[comp.unix.sysv386] FAQ for Roell and a question

durian@news.colorado.edu (DURIAN MICHAEL BLAINE) (02/08/91)

  If this escaped the first time I tried to post, I appologize for the
repeat.

  Is there a FAQ for Roell's X11R4 server?  I didn't pay attention to most
of the postings on the server because I had a bus mouse.  Now I've got
another 386 running ESIX with a serial mouse, and I'd like to put up
X11R4 on it.  I bet most of my problems (present and future) have been
asked before.

  My current situation is thus: I've picked up the binaries from
freebie.engin.umich.edu and have transfered them to my new machine, and
installed them.  I've made sure SHLBMAX is set to 6.  I've got a logitech
serial mouse attached.  And finally, I get this error message when I try
xinit:

Fatal server bug!
Cannot establish any listening sockets
/usr2/mike/.xserverrc: 1148 Bus error - core dumped
giving up.
/usr/bin/X11/xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to
X server

  I should add that I've never install X11R3 on this system.  Do I need
anything from that package?  Any drivers, such as for the mouse?
  I know my problem is going to be something silly and stupid, but for now
it is just a mystery to me.
durian@tramp.colorado.edu
{ncar, ucar, rutgers, big_places}!boulder!tramp!durian

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (02/08/91)

In article <durian.665947060@tramp.Colorado.EDU> durian@tramp.Colorado.EDU writes:
>  My current situation is thus: I've picked up the binaries from
>freebie.engin.umich.edu and have transfered them to my new machine, and
>installed them.  I've made sure SHLBMAX is set to 6.  I've got a logitech
>
>Fatal server bug!
>Cannot establish any listening sockets
>/usr2/mike/.xserverrc: 1148 Bus error - core dumped
>giving up.
>/usr/bin/X11/xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to
>X server

You don't need to install X11R3 unless you wish to use the bus mouse driver
contained in that package.

I don't know what causes the above problem, but I usually run xinit as root,
then from that point on it'll work for any other uid. I think it is probably
and authorization problem with some file. I think X writes it socket id
somewhere into a file (I think /tmp).

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\