[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC's DMA transfer rate

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb07.181315.21427@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com
(Larry Snyder) writes:
|erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) writes:

| >Also, how high has anyone set the transfer rate on the adaptec board.
| >From memory, I think I put the shunt on the 6.x transfer rate.
| >(It goes to 10ish I think).

|those jumpers don't matter - the transfer rate is set in the kernel
|which overrides the jumpers on the board --
|
|Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287 (HST/PEP/V.32/v.42bis)

Okay- I'm not a Unix techie, but as far as the ISC's driver
goes I thought the DMA rate paramter was ignored (and if it's not,
has anyone fooled around with tuning it higher?).  This is for
the adaptec scsi board, remember.

It could be I'm thinking of ISC's generic tape driver.  I'm pretty
sure any default DMA rate there, is ignored.

Thanks,
Evan
--
Evan Ron Aussenberg
erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (02/10/91)

erast1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Evan R Aussenberg) writes:
>Okay- I'm not a Unix techie, but as far as the ISC's driver
>goes I thought the DMA rate paramter was ignored (and if it's not,
>has anyone fooled around with tuning it higher?).  This is for
>the adaptec scsi board, remember.

it sure doesn't ignore it, i f*cked up track 0 of my 600MB disk
by using a value a little too high...
you'd better use a spare disk for trying out, and DON'T think
it's alright only because it doesn't crash immediately. it might
take hours until you get some lovely

WARNING: Kernel NMI trap: unable to determine source of NMI
Parity error at: 0x0059B000 (0x00402000, 0xC059B000)

NOTICE: Unexpected NMI in system mode!

while you were just updating the disks partition table...

good luck !-)
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: