[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO Unix vs OpenDesktop

cheng@ee.rochester.edu (Bruce Cheng) (01/14/91)

Open Desktop come with 2 user version. It has a server upgrade ~$1000 and
software development upgrade ~$1000 (I don't recall the figures too well).

So you can really start with Open desktop as a personal unix station and
upgrade it to a full blown server.

As far as I know the difference is (in terms of UNIX version) is as
follows:

	Open Desktop include Version 3.2.1 SCO unix.
	SCO UNIX standalone is V3.2.2.

	I got this information from a SCO UNIX sales/tech person.
	I have NOT seen these packages yet.

-Bruce

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/16/91)

cheng@ee.rochester.edu (Bruce Cheng) writes:

>	Open Desktop include Version 3.2.1 SCO unix.
>	SCO UNIX standalone is V3.2.2.
>	I got this information from a SCO UNIX sales/tech person.

	Latest word from a local SCO sales/tech person is that ODT 1.1,
now due out in early March, will include the latest UNIX, as well as various
ODT component upgrades.

macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) (01/19/91)

In article <204@raysnec.UUCP>
shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) wrote:

| cheng@ee.rochester.edu (Bruce Cheng) writes:
|
| >	Open Desktop include Version 3.2.1 SCO unix.
| >	SCO UNIX standalone is V3.2.2.
| >	I got this information from a SCO UNIX sales/tech person.
|
| 	Latest word from a local SCO sales/tech person is that ODT 1.1,
| now due out in early March, will include the latest UNIX, as well as various
| ODT component upgrades.

Yup, that's true...

I'm doing support for this SCO stuff at BSP, the major distributor
for SCO here in Germany and the guys at SCO London told the same date
to me.

BTW: the official release of the latest SCO UNIX is 3.2v2.
                                                    ^^^^^
     This is because the 'old' 3.2.0 lied when asked about the version
     with 'uname -a' (3.2 2)...

--
Connor MacLeod  <set _aka = 'Uwe Obst'>
 -->========-   <set _adr = '{connor|macleod}@cmllab.rgb.sub.org'>

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (01/19/91)

cheng@ee.rochester.edu (Bruce Cheng) writes:

>Open Desktop come with 2 user version. It has a server upgrade ~$1000 and
>software development upgrade ~$1000 (I don't recall the figures too well).

The server upgrade and development system are both priced at ~$1.5k apiece.

>So you can really start with Open desktop as a personal unix station and
>upgrade it to a full blown server.

However, I would wait until the next version of ODT is released before getting
into it heavily. It doesn't have the "latest" SCO UNIX as its basis.

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      / Sex is hereditary. If your
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  parents never had it, chances

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan18.191137.3540@cmllab.rgb.sub.org> macleod@cmllab.rgb.sub.org (Connor MacLeod) writes:
>BTW: the official release of the latest SCO UNIX is 3.2v2.
>                                                    ^^^^^
>     This is because the 'old' 3.2.0 lied when asked about the version
>     with 'uname -a' (3.2 2)...

I think the 'v' is to avoid confusion.

struct utsname {
	char	release[9];		== "3.2" i.e, S5R3.2
	char	version[9];     == "2"   i.e., S5R3 minor version -->2<--
	char	machine[9];		== "i386"
	.
	. [deleted]
	.
};

There is, alas, poor agreement, conflicting 'standards', and mixed
history on the use of these fields.  There was a good discussion on
this subject somewhere on the net recently.

Warren Tucker, March Hare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
When bad men combine, the good must associate;  else they will fall one
by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. -Edmund Burke

kim@watnow.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (02/15/91)

I'm using the Open Desktop SCO Unix V/386 version 1.0, and I can tell
you that it's a pain not having version 2.0.  Apparently Open Desktop
will bundle version 2.0 first week of March under ODT 1.1.  An upgrade
will be available for ODT 1.0 at the cost of $295 CAN, and since the
cost went up $400 on Jan. 1 in the space of two months the ODT package
went up 50%.
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watnow.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
kim@watnow.uwaterloo.ca    {uunet|utzoo|utai|decvax}!watmath!watnow!kim