[comp.unix.sysv386] arc for '386 Unix

julian@bongo.UUCP (Julian Macassey) (02/03/91)

I often have need to send files (usually text) to other people with
other systems. In the Unix world compress seems pretty universal and
trouble free. But for universality across most systems I have been
using arc or pkxarc. I have this running on my 3B1 and of course it
runs on MS-DOG, Atari, Commode-door Amiga etc. I have not been able to
track down a version for '386 Unix (using Esix here if that matters).

	Is arc available for '386 Unix?

	Could someone point me towards a uucp site, let me mail them a disk
or something so I can geta copy?

--
Julian Macassey, n6are  julian@bongo.info.com  ucla-an!denwa!bongo!julian
N6ARE@N6YN (Packet Radio) n6are.ampr.org [44.16.0.81] voice (213) 653-4495

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (02/03/91)

julian@bongo.info.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>I often have need to send files (usually text) to other people with
>other systems. In the Unix world compress seems pretty universal ...
>
>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?

There is a utility called 'zoo' for both Unix and DOS; check the archives
on uunet.uu.net.  Also, a version of compress exists for DOS; I've
forgotten where you can get it (perhaps uunet?).  Compress only works
with a single file, whereas zoo works with multiple files.

Other public-domain tools of interest:  pdtar (both Unix and DOS versions),
compatible with Unix tar interchange format; tarread.com, a read-only
DOS tar extracter; uuencode and uudecode (for both DOS and Unix), which
convert binary files into text files; kermit (DOS and Unix), for file
transfers; pcomm, a Unix communications program similar to DOS Procomm;
xmodem (for both DOS and Unix), for file transfers; and zmodem (for
Unix) which can send files to/from DOS Procomm.

I'd suggest poking around in the archives on uunet.uu.net; you'll find
a lot of communications stuff there.

OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
archival utility with data compression?

Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

-rich

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (02/04/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?

>OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
>question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
>archival utility with data compression?

>Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

 Pkarc is Phil Katz's clone/improvement of ARC, which is owned by
SEA (and whose ownership of the word "arc" was held up in court).
SEA sued Mr. Katz (the mentioned court function above) and won on
Phil's use of the word ARC and a archiving program compatable with
theirs. ARC is not pd anymore (funny, it was before SEA came along).
Phil tried renaming PKarc to PKpak but SEA went back to court on it
as it was still compatable with their ARC program. This is why Phil
created PKzip.

 (hmm, the DOS compression wars in a nutshell)

 ARC is not free, but the source is available from SEA for a fee.
It is available elsewhere for free, but SEA expects you to pay them for
it anyway...  The source is anything but clean, anyway.  Zoo or lharc,
both of which are free (not PD, but free) and available on a wide
variety of platforms, make better formats for sharng files among the
various machines.
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant

tin@szebra.uucp (Tin Le) (02/04/91)

In article <6334@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>julian@bongo.info.com (Julian Macassey) writes:
>>I often have need to send files (usually text) to other people with
>>other systems. In the Unix world compress seems pretty universal ...
>>
>>	Is arc available for '386 Unix?
>
> [mentioned several archivers for *NIX, zoo, lharc, etc...]
>
>OK, I must be running for political office:  I never did answer the
>question.  Does anyone know of a Unix pkarc?  Or a tree-oriented DOS
>archival utility with data compression?

I have the "real" arc running on ISC 386/ix S5R3.2.  The source is based
on v5.2 of arc that was release several years ago to the net.  It's not
PD per se, but I believe private home use is allowed (I haven't read the
doc file in it for a while).

The source for it is on szebra, available for anon UUCP.  I'll make the
binary available too if there is enough demand.

szebra
1-408-739-1520
Telebit+ 300-19.2K bps
Login:    nuucp
Password: nuucp

>Finally, is the pkarc system 'open', i.e. non-patented and non-trademarked?

ARC is a trade-marked name by SEA (Software Enhancement Associates).  They
sued the people who created pkarc and won.  That's why pkzip came about.

-- Tin

--