[comp.unix.sysv386] AT&T Alternate/Remote Console ??

dennis@nebulus.ampr.org (Dennis S. Breckenridge) (02/24/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>It says, "The AT&T Model 605 terminal must be in PC (xt) mode to CONTROL
                                                  ^^^^^^^
												  MEANS XT Style keyboard

>do the emphasized phrases mean? What are their significances if I want
>to use a non-605 terminal, e.g., an old VT100-like device?

No PC-XT keyboard emulation on a vt100. No big deal if you dont want to
have multiple vt's on the console. The emphasized phrases are functions
performed with a PC-XT style keyboard on the console.
          Dennis S. Breckenridge VE7TCP [44.135.160.59]  dennis@nebulus
              IP in a landline snail mail's world!

dvc@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (david.a.vancleef) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.202936.25306@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>The AT&T documentation about alternate and remote consoles for SV/386 is
>confusing.  I wonder if someone can explain a couple of things.
>
>It says, "The AT&T Model 605 terminal must be in PC (xt) mode to CONTROL
>DIAGNOSTICS [emphasis added], and in normal mode to communicate with the
>UNIX Operating System and to CONTROL BOOTSTRAP [emphasis added]." What
>do the emphasized phrases mean? What are their significances if I want
>to use a non-605 terminal, e.g., an old VT100-like device?

Using a non-605 will mean that you can have alternate console, but you
won't be able to enter the rom-based setup with the terminal.  The
rom-setup requires that you have a terminal that will generate PC scan
codes over the serial link.