[comp.unix.sysv386] 14 character file names

rvk@cbnewsh.att.com (robert.v.kline) (02/03/91)

I've heard that SysVr4 will allow longer file names longer than 14
characters.  The current version of SunOS allows 256 character names.

-r. kline
rvk\@blink.att.com

andyc@bucky.intel.com (Andy Crump) (02/04/91)

robert.v.kline> I've heard that SysVr4 will allow longer file names longer than 14
robert.v.kline> characters.  The current version of SunOS allows 256 character names.

Yes, but only in the UFS (Berkeley) filesystem.  In an S5 filesystem,
file names are still 14 characters.
--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc@littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc@littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.

andyc@bucky.intel.com (Andy Crump) (02/04/91)

robert.v.kline> I've heard that SysVr4 will allow longer file names longer than 14
robert.v.kline> characters.  The current version of SunOS allows 256 character names.

In SVR4 you have the option to configure a given filesystem as either
UFS or S5.  In the S5 filesystem, filenames are only 14 characters, in
the UFS filesystem, they are the same as in the Berkeley fast file
system.

There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
decisions.

--

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (02/07/91)

In article <ANDYC.91Feb4134215@bucky.intel.com>, andyc@bucky.intel.com
(Andy Crump) writes:
> There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
> refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
> utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
> decisions.

I made exactly the change you describe above to compress in our V.4
product, and it will be on the next update.  If you have examples of
other commands with this problem, I would appreciate a email reply
with a list of them.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (02/07/91)

(Andy Crump) writes:
>These
>utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
>decisions.

More to the point, they should all use pathconf and/or fpathconf to find out
how large filenames may be.  This way, the same program will work on all
filesystems that support the pathconf call (which should actually be all of
them).

Note, unfortunately, that there are problems with this.  If a system call
returns ENAMETOOLONG, and PATH_MAX is undefined, it is non-trivial to find
out whether the problem was due to the pathname being too long, or if a
certain portion of the pathname contained an entry whose name was too long.
But it's "portable"! 8-)

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (02/12/91)

As quoted from <14934@uudell.dell.com> by jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard):
+---------------
| In article <ANDYC.91Feb4134215@bucky.intel.com>, andyc@bucky.intel.com
| (Andy Crump) writes:
| > There are utilities in SVR4 (e.g. compress) that create filenames and
| > refuse to create any that would be greater than 14 characters.  These
| > utilities, IMHO, should check the filesystem type before making these
| > decisions.
|
| I made exactly the change you describe above to compress in our V.4
| product, and it will be on the next update.  If you have examples of
| other commands with this problem, I would appreciate a email reply
| with a list of them.

Sensible.  Isn't that what POSIX pathconf() is for?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN