[comp.unix.sysv386] 1 Gigabyte drives

jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) (02/21/91)

 Hello,
     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about
     a Fujitsu drive because of the 5 yr warrenty. Anyone out there have
     any experience good or bad, with 1 Gb. drives under ISC 2.2? Any help
     would be appreciated.
--
"In this world you must be OH so smart or OH so pleasant...
			 I recommend pleasant"----> Elwood P. Dowd

jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:
>     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
>     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about

With SCSI you will get better performance from 2 670MB drives than from
a single 1GB drive.

>     a Fujitsu drive because of the 5 yr warrenty. Anyone out there have
>     any experience good or bad, with 1 Gb. drives under ISC 2.2? Any help

They work (we set up a system for a client with a seagate 1GB).  NO problems
with the setup or since delivery.  The only thing to remember is that
file system mount/unmount time will be very long when ISC reads the free
list unless you fill up the drive.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

grant@bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) (02/23/91)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>>     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
>>     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about

>With SCSI you will get better performance from 2 670MB drives than from
>a single 1GB drive.

 True, performance will be better with the two 670's (assuming that the
1 gig drive isn't being added to an already functioning system) but
costwise the 1 gig drive can be cheaper then two 670 meg drives.
For example, it would have cost almost $1500 more for me to add a pair
of 670 meg drives than it did for me to get this WREN VII 1.2 gig drive
and add it in (even though I did have room for two more hard drives
under the ISC HPDD). These things have to be weighed for each site and
the situation (maybe they won't see the same kind of deal...).

>with the setup or since delivery.  The only thing to remember is that
>file system mount/unmount time will be very long when ISC reads the free
>list unless you fill up the drive.

 You ain't just whistling Dixie with that...
--
 Grant DeLorean  (grant@bluemoon)    {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!grant

aab@cichlid.com (Andy Burgess) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb20.220548.6054@news.larc.nasa.gov> jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:

> Hello,
>     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
>     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about
>     a Fujitsu drive because of the 5 yr warrenty. Anyone out there have
>     any experience good or bad, with 1 Gb. drives under ISC 2.2? Any help
>     would be appreciated.
>--
>"In this world you must be OH so smart or OH so pleasant...
>			 I recommend pleasant"----> Elwood P. Dowd
>Lockheed Eng. and Sci. Co./Nasa Larc|J. Keith Alston jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov

I have a 660Mb Fujitsu (not on an ISC machine) and am happy with it.

I am posting because I found a good price for Fujitsu drives recently.
$1470 for 660Mb and $2266 for 1.2 Gb from R-squared, 415 438 0800.

Has anyone had experience with R-squared???

They claim to support the 48 hour turnaround for the 5 year warranty.

Andy

--
Andy Burgess
Independent Software Consultant and Developer

dougp@ico.isc.com (Doug Pintar) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb23.201754.2275@cichlid.com> aab@cichlid.com (Andy Burgess) writes:
>In article <1991Feb20.220548.6054@news.larc.nasa.gov> jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:
>>
>> Hello,
>>     I'm running interactive unix 2.2 and am looking into 1 Gb. SCSI
>>     drives. I have the Adaptec 1542A controller and am thinking about
>>     a Fujitsu drive because of the 5 yr warrenty. Anyone out there have
>>     any experience good or bad, with 1 Gb. drives under ISC 2.2? Any help
>>     would be appreciated.
>
>I am posting because I found a good price for Fujitsu drives recently.
>$1470 for 660Mb and $2266 for 1.2 Gb from R-squared, 415 438 0800.

I replied by mail to the original poster, but it's probably a good idea to
put this out to the net in general.  There has been a problem reported with
drives > 1GB, at least using the Adaptec 154x SCSI host adapter.  There seems
to be some sort of overflow problem such that all disk addresses are
interpreted as modulo 1 GB.  This means that the last 200 MB on a 1.2 GB drive
will wrap around to the beginning of the drive, trashing whatever is there.
This is being investigated.  As a temporary work-around, you can tell the
system that the drive is limited to 1024 virtual (1 MB) "cylinders" and things
seem to be ok.
Cheers,
DLP