[comp.unix.sysv386] SVR3.2 development on SVR4

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (01/31/91)

Does anyone know if it is possible to run SVR4 binaries on SVR3.2?
I'd like to get the Dell SVR4 package to develop binaries for ISC
2.0.2.  Can libraries from SVR3.2 be copied over to SVR4 and used
when linking?
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

In article <1991Jan31.043548.25224@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to run SVR4 binaries on SVR3.2?

Nope.  the 3.2 kernel does not understand ELF (the object file format for SVR4).

>I'd like to get the Dell SVR4 package to develop binaries for ISC
>2.0.2.  Can libraries from SVR3.2 be copied over to SVR4 and used
>when linking?

Since 3.2 binaries will work correctly on SVR4, I would copy the ISC tools
over to your SVR4 system in a chrooted enviroment and do the compiles there.
I successfully used this mechanism to develop Xenix software under ISC.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (01/31/91)

Temples) writes:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to run SVR4 binaries on SVR3.2?
> I'd like to get the Dell SVR4 package to develop binaries for ISC
> 2.0.2.  Can libraries from SVR3.2 be copied over to SVR4 and used
> when linking?
> --
> John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

You cannot run binaries made on V4 on a 3.2 system, it does not produce
COFF files, uses ELF instead.  The opposite is true however, i.e. 3.2
runs okay
on V.4.  If you intend to develop explicitly for 3.2 [ why? ;-) ] then you
should do it on a 3.2 machine.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan31.111646.28158@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=In article <1991Jan31.043548.25224@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
=>Does anyone know if it is possible to run SVR4 binaries on SVR3.2?
=
=Nope.  the 3.2 kernel does not understand ELF (the object file format for SVR4).

OTOH, 3.2.2 *does* execute ELFers.  I gen them with the 5.0 CCS on a
SV/386 R3.2.2 AT&T system.

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jprem@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (jeffrey.prem) (02/05/91)

   >From: jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard)
   >Subject: Re: SVR3.2 development on SVR4
   >Date: 31 Jan 91 14:52:46 GMT
   >
   >In article <1991Jan31.043548.25224@jwt.UUCP>, john@jwt.UUCP (John
   >Temples) writes:
   >>
   >> Does anyone know if it is possible to run SVR4 binaries on SVR3.2?
   >> I'd like to get the Dell SVR4 package to develop binaries for ISC
   >> 2.0.2.  Can libraries from SVR3.2 be copied over to SVR4 and used
   >> when linking?
   >> --
   >> John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)
   >
   >You cannot run binaries made on V4 on a 3.2 system, it does not produce
   >COFF files, uses ELF instead.  The opposite is true however, i.e. 3.2
   >runs okay
   >on V.4.  If you intend to develop explicitly for 3.2 [ why? ;-) ] then you
   >should do it on a 3.2 machine.

This is not entirely true.  It is possible to develop COFF binaries on
SVR4.0 by installing the SVR3.2 C Compilation System.  It is even
possible to have the SVR4.0 compilation system installed at the same
time.  To accomplish this: install the SVR3.2 CCS *first* (this keeps
the SVR4.0 CCS from making links from "/bin/cc" to "/usr/ccs/bin/cc",
etc.); then install the SVR4.0 CCS.  Since the SVR4.0 CCS resides
under "/usr/ccs", you can control which version you use by where
"/usr/ccs/bin" comes in your $PATH.

This capability is specifically intended for people who want to move
to SVR4.0 while still being able to develop for SVR3.2.

Jeff
--
Jeff Prem (jprem@attunix.att.com)
OS Desktop Development Group