[comp.unix.sysv386] BAD HZ VALUE --- Error

testurm@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Torsten Sturm (AKBP WS 1990)) (01/31/91)

Hi freaks out there. I need help   :

I installed UNIX386 3.2 SCO, and after relinking the kernel,
some programms (such like su...) bring up the message:
Bad Hz Value
Using 60 from /usr/include/sys/params.h

I then checked this value, (60), set it to 50 (GERMANY),
relinked, and still got the SAME(!) message, but otherwise
unix says at boottime, that Hz=50.
This causes strange errors, because a command like this :
su root -c "devnm /" | grep -v swap | setmnt
writes additionally the above messeage into the mounttable !!!

Can you help ??

(I've studied release notes, but there was nothing like that)

Thanks in advance ....
--
Torsten Sturm
tnsturm@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (02/03/91)

testurm@informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Torsten Sturm (AKBP WS 1990)) writes:
>I installed UNIX386 3.2 SCO, and after relinking the kernel,
>some programms (such like su...) bring up the message:
>Bad Hz Value
>Using 60 from /usr/include/sys/params.h
>Can you help ??

This is a problem known at SCO.  When I asked them about this, they
told me it's because I'd set csh for user root in /etc/passwd.  Their
solution is to use sh for user root.

I don't like this solution.  Does anyone have a better idea?  In the
meantime, I set sh in /etc/passwd, and immediately run csh from
.profile in the root directory.  (But then 'su' gives me sh.  Barf.)

Presumably this will be 'fixed in next release'.  But who knows when
that will be?  (if you know, please post...)

-rich

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (02/11/91)

In article <1831@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:

-!Sure.  Create another user login, say `rootx', which is an exact duplicate
-of `root', except you use `/bin/csh' as the login shell.
-
-WHOOOPS!!!  Oh...you said SCO.  Never mind.  SCO has decided for you that
-you wouldn't want to create two accounts with the same UID.
-
-Fuck relaxed mode.  Please give me an off switch.
-
---
-Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
-Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.
-<chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>    |

So, is there a workaround?  I want to create an account which is an
exact duplicate of root, except with /etc/haltsys as the login shell.
How can I do that?  If I can't is there another way to let a local
user shutdown the system without giving him root privilege?

Ken