[comp.unix.sysv386] bsd

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (02/05/91)

I read in a recent issue of Dr. Dobbs that there is a bsd unix version
available for the 386.  Can anybody tell me the following:

	1. What are the requirements to get bsd unix (we are a university)
	2. Where can I get the 386 version?
	3. Is this a public domain version?

Some of these questions might be asked out of ignorance, but I'm
relatively new to unix, and I want to find a cheap way to switch from
ms-dos.

Thanks,

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.012126.7067@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>> 	1. What are the requirements to get bsd unix (we are a university)
>
>To get a full system from BSD, you need a source license from AT&T.  There
>are parts which are available without AT&T license.  (You need a Berkeley
>license for the non-AT&T subset, but it's neither expensive nor harsh.)

Exactly what are the conditions?

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139