[comp.unix.sysv386] Adding a second IDE harddrive question

vandyke@carina.unm.edu (Jeff VanDyke) (02/19/91)

I have a 386 box running Interactive UNIX 3.2.2.  I currently
have a 200Mb conners harddrive.  I would like to add a second
IDE 200Mb harddrive.  My dealer thinks unless both harddrives
are identical it plain won't work.

Anyone out there know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff VanDyke
University of NewMexico
vandyke@unmvax.cs.unm.edu

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (02/19/91)

vandyke@carina.unm.edu (Jeff VanDyke) writes:
>I have a 386 box running Interactive UNIX 3.2.2.  I currently
>have a 200Mb conners harddrive.  I would like to add a second
>IDE 200Mb harddrive.  My dealer thinks unless both harddrives
>are identical it plain won't work.

It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (02/20/91)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
>slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
>master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
>you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.

What about the cable?  Is it just a straight daisy chain, or does the
second connector get a twist?  If so, which leads are twisted?

Thanks,

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) (02/20/91)

In article <21700@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>
>>It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
>>slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
>>master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
>>you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.
>
>What about the cable?  Is it just a straight daisy chain, or does the
>second connector get a twist?  If so, which leads are twisted?

The cable has no twist -- just a straight 40-line cable.  The master/slave
selection is done with a change in jumper settings on BOTH drives (at least
with Conner IDEs).

David

 David Dawes (dawes@suphys.physics.su.oz.au) DoD#210   | Phone: +612 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia    | Fax:   +612 660 2903

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (02/21/91)

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>
>>It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
>>slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
>>master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
>>you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.
>
>What about the cable?  Is it just a straight daisy chain, or does the
>second connector get a twist?  If so, which leads are twisted?

Straight daisy chain.  The master/slave configuration of the drive handles the
rest.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

news@to.rushpc (Usenet news administrator) (02/21/91)

In article <7666@crash.cts.com> jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>>jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>>
>>>It should work with no problem.  You just configure the second drive as a
>>>slave drive and make sure the one you want to boot from is configured as a
>>>master drive in a dual hard drive configuration.  If your dealer won't help
>>>you, I'm sure that the hard drive manufacturer will.
>>
>>What about the cable?  Is it just a straight daisy chain, or does the
>>second connector get a twist?  If so, which leads are twisted?
>
>Straight daisy chain.  The master/slave configuration of the drive handles the
>rest.

I never saw the original article and I'm new to the net and have difficulty
posting but, I would like to make the following info available.  I installed
a second IDE drive, Seagate 71MB, I believe it was an ST271.  Anyway I could
not get it to work and after talking with Seagate Tech Support, I found that
you do have to put a twist in the cable.  Pin 1 starts on the opposite end
of the connector from all there other drives.  After I put the twist in, the
second drive worked like a champ.

John Rushford

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (02/22/91)

news@to.rushpc (Usenet news administrator) writes:
>I never saw the original article and I'm new to the net and have difficulty
>posting but, I would like to make the following info available.  I installed
>a second IDE drive, Seagate 71MB, I believe it was an ST271.  Anyway I could
>not get it to work and after talking with Seagate Tech Support, I found that
>you do have to put a twist in the cable.  Pin 1 starts on the opposite end
>of the connector from all there other drives.  After I put the twist in, the
>second drive worked like a champ.

Hmm.  That was not the case when I installed a pair of Conner CP-3184's in a
Novell server awhile back.

Again, your mileage will vary.

     // JCA

 /*