[comp.unix.sysv386] ld aux table overflow

fredriks@kuling.UUCP (Fredrik Stax{ng) (02/04/91)

I am using C++ on Interactive UNIX, and I keep getting aux table
overflow with Interactive's linker. I have reduced the number of symbols
several times, but it is only a temporary solution.

What is the aux table, and what can be done to reduce the need for entries
in it?

Is there a way around this, or an alternative linker to be found anywhere?
I know of GNU:s ld, and as far as I know, it does not link COFF. The  LPI
linker lpild is just a shell script around the normal linker. Do any of the
C++ implementaions come with it's own linker? (HCR and Oregon does not).

--
Fredrik Stax{ng                | Unix is the last operating system. Any
CS Student@Uppsala University  | new will be strictly in the Unix tradition.

arm@sps.com (Annette Myjak) (02/08/91)

In article <1902@kuling.UUCP>, fredriks@kuling.UUCP (Fredrik Stax{ng) writes:
> I am using C++ on Interactive UNIX, and I keep getting aux table
> overflow with Interactive's linker. I have reduced the number of symbols
> several times, but it is only a temporary solution.
>
> What is the aux table, and what can be done to reduce the need for entries
> in it?

(apologies for the xtra bandwidth here, but email bounced.)

 Fredrik,

if you could email or post any information you learn about this subject, i
would be grateful!!  we have a subcontractor who has encountered this
very same problem, and it's putting quite a damper on porting some
software to the interactive platform.

THANKS in advance!!

annette myjak
arm@sps.com