[comp.unix.sysv386] Additional IDE support?

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) (01/11/91)

brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

>there is no "fix" perse in this latest release. Technical support stated the
>following as the 2.2.1 fixes:
[...]
>	*  Additional IDE support for Seagate and Rodime

I'm not sure I understand this.

Weren't all the people telling all the time that an IDE device looks
exactly like and standard disk controller (ST412/ST506) to the rest of
the system?

How can there be a necessity for `additional support'?
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin@mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (01/17/91)

martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>brando@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>
>>there is no "fix" perse in this latest release. Technical support stated the
>>following as the 2.2.1 fixes:
>[...]
>>	*  Additional IDE support for Seagate and Rodime
>
>I'm not sure I understand this.
>
>Weren't all the people telling all the time that an IDE device looks
>exactly like and standard disk controller (ST412/ST506) to the rest of
>the system?
>
>How can there be a necessity for `additional support'?

The problem is that IDE under MOST cases looks like an ST412/506 to your
system.  Case and point, Novell ELS Level I will not work with IDE (or at
least it's not certified to work).  It all depends on which IDE adaptor you
use and what drive you're using.

Another case and point, a friend of mine tried to fire up Microport SysV/AT
1.3 on an ALR PowerFlex, it didn't work.  Couldn't even partition the Seagate
ST157A under uPort.

Sure, it works most of the time, but it doesn't always work.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (01/18/91)

In <1040@mwtech.UUCP>, martin@mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) wrote:

| there is no "fix" perse in this latest release. Technical support
| stated the following as the 2.2.1 fixes:

|	*  Additional IDE support for Seagate and Rodime

> Weren't all the people telling all the time that an IDE device looks
> exactly like and standard disk controller (ST412/ST506) to the rest of
> the system?

For some IDE drives, AT compatibility is only an "approximation"
concept.  There are drives that yank the IRQ before the data is in
fact ready (heck, the interrupt handler is bound to take a while
before reading the data).  Also, I am told that some drives fail to
assert IOCHRDY in order to guarantee minimum time between buffer
accesses - they simply "know" that no system can do REP INSW with less
than 500ns per.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

jtsillas@bubba.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) (01/24/91)

I have two questions regarding IDE support:

1) Are there fixes to allow users of ISC 2.2 to use IDE drives?
2) Has anyone configured the IDE host adaptor as a secondary controller?
	i.e. as controlled 1 where the boot device is on controller 0.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

james.

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/24/91)

jtsillas@bubba.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) writes:

>1) Are there fixes to allow users of ISC 2.2 to use IDE drives?

I had a friend running 2.2 with a connor 200 meg IDE drive without
problems..

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0282 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

nbladt@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) (02/01/91)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>jtsillas@bubba.ma30.bull.com (James Tsillas) writes:

>>1) Are there fixes to allow users of ISC 2.2 to use IDE drives?

>I had a friend running 2.2 with a connor 200 meg IDE drive without
>problems..
It seems even to work with two Conner 104 MB IDE drives.
(386 25-Mhz no name taiwanese clone).

Norbert Bladt.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14