[comp.unix.sysv386] Unix/Novell interface

david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) (12/30/90)

It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
interest out there in doing this sort of things.

David Friedlander

berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) (12/31/90)

david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:

>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
>summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
>copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
>interest out there in doing this sort of things.

  Hmmm, if you get any direct info, could you forward me a copy? Thanx.

  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,

brian@edat.UUCP (brian douglass personal account) (01/01/91)

In article <1013@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:
>
>>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
>>summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
>>copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
>>interest out there in doing this sort of things.
>
>  Hmmm, if you get any direct info, could you forward me a copy? Thanx.

At a recent show-n-tell here in Las Vegas by Compaq and Novell,
the Novell rep said they and SCO would be releasing a product in
January.  Probably at Uniforum in Dallas, Jan 22-24.

Altos computers, running an enhanced SCO Unix OpenDesktop claims
to already have Novell running.

Good Luck.

Brian Douglass			Voice: 702-361-1510 X311
Electronic Data Technologies	FAX #: 702-361-2545
1085 Palms Airport Drive	brian@edat.uucp
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715
--
Brian Douglass			brian@edat.uucp

support@bomber.ism.isc.com (Support Account) (01/03/91)

>david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:
>>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a

Interactive Systems Corporation has a new product
called Interactive Ported NetWare, developed in
conjunction with Novell, which links computers
running Interactive Unix with Novell Portable
NetWare networks.

Interactive Ported NetWare has the look and feel
of native NetWare, supports all standard NetWare
utilities, and is integrated with all Interactive
extensions such as Interactive TCP/IP and NFS.

For more information on this and other Interactive
products call Interactive's telemarketing group
at 1-800 346 7111, or your distributor.

petri@digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) (01/11/91)

In article <1990Dec30.060426.18251@ctr.columbia.edu> david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:
>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
>summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
>copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
>interest out there in doing this sort of things.
>
>David Friedlander

 There is product called INTERACTIVE Ported NetWare, it is NetWare 3.0
 that runs top of interactive UNIX. I heve been running it about one month.

 Petri Alhola
 petri@digiw.fi

ggvvgg@mixcom.UUCP (Dave Fenske) (01/11/91)

There are other solutions as well.  Axcess from Atlantix is a software
package which can handle Novell/Unix integration.  I believe it was
recently named product of the year in the interoperability category
by LAN magazine.

Also, Interlan has a TCP/ip gateway for Novell.

DF

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (01/11/91)

It seems to me there is some confusion about what is meant by "Unix/Novell
interface".

	"Let me log into my unix machine using a terminal emulator on my
	 Novell Network supported PC".  I Believe this is what the Interlan
	 gateway product does.

	"Let me runDOS/Unix integration software like telnet client and NFS
	 client on my Novell Network supported PC without haveing to reboot/
     reconfigure".  This is what the Clarkson Packet Driver stuff gets
	 you.

	"Give me unix software to make my Unix host look like a Novell
	 server to my PCs".  This is Portable Netware.

	One that has no solution is "Give me a way to make my NFS server look
	like a Novell Server to my Novell client PCs".  Don't laugh; This is
	what a GatorBox with GatorShare does for Apple FileShare/NFS.

Anyways, my point is, whether you can integrate Unix/Novell depends on
what you mean by "integrate".  Just because TokenRing/Ethernet Router boxes
exist doesn't mean you can easily integrate your IBM PC-network with your
TCP/IP unix stuff.

How much are various vendors, especially Interactive, charging for their
Portable Netware ports?  My hardware/OS vendor (Prime Computer) has done
some work to provide terminal emulation to the PCs as part of the package,
and is charging _alot_ for it.

We should probably move this thread to comp.dcom.lans, where Novell/
Unix integration has been discussed at length.  Portable Netware is
available for numerous other platforms besides SysV 386 (for example
Pyramid).

Dan
---
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) (01/14/91)

In article <1013@pdxgate.UUCP> berggren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>david@ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:
>
>>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
>>summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
>>copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
>>interest out there in doing this sort of things.
>
>  Hmmm, if you get any direct info, could you forward me a copy? Thanx.

>  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
>  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,

I recently asked about an e-mailer for Novell <-> Unix; I got one response,
from a person (forgot name) who suggested I look into View:

                               VIEW Mailer
                             An Introduction

View is a PC based electronic mail system.  View can operate with
a stand-alone PC, or as part of a novell network.

In stand-alone mode (NOSVIEW.EXE), you must have a KA9Q TCP/IP
SMTP server running.  Amateur radio operators running TCP/IP over
radio may already be familar with NOS.  NOS is stored on
THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM  NOS was written by Phil Karn, KA9Q.

The network version of View runs much differently.  This version
has been compiled with a novell library.  This allow view to use
the network functions of novell.  If you are running view on a
network,  an utility machine must be setup.  The utility machine
runs POSTMAN.  In the 'real' world, if the postman is not
working, then no mail is delivered.  This is the same for the
View mailer.  POSTMAN delivers the mail from user to user.  The
POSTMAN can handle up to 16 servers.  If you have a gateway
machine running KA9Q NOS, the postman will send and receive
Internet mail onto the novell network.

VIEW is stored on HAMSTER.BUSINESS.UWO.CA
ip address: 129.100.22.100
Anonymous FTP supported.
Pull all files into your machine and print all text files.

I haven't tried View yet, tho I have it;

cc:Mail  is a possible solution, but I think it may be way over my budget.

WordPerfect Office is another possibility, esp. since we already use it on
our Novell LAN, and have it installed on our Data General, under AOS/VS;
we don't have the 2 setups communicating, but we may try, and also get it
going under Unix;

I got a call from a guy who said his company has a product capable of
delivering mail Novell  <--> Unix; I don't have the name of the company handy
but when I get the description in the mail, I'll follow up;

When we get around to making a decision, I'll post a summary.

Has anyone looked into Interactive's Netware port? I have the description at
work, but I've not paid much attention as we're switching from ISC to SCO..

If it happens to be a worthwhile networking solution, I may look again tho,..

tim
tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu

petri@digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan10.211307.17197@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>petri@digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) writes:
>
>> There is product called INTERACTIVE Ported NetWare, it is NetWare 3.0
>> that runs top of interactive UNIX. I heve been running it about one month.
>
>and how does it run?  How does it compare to Novell 386?
>
>--
>   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
>                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
>  {larry@nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}

 I have been happy with it. It has been relatively good quality as new
 product ( first release ), there has been some minor broblems with it.
 It comes with shgen 2.15 , and you need to have shgen 3.0 for windows 3.0.
 The NetWare server itshelf is netware 3.0 . In performange
 it is slower than native NetWare 3.0 server, becouse UNIX version
 is just one UNIX process, and there is large number of other processes
 runnixng in UNIX system. I have heared that performange is about same
 than netware 2.15 .

 Petri Alhola
 petri@digiw.fi

In article <575@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM> dag@fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
>It seems to me there is some confusion about what is meant by "Unix/Novell
>interface".
>
>	"Give me unix software to make my Unix host look like a Novell
>	 server to my PCs".  This is Portable Netware.
>
>	One that has no solution is "Give me a way to make my NFS server look
>	like a Novell Server to my Novell client PCs".  Don't laugh; This is
>	what a GatorBox with GatorShare does for Apple FileShare/NFS.

	Interactive Ported Netware allows you to mount NetWare server
 	with NFS to other NFS servers, and you can also mount
	NFS servers to ported NetWare server. The NFS is stantard feature
	of Interactive Architech Network and workstation packages.
	In our office we have many UNIX NFS servers, and one Ported
	netware server and this configuration works finely.

>How much are various vendors, especially Interactive, charging for their
>Portable Netware ports?  My hardware/OS vendor (Prime Computer) has done
>some work to provide terminal emulation to the PCs as part of the package,
>and is charging _alot_ for it.

 	There is NVT ( Netware Virtual Terminal ) terminal emulator
	supprot in product without extra cost . It supports any
	DOS terminal emulator that supports INT 14 interface. I have tried
	public domain 	MSKERMIT and commerical product called Reflections.
	If somebody have information about Windows 3 based terminal
	emulators that supports NVT i am wery intrested.
	With NVT you can connect to UNIX server, and from UNIX server you can
	use telnet or rlogin to access other TCP/IP hosts.

 	Petri Alhola
	petri@digiw.fi

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (01/16/91)

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

>	One that has no solution is "Give me a way to make my NFS server look
>	like a Novell Server to my Novell client PCs".  Don't laugh; This is
>	what a GatorBox with GatorShare does for Apple FileShare/NFS.

We're not laughing! This is one of the disputed items on the list of what
Novell's 386 IP product is supposed to give. At the last count, I was told
that the S/W would make your Novell box into an NFS server, but frustratingly,
not the other way around. I am waiting to find out what Novell will give us
in the final analysis.

>We should probably move this thread to comp.dcom.lans, where Novell/
>Unix integration has been discussed at length.

Another possibility would be comp.sys.novell, although this tends to be
a little PC orientated at the moment (what do you mean, 'So's NetWare?)

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (01/17/91)

In article <575@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM>, dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

> 	"Give me unix software to make my Unix host look like a Novell
> 	 server to my PCs".  This is Portable Netware.
> How much are various vendors, especially Interactive, charging for their
> Portable Netware ports?

I'm told it is a little under $5K, 4,700 - 4,900 by a local dealer
who sells ISC Unix.

One drawback I've heard of: Unix and DOS files remain segregated on
the Portable NetWare server - one OS user cannot access files stored
by the other OS.  I expected an automatic conversion to be implemented.

Chris Barr
Charles River Data Systems
!necntc!frog!barr

dag@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (01/18/91)

In article <22789@frog.UUCP> barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) writes:
>...[Discussion of Portable Netware]...
>One drawback I've heard of: Unix and DOS files remain segregated on
>the Portable NetWare server - one OS user cannot access files stored
>by the other OS.  I expected an automatic conversion to be implemented.

I've said this a number of times on comp.dcom.lans, but I'm not sure
I've said it here.  If your not wedded to Novell, take a hard look at
Locus Computing's PC-Interface.  It's cheap (the server is free with
some unix versions) and it does provide _very_ clean integration between
the MS-Dos and unix file systems, print handling, terminal emulation,
etc.

Standard Disclaimers.

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag@uunet.uu.net

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/19/91)

"Give me DOS software which makes my Novell server appear to be a TCP/IP
NFS server".

I've come up with an idea which should theoretically work if there's a
DOS NFS which can run on top of a TCP/IP running on top of IPX:  I take
a DOS system, throw Novell's client software on it, have it log in to
a Netware server and mount its disks as X:, Y:, Z:, start up TCP/IP,
and start up the NFS server.  Then I should be able to walk over to my
Unix system and NFS mount my Novell files.  The only inconvenience would
be that DOS and Unix treat newlines in text files differently.  And because
I'd have to run this on a separate DOS box from the Novell server, it
wouldn't be as fast as when Novell provides its own NFS server.

Can anyone point me to an NFS server product running on DOS?  Does such
a thing exist?  Has anyone else tried to do this?

For background, I'm working at a company with several dozen DOS machines
linked via Ethernet to a series of Novell servers.  About 6-10 Unix
machines are in the process of being installed; we have not yet brought
up TCP/IP but are about to.  Unix users need access to the plethora of
facilities provided by the Novell system already in place.  (This includes
printers, e-mail, tape drives, modems, etc.)

-rich

dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (01/24/91)

In article <6062@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>Can anyone point me to an NFS server product running on DOS?  Does such
>a thing exist?  Has anyone else tried to do this?

Wouldn't Stans on NFS Server fit this bill?  It is available from
sun.soe.clarkson.edu and is often refered to as SOS.

--
Thomas M. Dixon Jr.				dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
Software Engineer				uunet!pdn!dixon

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/25/91)

dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) writes:
>Wouldn't Stans on NFS Server fit this bill?  It is available from
>sun.soe.clarkson.edu and is often refered to as SOS.

Yes it works.  At least a little bit.  Enough to impress my boss for at
least a day, anyway.  Here's my configuration:

	SCO Unix	DOS		Novell Server
	--------       -------        -----------------
	3C503 card   Interlan card      <whatever>
	TCP/IP       BYU Pkt Driver
	NFS          Netware 386
		     CMU/MIT PC/IP
		     SOS

All three systems are on a single Ethernet coax.  I can then type

	mount -f NFS,soft,rsize=500,wsize=500 dosbox:/y/mydir /usr/me/novell

after logging into the Novell server on 'dosbox' and mappying device Y:.
I get real-time, albeit somewhat slow, transparent file access on my
Unix system to the gigabytes of Novell stuff.  And all for the price of
a couple of Ethernet cards and a minimally-configured DOS box.  In the
future, Novell may be able to provide this directly via software on the
Novell server.  But the Novell NFS is vaporware for the foreseeable
months.

There are some technical problems with SOS, however.  I may switch to PC-NFS
if I can't solve them soon.  The readdir function invoked within NFS
when you type 'ls' hangs indefinitely if the directory contains more than
a few dozen files.  Is anyone out there using SOS from day to day?  How
can I solve these problems and potential others I may run across?  Is the
latest version the 4/90 edition presently on sun.soe.clarkson.edu?

-rich

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (01/26/91)

>"Give me DOS software which makes my Novell server appear to be a TCP/IP
>NFS server".

	I'd like to find out if such a beast exists, on either DOS or
UNIX, that allows a unix system to mount a novell disk so that  a unix
user can access the files on that disk as if it where a unix disk. All the
discussion I have seen here seems to suggest that you can go the other
way (novel user access a unix file system) but not from a UNIX's perspective.