[comp.unix.sysv386] ET400 Card

ccastdd@prism.gatech.EDU (David Preston Dykes) (02/16/91)

I clipped this out of a relatively old artical:
VGA card

|> >  I think that the ET4000 should be first priority, since the price is
|> >just coming down the the range of working people ($200-300).
|>
|> So which is the best ET4000 card?  (And what's a good price on an 8514 card
|> for comparison?)

Please forgive me for posting this to this group but only here will it
reach its intended audiance.

	I have an STB PowerGraph with 1Mb that I will sell for $200.
This card employs the ET4000 chipset for which Thomas Roell wrote his
now famous server, in addition it comes with drivers for mswindows 3.0 (sic),
autocad/shade and most of the other biggies.  If you have any further questions
please just ask.
 r--_____      r---__  r--_____     |
 |       \     |_____) |       \    |"Byte me!"
 L_______/avid |reston L_______/ykes|	-me
David Preston  Dykes -User Assistant|
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastdd
Internet: ccastdd@prism.gatech.edu

In article <22110@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastdd@prism.gatech.EDU (David Preston Dykes) writes:

| 	I have an STB PowerGraph with 1Mb that I will sell for $200.
| This card employs the ET4000 chipset for which Thomas Roell wrote his
| now famous server, in addition it comes with drivers for mswindows 3.0 (sic),
| autocad/shade and most of the other biggies.  If you have any further questions
| please just ask.

  And if you miss this bargain you can get a SWAN board, with ET4000,
1MB, and a waranty for $199. It comes with drivers, but I only run UNIX
so I don't particular care which one's. If you do, you should call and
ask, their phone people were very sharp, a real surprise.

  When I called I didn't have the part number, but I asked for a 1MB
board with ET4000 and they knew which one it was. They knew about asking
if I wanted the interlaced or non model (unfortunately separate boards),
and when I asked about UNIX they kew Xenix and ISC worked, which is
loads better than I usually get. Price dropped from $229 to $199 w/ 1MB
recently, so I won by waiting.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

gk@kksys.mn.org (Greg Kemnitz) (02/28/91)

In article <3221@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
|In article <22110@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastdd@prism.gatech.EDU (David Preston Dykes) writes:
|| 	I have an STB PowerGraph with 1Mb that I will sell for $200.
||This card employs the ET4000 chipset for which Thomas Roell wrote his
||now famous server, in addition it comes with drivers for mswindows 3.0 (sic),
||autocad/shade and most of the other biggies. If you have any further questions
||please just ask.
|
|  And if you miss this bargain you can get a SWAN board, with ET4000,
|1MB, and a waranty for $199. It comes with drivers, but I only run UNIX

... and in case anyone cares, I have a few of the STB boards populated
with 512K, socketed for the full 1 MB, that I overbought on... I am
asking $149, and will include chips to update them to 1 MB for an
additional $30, for a net of $179 on a full 1 MB board.

--
Greg Kemnitz / K and K Systems / PO Box 47804 / Plymouth, MN 55447-0804
Domain: gk@kksys.mn.org / UUCP: ...!uunet!tcnet!kksys!gk

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (03/01/91)

In article <3305@kksys.mn.org> gk@kksys.mn.org (Greg Kemnitz) writes:
>In article <3221@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>|In article <22110@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastdd@prism.gatech.EDU (David Preston Dykes) writes:
>|| 	I have an STB PowerGraph with 1Mb that I will sell for $200.
>||This card employs the ET4000 chipset for which Thomas Roell wrote his
>||now famous server, in addition it comes with drivers for mswindows 3.0 (sic),
>||autocad/shade and most of the other biggies. If you have any further questions
>||please just ask.
>|
>|  And if you miss this bargain you can get a SWAN board, with ET4000,
>|1MB, and a waranty for $199. It comes with drivers, but I only run UNIX
>
>... and in case anyone cares, I have a few of the STB boards populated
>with 512K, socketed for the full 1 MB, that I overbought on... I am
>asking $149, and will include chips to update them to 1 MB for an
>additional $30, for a net of $179 on a full 1 MB board.

To add some fun into this "bargain" thread,  last week a friend of mine bought
a ET4000 based card with *ONE MEG* made by Boca Research from a mail order
place in Arizona, called Warehouse 54, for $158 (Fed Exp 2nd day shipping
included).

He is quite happy with it using it for MSWIN3.x apps.  I don't know whether
it's good for Thomas Roell's server however, since I don't have it's spec.

BTW, Warehouse 54 -> 1-800-955-0054 a number you can find in Computer Shoppers.

Standard Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation whatsoever with either Boca
                      Research or Warehouse 54.  The statements above are
                      strictly for info only.

Check it out however with the Tech Support of Boca Research however.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu