[comp.unix.sysv386] Pcomm / A ProComm lookalike

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (01/29/91)

A ProComm clone program was posted to comp.sources.unix about 2-1/2 years
ago and is archived in various places, including uunet.uu.net.

This is a version for SysV and it works somewhat.  Is there a newer version
or another useful utility for managing outgoing calls and file downloads
under SysV Unix?  Pcomm, as distributed on uunet, has a few annoying bugs.

-rich

fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (01/29/91)

In article <6248@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
>A ProComm clone program was posted to comp.sources.unix about 2-1/2 years
>ago and is archived in various places, including uunet.uu.net.
>
>This is a version for SysV and it works somewhat.  Is there a newer version
>or another useful utility for managing outgoing calls and file downloads
>under SysV Unix?  Pcomm, as distributed on uunet, has a few annoying bugs.

The latest and patched version is archived at

cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.102) where Emmet Gary also archives his
mtools 2.03 , and RCS.

You may would like to try ecu, available from comp.sources.misc, volume16
together with some patches.

I am sure you know kermit/zmodem/xmodem 3.9

In addition, xcmalt by James A. Woods may fit your bill too.  It is available
as a public domain software and it's author actively supports it.

In my opinion, the most complete PD comm software I have seen so far is ECU
mentioned above.  But it is designed specifically for SCO 386 Xenix/Unix
products, so some porting may be necessary.

The may be others available but I am not aware of.

If there are enough interest, I will post xcmalt whose author is a really
nice fellow. Meanwhile I will save bandwidth.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (01/29/91)

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:

>This is a version for SysV and it works somewhat.  Is there a newer version
>or another useful utility for managing outgoing calls and file downloads
>under SysV Unix?  Pcomm, as distributed on uunet, has a few annoying bugs.

A commercial product called ProYam ($139 retail) is available from Omen
(the Zmodem folks) which does everything that Qmodem and ProComm does
under DOS - plus a whole bunch more.

ProYam supports 10 or so protocols - and support is free and excellent.
Updates are also free - and the product is available for several different
platforms.

For more info contact caf@omen

--
   Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)
                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator

fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (01/30/91)

After I posted a response to Rich's question regarding comm programs,  I got
a message from Jean-Pierre, the nice fellow I mentioned in my last posting.

I was informed that xcmalt is still being modified and once it is polished
enough it will be posted on the net.  Meanwhile, if you would like to test
it, please contact Jean-Pierre at the following address:

Jean-Pierre Radley
jpr@jpradley.jpr.com
CIS: 72160,1341

Of course, there are commerical products available like ProYam too which is
mentioned in many UNIX/386 vendors third party product catalogs like SCO's.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu

ps. I tried to reply several people asking me about xcmalt but all my
    replys bounced.  Sorry for using everyone's bandwidth

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan29.044338.25509@portia.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>In addition, xcmalt by James A. Woods may fit your bill too.  It is available
>as a public domain software and it's author actively supports it.
>If there are enough interest, I will post xcmalt whose author is a really
>nice fellow. Meanwhile I will save bandwidth.

James A. Woods is not the author of xcmalt. He's responsible for the
"shellshark" format (self-extracting compressed ascii) that I have used to
mail xcmalt out to various persons.

There's no single "author" for the program, but I've been issuing all the
releases and making all the changes, from 2.0 to the present 2.9; I refer
to myself as xcmalt's "caretaker" in the README file.
I have more changes planned before I release it to this net, but I will gladly
mail the current sources to anyone.

 Jean-Pierre Radley   NYC Public Unix   jpr@jpradley.jpr.com   CIS: 72160,1341

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (02/02/91)

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:

>mushin."  Score one for ProYAM.  But if you wanted to pop up
>a window showing entries in your dialing directory, from
>which you could tag several to be called, you'd have to fire
>up ProComm or Qmodem.

I run ProYam under X and I have all the windows I want!

--

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Jan30.205523.2874@rfengr.com> rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:
>YAM is great for writing scripts, but, for interactive use,
>it cannot compete in any way with Qmodem or ProComm.

That's what the scripts are FOR.  With scripts you can INDEED be as cute
as Procomm or Qmodem.  Chuck's sin is not supplying them pre-written as
a YAM front end.  His bet is that his target audience doesn't really
want them anyway.

And it's true that within the UNIX/GUI tool philosophy, the cycling,
tagging, and cute boxes ought to lie outside the comm engine.  Once the
engine is running, YAM has little serious competition.

--
"Nature loves a vacuum.  Digital    \O@/    Tom Neff
  doesn't." -- DEC sales letter     /@O\    tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM