[comp.unix.sysv386] ESIX compress

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan6.225758.27472@portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@elaine10.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) writes:
>So now I use GNU compress/uncompress/zcat and junked ESIX' originals.

When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
compress that came with news software.  Compressed news batches
didn't work.  It turns out that "compress -d", which is used by news
software to uncompress batches, does not work with the ESIX-supplied
compress.  "compress -d < file.Z" just echoes file.Z to the standard
output.  This becomes even more of a problem when installing C news,
since it runs compress from the path, rather than from /usr/lib/news.
So, I renamed /usr/bin/compress to ocompress, and let C news find a
working compress in my local/bin directory.  But I got burned again
when I went to install the X Window software.  It's compressed, and
expects to find /usr/bin/compress to install, and you don't get any
errors until all of the disks have been copied in...
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
[details deleted]

I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp    Public Access Unix - Esix SYSVR3

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602@unixland.uucp> Bill Heiser writes:
>I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
>"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

That's the best thing to do.  Just remember to replace it if you upgrade
the system or reload the OS for any reason.  I have been bitten by this
a few times.

BTW - HEY EVEREX!!! How about tossing your current version of compress and
using the one from the net?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

  When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
  copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
  compress that came with news software.  Compressed news batches
  didn't work.  It turns out that "compress -d", which is used by news
  software to uncompress batches, does not work with the ESIX-supplied
  compress.

At times when I see these article I chortle. Have you tried 'uncompress'?
have you tried 'compress -u'? Have you RTFM?

Bah. A little more alertness would help a lot in these cases...
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>[details deleted]
>I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
>"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

Well..... you could have changed the C-news script to use uncompress,
that is what I did.
I don't what should be a standard for unix compress but AT&T with the 4.0
source did not support the -d option also. I guess something will have to
change, AT&T or these public domain programs.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/10/91)

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>In article <1991Jan6.225758.27472@portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@elaine10.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) writes:
>>So now I use GNU compress/uncompress/zcat and junked ESIX' originals.

>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>compress that came with news software.  Compressed news batches
>didn't work.  It turns out that "compress -d", which is used by news
>software to uncompress batches, does not work with the ESIX-supplied
>compress.

Yes, this is true.  I had to use a public domain compress to get news
unbatching to work in Cnews.  Very strange; one would have thought that it
would have been tested...?
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG - MNFHA, NCS - UMN Women's Lax, MWD
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need

jtc@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (J.T. Conklin) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Jan7.154351.16652@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>When I first installed B news on my ESIX system several months ago, I
>>copied /usr/bin/compress to /usr/lib/news, rather than compiling the
>
>I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
>"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

Since ESIX's compress' use of -u, and REAL compress' use of -d, don't
conflict, it seems the best method rationalizing the situation is to
hack the compress source so it recognizes both flags.  That way, both
net.software and ESIX installation disks should continue to work.

--
J.T. Conklin	jtc@wimsey.bc.ca, ...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc

In article <2202@aber-cs.UUCP> pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>At times when I see these article I chortle. Have you tried 'uncompress'?
>have you tried 'compress -u'? Have you RTFM?

In this case, RTFM'ing wouldn't help, as compress -u isn't documented.

--

In article <1991Jan9.211306.25217@everex.uucp> jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) writes:
>I don't what should be a standard for unix compress but AT&T with the 4.0
>source did not support the -d option also. I guess something will have to
>change, AT&T or these public domain programs.

The fact that AT&T broke compress does not absolve ESIX from not
fixing it.

--
J.T. Conklin	jtc@wimsey.bc.ca, ...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!jtc

cmurcko@gvlf8-g.GVL.Unisys.COM (Chuck Murcko) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.181750.17491@druid.uucp>, darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
|> In article <1991Jan8.222044.9602@unixland.uucp> Bill Heiser writes:
|> >I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
|> >"working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...
|>
|> That's the best thing to do.  Just remember to replace it if you upgrade
|> the system or reload the OS for any reason.  I have been bitten by this
|> a few times.
|>
|> BTW - HEY EVEREX!!! How about tossing your current version of compress and
|> using the one from the net?
|>
|> --
|> D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
|> D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government
|> West Hill, Ontario, Canada         |   like no government!
|> +1 416 281 6094                    |

It IS the one from the net. It's just built without the DEBUG flag.

Chuck

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (01/12/91)

In <1991Jan9.211306.25217@everex.uucp>, jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) wrote:

| I just threw the Esix 'compress' in the dumper and installed another
| "working" compress in its place.  So far, so good...

> I don't what should be a standard for unix compress but AT&T with the 4.0
> source did not support the -d option also. I guess something will have to
> change, AT&T or these public domain programs.

If by 4.0 you mean SysVr4, my /usr/bin/compress does support the -d
option...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

cmurcko@gvlf8-g.gvl.unisys.com (Chuck Murcko) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.061409.4396@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>>It IS the one from the net. It's just built without the DEBUG flag.
>
>In the sources I have, the DEBUG flag enables -D, not -d.
>
>And here's the usage message from the ESIX compress:
>
>$ compress -x
>Unknown flag: 'x'; Usage: compress [-dfvcuV] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
>
>It shows -d as a valid option, yet it doesn't work...
>--
>John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

In the MIT X Windows distribution, the DEBUG flag turns on the -d AND -D
flags. Maybe ESIX blew the compile, maybe not. Maybe they edited the source.
My advice is to take the advice of the rest of the folks on the net and
either edit the cnews scripts to use uncompress or build your own from source
with DEBUG enabled and replace the ones from ESIX.

Chuck

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan11.001235.6787@news.gvl.unisys.com> cmurcko@gvlf8-g.GVL.Unisys.COM (Chuck Murcko) writes:
=
=It IS the one from the net. It's just built without the DEBUG flag.

The one from the net is V4.3d.  The DEBUG flag and the "d' option are
not related.

Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (01/15/91)

In article <52718@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>In <1991Jan9.211306.25217@everex.uucp>, jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) wrote:
>> I don't what should be a standard for unix compress but AT&T with the 4.0
>> source did not support the -d option also. I guess something will have to
>> change, AT&T or these public domain programs.
>
>If by 4.0 you mean SysVr4, my /usr/bin/compress does support the -d
>option...

Well you are right.... in the upcomming Esix SysVr4 compress has only docs
and usage for "usage : compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file ....]" but when
you try compress -d it does a uncomress to stdout.

--

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan10.082959.18602@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> Derek E. Terveer writes:
>>didn't work.  It turns out that "compress -d", which is used by news
>>software to uncompress batches, does not work with the ESIX-supplied
>>compress.
>
>Yes, this is true.  I had to use a public domain compress to get news
>unbatching to work in Cnews.  Very strange; one would have thought that it
>would have been tested...?

Both C News and and Esix' compress work.  The problem is in the way they
work together.  C News pipes the output of "compress -d" into a shell
variable and tests that variable for zero length.  It assumes that compress
like all good Unix programs, keeps quiet when everything is OK.  This
is usually true but the Esix version prints a message telling the user that
it was successful.  It is this success message that C News chokes on.  In
C News, no news is good news and any news is bad news and news of success
is news to C News.

Since I paid for Esix and C News was free I argue with Everex that their
code is wrong, not Henry's.  However I have suggested to Henry that a
change from "compress -d" to "uncompress" (which does work, even though
it uses the same binary) is a cheap fix to a nagging problem but I
understand his reluctance to fix the OS in his application.  It just
ain't the right way to do it.