From: bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield)
Newsgroups: comp.os.mach,mst.general
Subject: binary Mach distribution for 386
Date: 26 Dec 90 22:23:13 GMT
Sender: usenet@MorningStar.COM (USENET Administrator)

I received a postcard in the mail today from MtXinu, announcing that
in late January, they'll begin shipping a binary distribution of Mach
for AT-bus 386 machines.  This will include the 4.3BSD emulator, but
no ATT or BSD source license will be required to acquire the binary
distribution.  Distribution options will include (a) the base system,
(b) networking, (c) X, and (d) on-line documents.  They'll have more
literature available in mid-Janary, including required and supported
devices, etc.  What's more, they'll have special show prices at
Uniforum in Dallas, Jan 22-24.

I have no connection with MtXinu, except as an excited anticipant.
Hmmm, what's the going rate on a 386 laptop?

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) (01/04/91)

In article <13963@uswat.UUCP> naim@uswat.uswest.com (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>Just saw this note on comp.os.mach and thought that people here would be
>interested.
>>I received a postcard in the mail today from MtXinu, announcing that
>>in late January, they'll begin shipping a binary distribution of Mach
>>for AT-bus 386 machines.

I received the same card and made a brief enquiry. I was told that there
is no SCSI support (yet?). Also, there is apparently no binary compatability
support (ABI?) for System V.3. (after all, I believe
we are talking about BSD emulation). If this is correct, you won't
have the same flexibility in buying binary-only applications, most
of which are V.3 SCO/ISC.

-----
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz@world.std.com / kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com
Contracting at Bull, but not alleging any representation of their philosophy.

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.140341.11874@granite.cr.bull.com> kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:
>I received the same card and made a brief enquiry. I was told that there
>is no SCSI support (yet?). Also, there is apparently no binary compatability
>support (ABI?) for System V.3. (after all, I believe
>we are talking about BSD emulation). If this is correct, you won't
>have the same flexibility in buying binary-only applications, most
>of which are V.3 SCO/ISC.

All of the above is true. Our customers have traditionally been
engineering/software types - technically sophisticated and interested
in the technology itself.  We envision our potential customer base for
the Mach binary product to be very much the same - software development
houses who want to start getting involved with Mach and OSF/1 early,
people who want interesting technology for their home machines, users
who specifically want a BSD system interface, and so on.  We are not
in competition with SCO, ISC, or the other vendors of small Unix
systems - what we're selling is completely different, and not really
suitable for use as a black box to stick a database or word processor
on.  The executable format is almost identical to BSD a.out, and we
haven't considered adding ABI support.  That's not to say we never
will, but if we do it won't be for a very, very long time.
--
               Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore                                 shore@mtxinu.com

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/05/91)

kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:
>Also, there is apparently no binary compatability
>support (ABI?) for System V.3.

nothing stops us from emulating that too.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan05.021138.17495@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:
>>Also, there is apparently no binary compatability
>>support (ABI?) for System V.3.
>
>nothing stops us from emulating that too.

This distribution is based on Mach 2.5, which has a monolithic kernel.
Filtering before execution might be a possibility, but Mach doesn't
support execution out of multiple 386 segments.
--

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/07/91)

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:

>In article <1991Jan05.021138.17495@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> I wrote:
>>kittlitz@granite.cr.bull.com (Edward N. Kittlitz) writes:
>>>Also, there is apparently no binary compatability
>>>support (ABI?) for System V.3.
>>
>>nothing stops us from emulating that too.

>This distribution is based on Mach 2.5, which has a monolithic kernel.
>Filtering before execution might be a possibility, but Mach doesn't
>support execution out of multiple 386 segments.

what a pitty, will Mach 3.0 have the main "kernel" components (except
the message passing et al) in seperate processes? i always considered
this one of the main advantages. btw: the uni i'm at has a message
passing system called AX, that 'knows' ms-dos, qnx and sorta sys v.
--

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan07.152536.28530@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>what a pitty, will Mach 3.0 have the main "kernel" components (except
>the message passing et al) in seperate processes?

Yes, version 3.0 is the first "kernelized" version.  It's running
with a BSD single server, but really isn't ready for commercial
release, especially not into the 386 market.

>i always considered
>this one of the main advantages.

I don't.  The idea is nice, but it's generally pretty slow to run on
top of a micro-kernel (Chorus is an exception).  You pay in the form
of more context switching and more data movement.  A lot of the
performance problems have been worked out of 3.0, but there's still
some work to be done.  The *real* advantage of Mach is the abstractions
that it provides the programmer.
--

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/11/91)

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:
>In article <1991Jan07.152536.28530@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> I wrote:
>>i always considered
>>this [the micro-kernel] one of the main advantages.

>I don't.  The idea is nice, but it's generally pretty slow to run on
>top of a micro-kernel (Chorus is an exception).  You pay in the form
>of more context switching and more data movement.  A lot of the
>performance problems have been worked out of 3.0, but there's still
>some work to be done.  The *real* advantage of Mach is the abstractions
>that it provides the programmer.

well, it's certainly much slower if you always have to relink that
damn huge monolithic kernel and reboot if you changed something in the
serial driver :-)

i think all those intelligent peripherals, like scsi host adapters, multiport
and ethernet cards, with their own processors and RAM can help a lot with
these performance problems. Given the possibilty to write and test drivers
without relinking the kernel etc., i expect/hope to see quite nice mach 3.0
machines pretty soon.
--

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.200913.15652@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>That's actually less surprising in the 386 world.  Context switches on the
>386 (assuming a full switch--a TSS change via call gate) are relatively
>expensive, and interrupts are even worse because of the MM of dealing with
>the PICs.  Open question (I suspect): Is Mach 3.0 a bad match to the 386
>(based on context-switch frequency and cost)?

Whether or not it's a bad match is somewhat moot - much of the 3.0
development is being done on 386 machines, and Rick has a Toshiba
laptop he seems always to have with him that's running 3.0.  One
advantage, I think, of this is that it encourages the folks at CMU
to pay particular attention to performance issues.

>When does OSF plan to move to the 3.0 kernel?

This is probably best left to the OSF to answer (their direction
shifts frequently, especially within the RI), but I haven't seen
any of them lurking in these parts.  The last official story I heard
was that they are not committed to moving to a 3.0 kernel,
and are looking at other interesting operating systems as well to
be used as a possible kernel for OSF/2.  They are, however, putting
significant effort into 3.0 development, and are driving some of the
design decisions.  In fact, they're sponsoring a 3.0 design review
meeting next month.
--

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (01/13/91)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:

>> ...Also, you'd be surprised at how much
>> context switching can affect performance...

>That's actually less surprising in the 386 world.  Context switches on the
>386 (assuming a full switch--a TSS change via call gate) are relatively
>expensive, and interrupts are even worse because of the MM of dealing with
>the PICs.  Open question (I suspect): Is Mach 3.0 a bad match to the 386
>(based on context-switch frequency and cost)?

Well, there a few problems with standard UNIX on the 386 that
might go away with Mach:

	1) UNIX re-uses the same kernel addresses for different processes.
	This forces UNIX to toss the page table cache during context
	switches, >when an operating system shouldn't have to<.  I
	don't believe the standard figure of 98% page table cache hits
	for these systems.  Are there any hard studies of real code
	executing?

	2) UNIX still uses the PDP-11 interrupt hierarchy model.  The
	386 PIC code implements a faithful and extremely expensive
	emulation of this model.

	Philips (Dutch) wrote a window manager for terminals as a
	Streams multiplexor.  They found that 20% of the CPU time,
	measured by a logic analyser, was spent in the interrupt
	management code.  It would be quite easy to replace the
	hardware interrupt hierarchy with a software-based scheme
	where the only interrupt management is done with the
	enable/disable op codes.

	3) Use 4K blocks and fiddle page tables instead of copying
	data around.  The RAM situation that forced 1K blocks is
	over.  (If Intel still sold the DRAM chips they invented,
	it would have been 4K blocks from the beginning.)

Note to Benny: Any 386 UNIX port that uses the above tricks will
leave the current crop in the dust.

Lance

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/16/91)

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) writes:

>In article <1991Jan10.163048.20613@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>>i think all those intelligent peripherals, like scsi host adapters, multiport
>>and ethernet cards, with their own processors and RAM can help a lot with
>>these performance problems.

>For example, when E&S
>was bringing Mach up on their ill-fated supercomputer, they found
>that they were only getting 500K throughput on a 10 megabit ethernet.
>The problem turned out to be that the folks at CMU had replaced
>the software interrupt mechanism for moving packets into the protocol
>layer with a kernel thread.  The network code, of course, was
>pre-tahoe BSD, so they should have been seeing about 1.5 megabits.
>You all can do the arithmetic.

that's why i mentioned the intelligent peripherals. it's necessary
to offload the network code to the interface anyway. for example, with host
based tcp/ip over 100Mbit FDDI you get about 20Mbit/s max throughput.
if you use the FDDI- and TCP/IP-chips you get about 70Mbit/s.
i think that clearly shows the way to go.

>And,
>if you want to see Mach 3.0 any time in the near future, I would
>suggest looking into getting an AT&T source license.

just a little bit too expensive...
--

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan15.182524.14868@scuzzy.in-berlin.de>, src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
> that's why i mentioned the intelligent peripherals. it's necessary
> to offload the network code to the interface anyway. for example, with host
> based tcp/ip over 100Mbit FDDI you get about 20Mbit/s max throughput.
> if you use the FDDI- and TCP/IP-chips you get about 70Mbit/s.
> i think that clearly shows the way to go.

I've kept my daytime employer convinced of several contrary statements.
One is that my code does much more than 20Mbit/sec TCP/IP/FDDI while doing
no more than the link layer on the board, and that this is not an
accident.  Another is that the fact that smarter ethernet boards are
slower on this series of systems is not due to our group's stupidity.

There was an FDDI board vendor claimed 80Mbit/sec at InterOP 89.  More
recent, real benchmarks offered to try to sell us the same board were
closer to 15 Mbit.  The highest honest TCP/IP/FDDI numbers I have heard in
the halls around X3T9.5 meetings and via industry gossip of "secret"
projects are ~40Mbit/sec.  (Please infer nothing about my forthcoming
efforts.)  I will be in your debt if you point out announcements of numbers
larger than 30Mbit.  80Mbit is easy if you continual blast the same
packets.  TCP/IP delivered to application processes is harder.

I do not know of any "TCP/IP chips", although I know about PEI and XTP.
To what are you referring?

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@calcite.uucp