[comp.unix.sysv386] Looking for a syslog that works in SysV3.2 land...

cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) (01/20/91)

I am also looking for a "syslog-like" logging facility for SysV3.2 land that
includes source.

I am looking for most of the functionality of syslog but even something
close would be good.

Thanks,
gray
cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu

vjs@calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) (01/20/91)

In article <81376@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) writes:
> I am also looking for a "syslog-like" logging facility for SysV3.2 land that
> includes source.

It's easy to port the 4.3BSD syslog library and syslogd to SVR3.  Simply
replace the BSD ipc with a named pipe.  The major disadvantages of this
scheme is that you can't send log messages accross wires, and it's rather
inconvenient to log kernel messages.  One of the top 5 workstation vendors
has shipping such an implementation for about 4.5 years.  The 4.3BSD syslog
source should be available on uunet.

Using the toy STREAMS log mechanism in the SVR3.0 source might be an easier
IPC for kernel error logging.

Vernon Schryver,   vjs@calcite.uucp

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/22/91)

cgwst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) writes:

>I am also looking for a "syslog-like" logging facility for SysV3.2 land that
>includes source.

	HDB UUCP keeps statistics comparable to those held in SYSLOG in
xferstats (under /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin). If you want a tool to *analyze*
that data (as uusub used to do), try uureport or uutraffic. I prefer
uureport, and can provide source.

uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech