[comp.unix.sysv386] fdisk/powerdown

protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) (02/01/91)

Occasionally my brother would like to use some DOS applications
while I am away from my computer which is running ESIX.

I would like to give him the following instructions:
1. Turn on computer monitor.
2. Press ALT-F1.
3. Turn off the modem only if the lights aren't flashing.
3. Type 'autodown'
4. Wait for a minute until it says 'Press any key to reboot',
   then press a key.

What I would like is someone to tell me what commands need to
go into the 'autodown' script which would do an fdisk to
the dos partition and then do an immediate powerdown (without
prompting for confirmation).

Is this possible?

--
Mike Protofanousis
msp@pronet.chi.il.us

jjohnson@peyote.cactus.org (Jeff Johnson) (02/02/91)

In article <4620@cocoa7.UUCP> protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:
>Occasionally my brother would like to use some DOS applications
>while I am away from my computer which is running ESIX.
>
>I would like to give him the following instructions:
[stuff deleted]
>Is this possible?

What you really want is the bootmenu package posted here a couple of
months ago by Gordon W. Ross (gwr@linus.mitre.org).  It lets you choose
the partition to boot from a menu or to set a timeout and boot the
default partition.  I have been running it on my Esix system for four
months now without a problem.

It comes with its own version of fdisk that lets you install a new boot
sector with the menu or timeout.  The DOS version has a problem with
int=16bits instead of int=32bits, but I used the Unix version.  I have
patched the DOS version, but it isn't complete yet.

Here is the README from the package:

|  Bedford, MA 01730 (U.S.A.)	|

--
Jeff Johnson		10926 Jollyville #1420, Austin, TX 78759
Computer Consultant	(512) 343-0675		(512) 750-UNIX

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (02/02/91)

In article <4620@cocoa7.UUCP> protofan@motcid.UUCP (Mike S. Protofanousis) writes:
>What I would like is someone to tell me what commands need to
>go into the 'autodown' script which would do an fdisk to
>the dos partition and then do an immediate powerdown (without
>prompting for confirmation).
>
>Is this possible?

I don't know if you can feed information to the sys V fdisk program,
but I do know that DOS will boot successfully off a floppy and
will be able to recognize drive C: on your hard disk even though it's
not the boot partition.

Perhaps it'd be easier to just set up a DOS boot floppy with the
CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, etc from your hard disk and have your
brother boot from that...then he'd just have to use the normal
shutdown command.

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett) (03/01/91)

In comp.unix.sysv386 you write:

>Occasionally my brother would like to use some DOS applications
>while I am away from my computer which is running ESIX.

>I would like to give him the following instructions:
>1. Turn on computer monitor.
>2. Press ALT-F1.
>3. Turn off the modem only if the lights aren't flashing.
>3. Type 'autodown'
>4. Wait for a minute until it says 'Press any key to reboot',
>   then press a key.

>What I would like is someone to tell me what commands need to
>go into the 'autodown' script which would do an fdisk to
>the dos partition and then do an immediate powerdown (without
>prompting for confirmation).

>Is this possible?

>--
>Mike Protofanousis
>msp@pronet.chi.il.us
>uunet!motcid!protofan

At work we have quite a few laptops that the sales people use. These
are setup with 60MB of dos and 140MB with Interactive.  They need to
change back and forth with this system and what I have setup for them
is a dos boot diskette.  The important things to to are in setting up
the autoexec.bat and config.sys on the boot disk.  In the config.sys
file make sure that all drivers that are loaded have complete path such
as 'device=c:\dos\vdisk.sys' and that you include 'comspec=c:\command.com'.
In the autoexec.bat file you also need to make sure that anything that calls
an external program uses complete path and the last thing in the file is
'c:'.  With this setup you only have to have your brother run shutdown,
and put the boot disk in the drive. When the system comes up he will be
in dos and everything will work properly (hopefully).

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!{emory,gatech}!wa4mei!rsj   | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217