[comp.unix.sysv386] connections still hang in CLOSED

steve@cdp.UUCP (02/17/91)

This bug report is addressed primarily to Interactive Support, in
particular, Marty C. Stewart, Support Team Leader.

BUG REPORT
==========

I. Summary

The problem with tcp/ip connections hanging in CLOSED state,
and accepting no more connections on a particular tcp port
continues in recent versions of interactive UNIX and interactive
TCP/IP.  The bug was reported many times in this
group.  Interactive's SSU.41a TCP/IP patch decreased the
frequency of the bug.

II. Hardware/software

I run Interactive UNIX Release 2.2.1 with the SSU.41a tcp/ip patch.
Machine has a mylex MWS-20 motherboard, adaptek 1542B
disk controller, and Western Digital 16 bit Ethercard Plus.

III. Description of problem

Ocasionally it becomes impossible to 'rcp' to the UNIX host.
rcp requests return with a timeout error message.  A reboot
solves the problem.

IV. Detail

I try the following from the machine cdp.igc.org  :

   rcp /tmp/steve sf.igc.org:/tmp/steve

It returns the error condition :

   sf.igc.org: Connection timed out

Other network services, such as telnet and ftp continue to work fine.

'netstat -a' on sf.igc.org indicates that 'shell' is stuck in CLOSED
state :

 Active Internet connections (including servers)
 Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
 tcp        0      0  sf.igc.org.login       cdp.igc.org.1023       ESTABLISHED
 tcp        0   5120  sf.igc.org.shell       cdp.igc.org.1023       CLOSED
 tcp        0      0  *.time                 *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.daytime              *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.chargen              *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.discard              *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.echo                 *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.exec                 *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.login                *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.shell                *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.telnet               *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.ftp                  *.*                    LISTEN
 tcp        0      0  *.*                    *.*                    CLOSED
 udp        0      0  *.3131                 *.*
 udp        0      0  *.1025                 *.*
 udp        0      0  *.1024                 *.*
 udp        0      0  *.syslog               *.*
 udp        0      0  *.*                    *.*

'ps -ef' on sf.igc.org shows that there are no unusual network-related
processes :

  UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY      TIME COMMAND
 root    72     1  0  Feb 13  ?       10:47 netsched
 root    74     1  0  Feb 13  ?        0:00 /etc/netd
 root    85     1  0  Feb 13  ?        3:17 /etc/rwhod
 root    87     1  0  Feb 13  ?        0:45 /etc/syslogd
 root    84     1  0  Feb 13  ?        0:03 /etc/inetd
 root  6385    84 10 12:14:45 ?        0:01 rlogind

A reboot returns 'rcp' to a working state for a few days.

V. Resolution

I am happy to assist interactive's support and engineering staffs
in any way practical, to repair the bug.

Could you please give me some information :

  1. Is this a new or standing bug report ?

  2. What is the schedule for fixing it ?

I'm fine with, "we don't consider this an important bug,
and so it may not be fixed for many months."  I would not
be well served by an no acknowledgement or an ambiguous answer.

Thank you for the service,

Steven Fram
Technical Director
Institute for Global Communications (IGC)
steve@igc.org
cdp!steve

nealpo@b1.ism.isc.com (Neal Pollack) (02/18/91)

In article <654400017@cdp> steve@cdp.UUCP writes:

>The problem with tcp/ip connections hanging in CLOSED state,
>and accepting no more connections on a particular tcp port
>
>Could you please give me some information :

The tcp closed socket problem *is* currently being addressed, and is
a logged bug.  It has been replicated in house, and is being worked on.

Disclaimer:  I am not part of support or development, so please do not
drown me with mail.  I am simply posting this to assure you that we
are listening, and are working on it at a high priority.

Sincerely,

Neal Pollack