[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC 2.2 q/ TCP 1.2.0 questions/problems

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) (01/14/91)

I have a couple of questions/problems.
Hard-Config: AMI MarkIII, 8mb, 2 ESDI disk/wd1007, Slip link to a 3b1
running KA9Q tcp/ip.(sl and lo interface only).
Soft-Config: ISC 2.2, TCP 1.2

1st Item:
When a non-root user tries to do a ping on any host(local or remote)
I get an error "ping: socket: Permission denied"

When a non-root user tries to do a rlogin to any host I get an error
"rcmd: Open: Permission denied"

Both commands works fine for root and telnet works fine for both
root or non-root users.

2nd Item:
Is it possible for root login on non-console devices?

3rd Item:
sendmail seems to have a number of problems..Has anyone
compiled smail3.1.16 for ISC so that it will listen to
the smtp socket.. I have a non-socket version running now.
Is there a working version of sendmail that will work?

--
Gary W. Sanders (gws@n8emr or ...!osu-cis!n8emr!gws), 72277,1325
N8EMR @ W8CQK (ip addr) 44.70.0.1 [Ohio AMPR address coordinator]

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (01/15/91)

In article <1990@n8emr.UUCP> gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) writes:

>I have a couple of questions/problems.
>Hard-Config: AMI MarkIII, 8mb, 2 ESDI disk/wd1007, Slip link to a 3b1
>running KA9Q tcp/ip.(sl and lo interface only).
>Soft-Config: ISC 2.2, TCP 1.2
.
.
.
>2nd Item:
>Is it possible for root login on non-console devices?

Change the file /etc/default/login.

This file has a line CONSOLE=/dev/console. Comment it out by putting a
# in front of it. This directory is a non-ATT thing that Xenix invented, and
ISC uses for lots of cute things (tar is another example)

David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb
voice: (818) 587-1247

benson@odi.com (Benson I. Margulies) (01/16/91)

/etc/default/login is part of V.4.
--
Benson I. Margulies

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (01/22/91)

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders) writes:

|I have a couple of questions/problems.
|Hard-Config: AMI MarkIII, 8mb, 2 ESDI disk/wd1007, Slip link to a 3b1
|running KA9Q tcp/ip.(sl and lo interface only).
|Soft-Config: ISC 2.2, TCP 1.2

|3rd Item:
|sendmail seems to have a number of problems..Has anyone
|compiled smail3.1.16 for ISC so that it will listen to
|the smtp socket.. I have a non-socket version running now.
|Is there a working version of sendmail that will work?

I'm building smail 3.1.19 for ISC 2.2 right now.  I'll keep you posted on
my progress.  Porting to this OS is NOT trivial.

>--
>Gary W. Sanders (gws@n8emr or ...!osu-cis!n8emr!gws), 72277,1325
>N8EMR @ W8CQK (ip addr) 44.70.0.1 [Ohio AMPR address coordinator]
>HAM BBS (1200/2400/9600/V.32/PEP/MNP=L5) 614-895-2553
>Voice: 614-895-2552 (eves/weekends)
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@stiatl.uucp 841-4169      \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/22/91)

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:

>I'm building smail 3.1.19 for ISC 2.2 right now.  I'll keep you posted on
>my progress.  Porting to this OS is NOT trivial.

Hmm?  I have smail3 from uunet (even though it says smail3.19 is
is actually smail3.18) and it compiles fine (no porting required)
under Interactive Unix..

As a matter of fact, I've installed it on 3 different machines - without
the need to change a single line of code..

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) (01/24/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:

>>I'm building smail 3.1.19 for ISC 2.2 right now.  I'll keep you posted on
>>my progress.  Porting to this OS is NOT trivial.

>Hmm?  I have smail3 from uunet (even though it says smail3.19 is
>is actually smail3.18) and it compiles fine (no porting required)
>under Interactive Unix..

>As a matter of fact, I've installed it on 3 different machines - without
>the need to change a single line of code..

What I was referring to was getting the Bezerkely/SYSV mixture configured.
All the default setups work fine.  If you want to use Bezerkely features
under SYSV you have to go mangle the config stuff down in os/config.  For
the folks like us who aren't very familiar with sendmail and network jargon
it's not trivial.

Like I said, it's not trivial.   But it's not really difficult, either.
The problem was the time wasted just figuring out what had to be done to
get it past the compiler the way you want it built.  I haven't done any
testing on what I was able to compile, but I did get SMTP support compiled.

Cheers!
--

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/24/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Hmm?  I have smail3 from uunet (even though it says smail3.19 is
>is actually smail3.18) and it compiles fine (no porting required)
>under Interactive Unix..

<grin>, i think the authors will never do that again:
it *is* 3.1.19, only the documentation changed since 3.1.18,
the code is the same.
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (01/24/91)

In article <323@stiatl.UUCP> bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>>bgi@stiatl.UUCP (Brad Isley) writes:
>
>>>I'm building smail 3.1.19 for ISC 2.2 right now.  I'll keep you posted on
>>>my progress.  Porting to this OS is NOT trivial.
>
>>Hmm?  I have smail3 from uunet (even though it says smail3.19 is
>>is actually smail3.18) and it compiles fine (no porting required)
>>under Interactive Unix..
>
>>As a matter of fact, I've installed it on 3 different machines - without
>>the need to change a single line of code..
>
>What I was referring to was getting the Bezerkely/SYSV mixture configured.
>All the default setups work fine.  If you want to use Bezerkely features
>under SYSV you have to go mangle the config stuff down in os/config.  For
>the folks like us who aren't very familiar with sendmail and network jargon
>it's not trivial.
>
>Like I said, it's not trivial.   But it's not really difficult, either.
>The problem was the time wasted just figuring out what had to be done to
>get it past the compiler the way you want it built.  I haven't done any
>testing on what I was able to compile, but I did get SMTP support compiled.
>
>Cheers!
>--
>-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
> bgi@stiatl.uucp 841-4169      \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |
>          OR                        \ Klein bottle for sale- Inquire within /
> brad@slammer.UUCP 925-9663           Brad Isley,  Sales Technologies, Inc.

Hmm...All I did was to use the bsd networking choice and had no
problem.  I am using ISC 2.2.0 and am more pleased than anything.  I
hate a cryptic control file.

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil