[comp.unix.sysv386] SVR4: Intel yields to Interactive!

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (01/23/91)

Like, wow.  Here's a paraphrase of a press release that just moved from
UNIX System Laboratories (USL).

USL and Intel named Interactive (ISC) a Principal Publisher of SVR4 for
the 386/486.  USL will give Interactive a standard porting base.  ISC
will market, package, sell and support SVR4 for Intel based platforms.

INTEL WILL TRANSFER ITS EXISTING SVR4 CUSTOMER BASE TO INTERACTIVE.
Intel itself will continue ABI and architecture development.

Interactive's SVR4 release will bundle "imaging, networking, GUIs,
VP/ix, applications, and new distribution media such as CD-ROM."

_______________________

So, Intel rolls up its shrinkwrap UNIX efforts and tosses the ball to
ISC.  I guess that's OK, but I hope the pricing stays reasonable.

--
      +----------+                %\%\  Tom Neff
      +----------+                %\%\  uunet!bfmny0!tneff

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (01/28/91)

In article <11885197@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>INTEL WILL TRANSFER ITS EXISTING SVR4 CUSTOMER BASE TO INTERACTIVE.
>Intel itself will continue ABI and architecture development.

>Interactive's SVR4 release will bundle "imaging, networking, GUIs,
>VP/ix, applications, and new distribution media such as CD-ROM."

>So, Intel rolls up its shrinkwrap UNIX efforts and tosses the ball to
>ISC.  I guess that's OK, but I hope the pricing stays reasonable.

I certainly consider this a Good Thing, since I thought that Intel's
conflict of interest in developing the generic port and also being one
of the resellers, was somewhat objectionable.

This brings up two questions:

1) What does the Intel move give to Interactive beyond just its
misearble market share? Does this leave Dell, ESIX, and even AT&T
at a *technological* disadvantage regarding the availability or
quality of the ports available to them?

2) What's left of Bell Technologies?

The Hub card is no longer being supported. The Blit is a historical
blip. And what seemed to be the last remnants of BellTech, its
shrinkwrap of UNIX for the 386, has now been abandoned with barely a
stab at the market. What remains of the Intel takeover?

Where are you, Dmitri?

--
 Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
       evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

OK, where does this leave existing Intel V.3 customers, particularly those
of us dependent on Intel applications (PL/M development tools, OpenNET)?
We were planning on upgrading to V.4 at some point. Looks like that's on
indefinite hold.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (02/07/91)

In article <1O49NA@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>OK, where does this leave existing Intel V.3 customers, particularly those
>of us dependent on Intel applications (PL/M development tools, OpenNET)?
>We were planning on upgrading to V.4 at some point. Looks like that's on
>indefinite hold.

Well.. I just got a note from Intel saying that they are "ramping-down"
their production of SysVr3.2.  Software support contracts for r3.2 would
not be renewable after April 30, and that we have a special upgrade
price of $399 good until r4.0.

hmmm..

So if they're asking for customers for r4.0 then I don't understand
why we're supposed to shift to Interactive's r4.0?

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>