[comp.unix.sysv386] Symbolic links on SCO ODT

bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) (02/12/91)

Does anyone know if SCO ODT supports symbolic links in V1.1? I know they
didn't in V1.0 (probably the worst omission in ODT and the only <UNIX> NFS
distribution I've seen without them.)

--
Bruce Reed
Objectivity Inc.              bruce@objy.com 	| Duck em' if they can't

vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb11.172618.9659@objy.com> bruce@opus.objy.com (Bruce Reed) writes:
>Does anyone know if SCO ODT supports symbolic links in V1.1? I know they
>didn't in V1.0 (probably the worst omission in ODT and the only <UNIX> NFS
>distribution I've seen without them.)

On ODT 1.0, you cannot create sym-links, but if the filesystem you've
NFS mounted has sym-links, then ODT will follow them (but it won't
report them in an `ls -l' listing). This means that the kernel
``supports'' sym-links, but the user utilities don't (ie `ln -s'
doesn't work).

		vic
--
Victor Gavin <vic@grep.co.uk||vic@grep.uucp||..!ukc!grep!vic||+44 532 500303>
Grep Limited, Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX