[comp.unix.sysv386] Can't run clients under

fangchin@elaine30.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) (01/12/91)

In article <278E6093.15392@orion.oac.uci.edu> drector@orion.oac.uci.edu (David Rector) writes:
>In <130@chansw.UUCP> chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:
>
>>Anybody experience problems running Roell's X11R4 binary distribution (local
>>connections) with the following clients?
>
>>* No clients from ISC's X11R3 distribution (R1.1)
>>  (Same X11R3 clients work with NCD X-terminal running prom-based server)
>>* X11R4 xclock -- quits by itself; oclock works properly

According to the latest FAQ of comp.windows.x, the xclock has bug which
prevents it from function properly in X11R4 environment (but you can run
it in X11R3).  It has been fixed and a new src has been posted laterly.
Check that FAQ for more details.

I found out this in the hard way.  I tried to use Thomas Roell's X386
ported to ESIX by Mike Knister of U.Michigan.  When I started xclock,
it core-dumped right away.  Later when I read the FAQ for X, I learned
the existance of the bug.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (01/13/91)

>>Anybody experience problems running Roell's X11R4 binary distribution (local
>>connections) with the following clients?
>
>>* No clients from ISC's X11R3 distribution (R1.1)
>>  (Same X11R3 clients work with NCD X-terminal running prom-based server)

X11R3 clients don't work due to shared library differences in R3 and R4.

xclock doesn't work because of a bug in the shared version of libXaw.
You can get a working xclock by recompiling the standard MIT
distribution xclock and linking with non-shared libaries.

	...Martin

Martin Schedlbauer				(mschedlb@ulowell.edu)
Institute for Visualization and Perception Research
Department of Computer Science
University of Lowell, Lowell, MA 01854		(Tel: (508) 934-3612)

mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan12.061432.27366@portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@elaine30.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) writes:
>According to the latest FAQ of comp.windows.x, the xclock has bug which
>prevents it from function properly in X11R4 environment (but you can run
>it in X11R3).  It has been fixed and a new src has been posted laterly.
>Check that FAQ for more details.

Did you mean "xlock" or "xclock" ?  The FAQ mentions the problem and
recent reposting of "xlock", but I found no reference to "xclock" in the
FAQ posted on 31-Dec-90.  Is there a newer FAQ, or did we accidentally
drop/insert a character?

-- Mark

Mark W. Snitily                 Consulting Services:
894 Brookgrove Lane             Graphics, Operating Systems, Compilers
Cupertino, CA 95014             (408) 252-0456
mark@zok.uucp                   West Coast UUCP X11 archive site

If your mailer doesn't like the .uucp domain, these also work:
...!{mips,sgi}!zok!mark, mark%zok@mips.com, mark%zok@sgi.com

For an interesting symmetry, compare the 1661 and 1991 calendars.

dow@presto.ig.com (Christopher Dow) (01/14/91)

	In one of the files in the distribution, it states fairly
clearly that the old clients will have to be recompiled.  Roell uses
Streams, X likes to use socketts.....

Chris Dow                             IntelliGenetics
Software Engineer                     700 East El Camino Real
icbmnet: 37 22' 39" N, 122 3' 32" W   Mountain View, Ca. 94040
dow@presto.ig.com                     (415) 962-7320

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (01/15/91)

>	In one of the files in the distribution, it states fairly
>clearly that the old clients will have to be recompiled.  Roell uses
>Streams, X likes to use socketts.....

I assume that Roell's server, when compiled with -DTCPCONN, will
be able to connect to ISC X clients using the "-display localhost:0"
option.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, noone has succeeded to make Roell's
server work with TCP/IP on ISC Unix, inspite of the support the
sources have for TCP/IP.

I'd be interested if someone has succeeded in this.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (01/15/91)

In article <510@zok.UUCP> mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) writes:
>In article <1991Jan12.061432.27366@portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@elaine30.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) writes:
>>According to the latest FAQ of comp.windows.x, the xclock has bug which
>>prevents it from function properly in X11R4 environment (but you can run
>>it in X11R3).  It has been fixed and a new src has been posted laterly.
>>Check that FAQ for more details.
>
>Did you mean "xlock" or "xclock" ?  The FAQ mentions the problem and
>recent reposting of "xlock", but I found no reference to "xclock" in the
>FAQ posted on 31-Dec-90.  Is there a newer FAQ, or did we accidentally
>drop/insert a character?
>
>-- Mark

Sorry about my faulty memory.  The FAQ only mentioned xlock (subject 65)
not xclock.  The bug of xclock is well known however.  It is in libXaw_s
and Thomas Roell has fixed it recently.

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (01/15/91)

>>According to the latest FAQ of comp.windows.x, the xclock has bug which
>>prevents it from function properly in X11R4 environment [...]
>
>Did you mean "xlock" or "xclock" ?

That could be "xklock", the kanji version of xlock.

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@uunet

mark@zok.UUCP (Mark W. Snitily) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.180812.3437@cti-software.nl> pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>I assume that Roell's server, when compiled with -DTCPCONN, will
>be able to connect to ISC X clients using the "-display localhost:0"
>option.

Unfortunately no, not to my knowledge.  *But*, it works the other
way around.

If you compile the current distribution with -DTCPCONN, then the
*clients* will work correctly.  Only the *server* appears to have the
problem.

In other words, the X11R4 clients (e.g xterm, etc.) compiled with Herr
Roell's pathces (and -DTCPCONN) work just fine with the X11R3 server
supplied by ISC.

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (01/16/91)

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:

>>	In one of the files in the distribution, it states fairly
>>clearly that the old clients will have to be recompiled.  Roell uses
>>Streams, X likes to use socketts.....

>I assume that Roell's server, when compiled with -DTCPCONN, will
>be able to connect to ISC X clients using the "-display localhost:0"
>option.

>Unfortunately, to my knowledge, noone has succeeded to make Roell's
>server work with TCP/IP on ISC Unix, inspite of the support the
>sources have for TCP/IP.

>I'd be interested if someone has succeeded in this.

I've been running Roell's server with TCPCONN for about 2-3 months now and
it's working great!  The main problem I had was that Roell's select() didn't
work with TCP/IP, so I used the TCP/IP select() emulation instead.  It took a
while to find that out, since Roell's select() code is totally correct, as
I judge the source.  The fact remains, though, when I ifdef'd it out, the
server started to work!  There might've been more to it than this, but the
source is on tape for the moment, so I can't check it out for the moment.

						Hope this helps
						Niklas

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50

tmh@keks.FOKUS.GMD.DBP.DE (Thomas Hoberg) (01/30/91)

(David Rector) writes:
|> In <130@chansw.UUCP> chan@chansw.UUCP (Jerry H. Chan) writes:
|>
|> >Anybody experience problems running Roell's X11R4 binary
distribution (local
|> >connections) with the following clients?
|>
|> >* No clients from ISC's X11R3 distribution (R1.1)
|> >  (Same X11R3 clients work with NCD X-terminal running prom-based server)
|> >* X11R4 xclock -- quits by itself; oclock works properly
|>
|> >* u386mon (under xterm) -- first screen appears, but no statistics
|> >  updates occur during update intervals
|>
|> >I am running ISC 2.2.1 w/the Orchid Prodesigner II card.
|>
|> I'm having the same problems on 2.0.2 with STB.
|>
|> --
|> David L. Rector				drector@orion.oac.uci.edu
|> Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717
According to Thomas Roell the next release of the server (any day now) will
support ISC clients and include a binary distribution for network connections.
As to xclock, go to the MIT :->. Now really, he did the server, not the
clients. Get the distribution and hack it yourself.
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET