[comp.unix.sysv386] ftp under ISC 2.2 TCP/IP

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) (02/15/91)

I'm running Interactive's TCP/IP version 1.2 under ISC's 2.2 OS.
I am having trouble with ftp.  I'm just trying something simple
like ftp localhost.  I get logged in ok, but when I try a command
like ls I get:

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

I've tried and I've tried but I'm still mystified.  I just can't
figure out what's not configured correctly (I'm assuming ubd).
rlogin works correctly to localhost as does rsh (just make sure you
use /usr/ucb/rsh instead of /bin/rsh :-)

I'm using the loopback driver.  I have no ethernet cards installed.
It's either loopback or SLIP.  Using SLIP I get the same error.

Any suggestions or hints greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
misko@mathworks.com
abhg!misko@lll-winken.llnl.gov

djc@Kesa.COM (Don Christensen) (02/22/91)

misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:

>I'm running Interactive's TCP/IP version 1.2 under ISC's 2.2 OS.
>I am having trouble with ftp.  I'm just trying something simple
>like ftp localhost.  I get logged in ok, but when I try a command
>like ls I get:

>ftp> ls
>200 PORT command successful.
>421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

We had the exact same problem.  We eventually tracked it down to the
fact that we had more than three entries in the /etc/shells file.
Don't ask me why that would cause the problem, but once we changed it,
ftp then worked.  If you find that this does not fix the problem for
you, let me know.

>Any suggestions or hints greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

No problem.

>Bill Miskovetz
>{uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
>misko@mathworks.com
>abhg!misko@lll-winken.llnl.gov

Don Christensen
--
Don Christensen  <=> djc@kesa.com     <=> "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend;
Kesa Corporation <=> ...!mips!kesa!djc <=> they are all equal in the end."

wgb@balkan.TNT.COM (William G. Bunton) (02/25/91)

In article <363@abhg.UUCP> misko@abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
>Great thanks go out to Don.  I had 3 entries in my /etc/shells file.
>Deleting one of them got FTP working just fine.  I can now log in as
>a regular user and use FTP.  This is a very strange bug.  And I would
>consider it a bug.  Of course maybe it's documented and I missed it.

For what it's worth, here's my /etc/shells:

#
# Let's insert some comments, to make getusershell allocate
# a bit more memory.  Maybe that will help some.
#
/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/tcsh
/bin/bash
/bin/ksh

And, in response to the comment, that did help.  Seems there's a
memory allocation bug in getusershell; the comment forces it to
allocate more memory, and things work fine now.
--
William G. Bunton              | An engineer is a man who can do for five bob
wgb@balkan.tnt.com             | what any bloody fool can do for a quid.