8ae.5comp.unix.i386-1@point.UUCP> wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
>>Reading about the responses that both ISC and SCO
>>have given to people, I'm inclined to go with Xenix!
>
>Shoot, why not go with CP/M?  It's very stable these days, and the hardware
>is certainly cheaper.

Single user response time is a lot better too. On a 8 Mhz Z80H Wordstar really
flies!

Gary